2015 / 2016 Line Up

2slowtogofast

Question for you guys

Would you trade the 21st and 51st and BUF's 2016 3rd for Kessel(22%)

He'd be at around 6.25 a year in cap hit, and is 27 at this time.

Of course I would. Toronto laughs and subscribes to another year of locker room donuts if that's the best offer they get for Kessel.

They're not going to give Kessel away. He's one of the very best wingers in the game. He's not for some. I wouldn't pay the price that I think will eventually be paid to pry Kessel out of Toronto, but somebody will.

Edited by Hoss

I think we could hit 80 to 85 to be honest, playoffs still quite a long shot but an enjoyable season regardless.

Kane 30g

Eichel 20g

Ennis 25g

Girgs 20g

Moulson 20g 

Reinhart ? 10-20g varying on his time he spends in Buffalo

Grigo 15g I can see it

With even just 5 of the 7 we're head over heels better.

da da  da da da I'm likin it

No thanks.  The highest-paid guys on the team have to buy in and play hard.  Otherwise a bad tone is set that is hard to overcome -- especially on a young team that needs to learn how to play the game.

As for Justin Williams -- no thanks there too.  He is out of gas.

Suddenly. I respect you! :thumbsup:

Still don't want to trade Grigorenko, when it comes to center prospects he still is the most developped we got at this point.   Also the only one good at face offs.

I will have to see a therapist if this happens, again...Casey Bailey, Mike Babcock, Ryan O'Reilly...I'll lose it. For 2 years there was nobody I wanted more than Evander Kane and Ryan O'Reilly, they are what Murray wants to build. Put them with Eichel...geeeezus, talk about "heavy."

I'll drive to Toronto and take a dump on Mike Babcock's F-150's hood, if they end up snagging O'Reilly, and Buffalo has a chance.

EDIT: Forgot to add the quote, lol...

What has apparently happened, though, is the Avalanche have quietly targeted a few specific teams – Buffalo and Toronto are the ones mentioned most often in rumours, but absolute confirmations have been hard to come by and it's been suggested to me Toronto and Colorado have previously had conversation about O'Reilly but nothing recently – they see as the best fit in terms of having both significant interest in O'Reilly and also the requisite blueline piece or pieces that Colorado wants and needs in return.

Question for you guys

Would you trade the 21st and 51st and BUF's 2016 3rd for Kessel(22%)[/size]

He'd be at around 6.25 a year in cap hit, and is 27 at this time.[/size]

I would much rather try and trade for O'Reilly or Toffoli, even Oshie...I don't want Kessel around these kids.

(And I'm ALL about getting American players in here, just NOT Phil Kessel.)

Edited by Bob Malooga

If the Sabres were two-three years down the line in this re-build I would say yes on Phil Kessel. When next year starts Kessel will be 28 and in his 30's when this team is getting ready to do some serious wining. Kessel's game is built on speed, I can't imagine a 30 something Kessel will have the same speed as 27 year old Kessel. It rarely works like that. I can see teams like Montreal or the Islanders taking a run at Kessel with the idea that he can be a final piece. 

If I am Tim Muray and I am looking to add a couple of more veterans to the mix I am starting in goal. Kari Ramo is a UFA, I'd like the Sabres to take a run at Ramo.

I wouldn't be in such a hurry to trade away 2015 draft picks. It's reported to be a deep draft. As much as I like the idea of Jack Eichel, the Sabres still need to come away from the 2015 draft with more than Eichel if this franchise is going to turn around. If the Sabres are going to move #21 and any of the seconds, IMO, it has to be for a chance to move back into the top 10. 

Edited by DeLuca1967

If the Sabres were two-three years down the line in this re-build I would say yes on Phil Kessel. When next year starts Kessel will be 28 and in his 30's when this team is getting ready to do some serious wining. Kessel's game is built on speed, I can't imagine a 30 something Kessel will have the same speed as 27 year old Kessel. It rarely works like that. I can see teams like Montreal or the Islanders taking a run at Kessel with the idea that he can be a final piece. 

