2015 / 2016 Line Up

2slowtogofast

I'm thinking that is the most realistic version of our depth chart as it stands today, assuming Reinhart doesn't leap past Grigorenko and Hodgson is this year's Hodgson.

Best-case scenario:

* 50 goals combined from Kane and Eichel

* Noticeable improvement from Larsson, Grigorenko and Girgensons

* What we got in the last month or two from the other four in the top nine.

* Good health

Assuming the defence is improved and we acquire a decent goalie 70-75 points?

I think we could hit 80 to 85 to be honest, playoffs still quite a long shot but an enjoyable season regardless.

Kane 30g

Eichel 20g

Ennis 25g

Girgs 20g

Moulson 20g 

Reinhart ? 10-20g varying on his time he spends in Buffalo

Grigo 15g I can see it

With even just 5 of the 7 we're head over heels better.

I'm thinking that is the most realistic version of our depth chart as it stands today, assuming Reinhart doesn't leap past Grigorenko and Hodgson is this year's Hodgson.

Best-case scenario:

* 50 goals combined from Kane and Eichel

* Noticeable improvement from Larsson, Grigorenko and Girgensons

* What we got in the last month or two from the other four in the top nine.

* Good health

Assuming the defence is improved and we acquire a decent goalie 70-75 points?

Low 70s seems reasonable given those growth assumptions. Historically that's one of the bottom teams in the league...and much more watchable than the last two years :lol:

What would you guys think of Murray failed to make any significant trade or free agent additions up front and we ended up with a forward lineup next year that simply added a new first line:

Kane Eichel Girgensons

Moulson Larsson Ennis

Foligno Girgorenko Gionta

Deslauriers McCormick Kaleta

I don't like that set up, i doubt grigorenko will stay on the center position. 

Moulson - Eichel - Ennis

Kane - Reinhart  - Grigorenko

Foligno - larsson - Girgensons

Deslauriers - McCormick - gionta

Kaleta

I think this setup would have better chemistry, Also doubt nobody gets traded for a top 6 RW.

TSN Preview of the 2015-16 Sabres

http://www.tsn.ca/off-season-game-plan-buffalo-sabres-1.267947

calls them a lottery team next year and I completely agree.

They may be competing in the lottery and I can agree. It all depends on what happens between the end of the playoffs/draft time and in free agency/trade time.  There are miracles every season.  It would be safer to assume they will be picking in the top 10 though for sure come draft time in 2016. 

I don't like that set up, i doubt grigorenko will stay on the center position. 

Moulson - Eichel - Ennis

Kane - Reinhart  - Grigorenko

Foligno - larsson - Girgensons

Deslauriers - McCormick - gionta

Kaleta

I think this setup would have better chemistry, Also doubt nobody gets traded for a top 6 RW.

So we're gonna put our captain and the only true RW currently on our roster on the 4th line so we can put a bunch of left handed centers at right wing? That makes no sense at all. Edited by Drunkard

I think that looks like one bad hockey team. Not 50 point bad, mind you, but bad.

I think GMTM adds two quality forwards and at least one D. He knows that line up is poopey as well.

Since when did everyone start using "lottery team" for NHL squads. It's been use heavily in basketball for a while but I've only heard hockey use it the last year or so.

It makes it sound so much worse than, "missed the playoffs".

I think GMTM adds two quality forwards and at least one D. He knows that line up is poopey as well.

Since when did everyone start using "lottery team" for NHL squads. It's been use heavily in basketball for a while but I've only heard hockey use it the last year or so.

To which lineup? I'd expect before the season is over, Reinhart and a RW will be added to what Dudacek proposed. That's in addition to 2 FA D (plus likely Pysyk) added to the current batch of D.

I'd expect the RW will be expensive if he isn't a Chris Stewart stopgap. (And I expect the goal is top line, not stopgap.)

Edited by Taro T

They just recently made every non playoff team a lottery team so hence its rise to prominence. 

They just recently made every non playoff team a lottery team so hence its rise to prominence. 

I agree, but every team was in the lottery before, just that if you were worse than #5 you couldn't truly "win", as in get the first pick.

I think we could hit 80 to 85 to be honest, playoffs still quite a long shot but an enjoyable season regardless.

Kane 30g

Eichel 20g

Ennis 25g

Girgs 20g

Moulson 20g 

Reinhart ? 10-20g varying on his time he spends in Buffalo

Grigo 15g I can see it

With even just 5 of the 7 we're head over heels better.

This is a pipe dream.  IMO...There is no way the Sabres will have five 20 goal scorers.  I only checked a couple teams this past season, but I would guess no NHL team last season had five 20 goal scorers....not to mention another one who gets 10-20, and yet another who gets 15.   :blink:  :blink:

This is a pipe dream.  IMO...There is no way the Sabres will have five 20 goal scorers.  I only checked a couple teams this past season, but I would guess no NHL team last season had five 20 goal scorers....not to mention another one who gets 10-20, and yet another who gets 15.   :blink:  :blink:

Agreed. I think at most we have 2 guys at 20goals... or the NHL decided to start calling interference again.