If I am Tim Muray and I am looking to add a couple of more veterans to the mix I am starting in goal. Kari Ramo is a UFA, I'd like the Sabres to take a run at Ramo.

I wouldn't be in such a hurry to trade away 2015 draft picks. It's reported to be a deep draft. As much as I like the idea of Jack Eichel, the Sabres still need to come away from the 2015 draft with more than Eichel if this franchise is going to turn around. If the Sabres are going to move #21 and any of the seconds, IMO, it has to be for a chance to move back into the top 10. 

I think he is on record as saying that he will move the picks but for a young players two or three years ahead of the player he would be drafting at 21. Think Kirby Reichel or someone along those lines.

Columbus is looking to make a run at a playoff spot, is swapping out young prospects for picks or another young prospect make sense for them? I would tend to think that a team in Columbus's position would be more interested in a Josh Gorges (NHL defenseman) type.  

Columbus is looking to make a run at a playoff spot, is swapping out young prospects for picks or another young prospect make sense for them? I would tend to think that a team in Columbus's position would be more interested in a Josh Gorges (NHL defenseman) type.  

I think Pysyk is already a better NHL defenseman than Gorges.  Obviously we only got a few games to get a look at him this year, but he played quite well.  Gorges, on the other hand, barely has anything left in the tank at this point.

I think Pysyk is already a better NHL defenseman than Gorges.  Obviously we only got a few games to get a look at him this year, but he played quite well.  Gorges, on the other hand, barely has anything left in the tank at this point.

That all may be true. I think Gorges' 600 reg season games and 68 playoff games is the difference makers for Columbus. 2 playoff appearances in 14 years, they need to start winning.  

For all the complaints about O'Reilly being a left winger/center it's interesting that the suggestion is to spend assets on Rychel... Who is a left winger.

I was using him as an example of the kind of player TM would be looking at not necessarily targeting him.

Actually a young defenseman is exactly what they are looking for. They are pretty well set in their top 4 and are looking to swap young depth players because of how deep they are upfront

I was using him as an example of the kind of player TM would be looking at not necessarily targeting him.

Actually a young defenseman is exactly what they are looking for. They are pretty well set in their top 4 and are looking to swap young depth players because of how deep they are upfront

The Blue Jackets have a big RW in Josh Anderson that fits what you were saying. 6'3 212lbs and is only 21 years old. Put up some pretty decent numbers in juniors. Best seasons came after he was drafted in the 4th round. If the Sabres are going to make a move like you suggested, this Josh Anderson would be a decent return. 

Ah, makes sense.

Are they set in their top four? I don't think so. They've got Johnson, Savard and Tyutin. They could use another vet in the mix. They've got some young defensemen (Murray, Connauton, Heatherington and Reilly if they can keep him).

The Sabres do NOT have defensive depth right now. I'm not sure we can afford to just trade away Pysyk or McCabe or Zadarov.

Maybe we'll address it in the draft. I hope so.

Defensemen

MARK ADAMS   6' 3" 210 MAY 23, 1991 24 BOXFORD, MA, USA  

BRADY AUSTIN   6' 3" 234 JUN 16, 1993 21 BOBCAYGEON, ON, CAN

DREW BAGNALL   6' 3" 220 OCT 26, 1983 31 OAKBANK, MB, CAN  

ANTHONY FLORENTINO   6' 1" 227 JAN 30, 1995 20 BOSTON, MA, USA

JEROME LEDUC   6' 1" 192 JUL 30, 1992 22 QUEBEC CITY, QC, CAN  

BRYCEN MARTIN   6' 2" 195 MAY 9, 1996 19 CALGARY, AB, CAN  

JAKE MCCABE   6' 0" 195 OCT 12, 1993 21 EAU CLAIRE, WI, USA

MARK PYSYK   6' 1" 192 JAN 11, 1992 23 SHERWOOD PARK, AB, CAN

Edited by MBHockey13

The Sabres do NOT have defensive depth right now. I'm not sure we can afford to just trade away Pysyk or McCabe or Zadarov.

Maybe we'll address it in the draft. I hope so.

Defensemen

MARK ADAMS   6' 3" 210 MAY 23, 1991 24 BOXFORD, MA, USA  

BRADY AUSTIN   6' 3" 234 JUN 16, 1993 21 BOBCAYGEON, ON, CAN

DREW BAGNALL   6' 3" 220 OCT 26, 1983 31 OAKBANK, MB, CAN  

ANTHONY FLORENTINO   6' 1" 227 JAN 30, 1995 20 BOSTON, MA, USA

JEROME LEDUC   6' 1" 192 JUL 30, 1992 22 QUEBEC CITY, QC, CAN  

BRYCEN MARTIN   6' 2" 195 MAY 9, 1996 19 CALGARY, AB, CAN  

JAKE MCCABE   6' 0" 195 OCT 12, 1993 21 EAU CLAIRE, WI, USA

MARK PYSYK   6' 1" 192 JAN 11, 1992 23 SHERWOOD PARK, AB, CAN

I've brought this up in the last few months.  Assuming Pysyk is with the Sabres, that leaves McCabe who is coming off two concussions in his first pro season and...???

We don't have depth of defensive prospects outside of the NHL, but consider the following:

Zach Bogosian - 24

Mark Pysyk - 23

Jake McCabe - 21

Rasmus Ristolainen - 20

Nikita Zadorov - 20

That's five guys under the age of 25. Anthony Florentino and Brycen Martin are two decent prospects outside of that.

We've acquired the luxury of not needing to scramble to refill the defense ranks. I think, regardless of whether or not one or two of the above names are dealt, we should add a veteran or two. At least one who can play top-four minutes and the other could be a depth guy for Rochester that is part of injury callups.

We don't have depth of defensive prospects outside of the NHL, but consider the following:

Zach Bogosian - 24

Mark Pysyk - 23

Jake McCabe - 21

Rasmus Ristolainen - 20

Nikita Zadorov - 20

That's five guys under the age of 25. Anthony Florentino and Brycen Martin are two decent prospects outside of that.

We've acquired the luxury of not needing to scramble to refill the defense ranks. I think, regardless of whether or not one or two of the above names are dealt, we should add a veteran or two. At least one who can play top-four minutes and the other could be a depth guy for Rochester that is part of injury callups.

And that's a very valid point. If you are doing it right, depth becomes cyclical. You need to identify which players will fill your top 5 or 6 and then move the rest when their value is at its highest point.

And that's a very valid point. If you are doing it right, depth becomes cyclical. You need to identify which players will fill your top 5 or 6 and then move the rest when their value is at its highest point.

Well said.

I think McCabe is the only one of the group that could be sent to the AHL without any risk. Pysyk due to waivers and Zadorov due to immaturity issues.

Edited by Hoss

We should be looking hard at later rounds defenders.  We have several 4th round picks that if used right could result in some depth defense.

Also I like using our late 1st on a defender if we don't trade it. 

Anyone in mind at #21 or is there a defender the Sabres should be moving up to take a run at. I've looked over some mock drafts and there seems to be defenders throughout the first round. Just wondering if there is a consensus d-man fans would like to see in the blue & gold. 

Anyone in mind at #21 or is there a defender the Sabres should be moving up to take a run at. I've looked over some mock drafts and there seems to be defenders throughout the first round. Just wondering if there is a consensus d-man fans would like to see in the blue & gold. 

At 21 Jakub Zboril is the one that appears to fit our needs best: two-way guy, left-handed shot, with an edge.

But there are others around that spot:

Jeremy Roy is small but not soft and can QB the PP.

Brandon Carlo is a Tallinder type

And Oliver Kylington might be the best skater in the draft. A year ago they were talking a top five pick and comparing him to Karlsson. But he had a terrible year and has dropped like a rock. Might be available in the second round.

As for trading up Zach Werenski and Ivan Provorov are great prospects.

We would likely have to move into the top 10 to acquire one though.

Edited by dudacek

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.