Hmmmm it looks like you're right... I checked a bunch of teams for this year... none had five 20-goal scorers.  Avalanche had five last year.

Edit: Pens last year too

Edited by Cereal

Kane Eichel Ennis

Moulson Girgensons Gionta

Foligno Grigorenko Reinhart

UFA Larsson Hodgson

Ristolainen Bogosian

Gorges Pysyk

Weber Zadorov

I don't love this lineup, but I don't hate it either. Ideally Reinhart(I want him to be too good for Rochester) will move up to Center during the season and Zemgus will be moved to wing.

I'm holding out hope for Grigorenko but would be OK with a trade. I'd also like to pick up Francois Beauchemin in free agency.

So we're gonna put our captain and the only true RW currently on our roster on the 4th line so we can put a bunch of left handed centers at right wing? That makes no sense at all.

Gionta is not a top 6 player. 

I also believe when this team becomes good, Girgensons ( I want skill over compete in our top 6 )  won't be in our top 6 either, and that may happen next year already.

Ennis, Kane, Eichel, Reinhart, Moulson + RW we trade for or Grigorenko those will be in our top 6 next year.

If moulson drops to 3rd line duty, he either started sucking really bad or our top 6 gotten much better.  

I would also try and start Hodgson out on top 6 RW if we don't have traded for one.

I believe next year we'll start to see the beginning of a team rolling out 3 lines again like the 2006 - 2008 sabres.

There are few RW candidates we should look at though.  Seeing i don't like the UFA RW market where Williams, Frolik, Stewart are your top 3.

We should be looking to trade for one.   Eriksson might be one of the cheapest options from a cap strapped bruins team.

Vrbata still rumoured to be on the trade block in vancouver, also cap strapped.

In the end it will most likely still be RoR we trade though, Stewart or frolik to round out the bottom 6 i wouldn't mind.

Edited by Heimdall

Ryan Getzlaf had 25 goals this season playing for one of the best teams in the NHL and we are prepared to say that the Buffalo Sabres will have 4 or 5 20goal guys... I would be stunned beyond words if that is how next season played out... Nay, I would be stunned beyond youtube videos.

Gionta is not a top 6 player. 

I also believe when this team becomes good, Girgensons ( I want skill over compete in our top 6 )  won't be in our top 6 either, and that may happen next year already.

Ennis, Kane, Eichel, Reinhart, Moulson + RW we trade for or Grigorenko those will be in our top 6 next year.

If moulson drops to 3rd line duty, he either started sucking really bad or our top 6 gotten much better.  

I would also try and start Hodgson out on top 6 RW if we don't have traded for one.

I believe next year we'll start to see the beginning of a team rolling out 3 lines again like the 2006 - 2008 sabres.

Gionta isn't a 4th line grinder either. If he doesn't go in the top 6 (which I agree with) then he needs to be right winger on the 3rd line, not put on a line with grinders just so we can stick another left handed center out of position on the right wing. Hodgson has a chance at a top 9 role on the right wing but I think there's a chance he's bought out. I think either Eichel or Reinhart will be playing RW to start the season though in a top 6 role.

possible/probable LW - Kane, Moulson, Foligno, Deslauriers, and possibly Larsson or Grigorenko

possible/probable Centers - Girgensons, Eichel, Reinhart, Grigorenko, Larsson, McCormick (if healthy)

possible/probable RW - Ennis (lefty C/W but he's been playing RW for a while now), Eichel, Reinhart, Gionta, possibly Kaleta (if resigned)

Ryan Getzlaf had 25 goals this season playing for one of the best teams in the NHL and we are prepared to say that the Buffalo Sabres will have 4 or 5 20goal guys... I would be stunned beyond words if that is how next season played out... Nay, I would be stunned beyond youtube videos.

Ennis had 20, Zemgus had 15 before being injured, Kane finally has a good center, and yes, I fully expect our prodigal child to score 20 goals his first season. It's really not that far out of the realm of possibility. Is scoring down? Yes, but it's peak is down, it's median is not. 

Ennis had 20, Zemgus had 15 before being injured, Kane finally has a good center, and yes, I fully expect our prodigal child to score 20 goals his first season. It's really not that far out of the realm of possibility. Is scoring down? Yes, but it's peak is down, it's median is not. 

Realm of possibility? Not, it's not out. But I don't think it's likely. At 20 goals, Tyler Ennis is tied around 90th in goals in the NHL.  On average, that means he'd be a borderline top-3 forward in the NHL (30 teams * 3 players). 4 or 5 players above 20 goals isn't impossible, but the Sabres will be having a pretty good year (way better than I expect) if they have 4-5 guys that are scoring on pace to be a top-3 guy on an NHL team.

I don't think this is unreasonable.

In a couple of years the Sabres couldbe the highest scoring team in the league. How much fun will that be?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.