2015 / 2016 Line Up

2slowtogofast

I don't know that they would make a good pairing.  Grigo is a guy who works well in space and Reinhart is a set up guy.  I'd rather one was paired with Larsson and the other a player like Girgensens.  Would make more complimentary pairs IMO.

Maybe.  I was thinking that Reinhart and Grigorenko both are very intelligent/creative players who might feed off of eachother.  I think Zemgus is going to be key to whatever line he is on.

O'Reilly has been on the wing since they drafted MacKinnon, as far as I know, and is solidly a top-6 player (probably first liner at that) on a good team. I don't think the existence of Girgensons and Larsson should preclude adding O'Reilly when he's simply better than they are and all three have center/wing versatility. I get the need to add a RW, but I'm not sure any of O'Reilly's caliber are going to be available (mourn capgeek), so I'll take the better player and move things around.

I'm simply not ready to pencil in Larsson or Girgensons into the top-6 when we're trying to win games and build a championship team. If they develop into that role then fantastic, we have top-6 caliber players on our 3rd line. That would be one hell of a dominant group of forwards and/or excellent trade bait for a defenseman if Zadorov doesn't work out or Pysyk's health is more serious than we know.

Edit: real hockey talk!!!

I think Zemgus gives me more going forward than O'Reilly.  I don't view Zemgus as a bottom 6 guy and I don't believe O'Reilly will re-sign with Buffalo if we acquired him.  It is a waste of assets.  

I think Zemgus gives me more going forward than O'Reilly. I don't view Zemgus as a bottom 6 guy and I don't believe O'Reilly will re-sign with Buffalo if we acquired him. It is a waste of assets.

Of course any deal for O'Reilly has to be predicated on the ability to speak to his agent and secure an extension. I love Zemgus, but O'Reilly has three straight 50 point seasons...let's see Zemgus crack 40 once (I know, the injury, but still).

Of course any deal for O'Reilly has to be predicated on the ability to speak to his agent and secure an extension. I love Zemgus, but O'Reilly has three straight 50 point seasons...let's see Zemgus crack 40 once (I know, the injury, but still).

I get that O'Reilly is what he is but Zemgus I think gives us that and he isn't going to ask for 7million a year.  Zemgus is already on the team and is easily moving towards 50pts a season and next year he won't literally be driving the teams offense with just Ennis for backup.  Giving up assets for a player with very similar skills to one we already have and who plays a wing that we have covered.  We have limited assets at this point, I understand what O'Reilly is and he is not worth it.  

Ennis McEichel Kane

Moulson, Reinhart, Gionta

Foligno, Girgensons, Grigerenko

Batiste, Larsson, Deslauriers

*Bailey

Risto, Zads

Bogo, Pysyk

Gorges, McCabe

One of the current Makarov?Lindback?

I am still not sure about Moulson who showing signs of age, but to start the year I am ok with him.  Also, I think Kaleta still has a role early on especially on the checking line and until he gets hurt.

Not for trading for whats his name from Colorado... to expensive for the talent and don't need another head case.  Jagr or Moulson but not both.  Nice to have some developing centers with talent.  Sabres need to draft wingers and another D after the first pick.

There is room for both Zemgus and O'Reilly on this team.

Any long-term projection has to acknowledge McEichel and Reinhart as our top two centres.

That is the core of this team and the others are all pieces that will be manoeuvred around them.

The question is can they be our top two centres next year?

I think they can and O'Reilly could be a key part of that.

I've posted on here before how Kane and Reinhart are made for each other: Kane has the edge, the speed and wants the puck on his stick all the time. Reinhart has the hockey sense, the hands and the ability get people the puck. At some point, they are going to make magic together.

McDavid and Eichel are both playmakers, guys who can make magic on their own. Either will be our first-line centre, likely as soon as this year. Matt Moulson has made his career at getting to the right places and feasting on the havoc created by the likes of John Tavares. He will fit in very well with either young star.

That is the makings of two good offensive lines. How do you complement them?

I'd want a guy on on McEichel's other side who can take care of the details; somebody who is skilled enough to complement them offensively, but also very sound positionally, willing to play in traffic, with the ability to take face-offs as a bonus. I'd also want a dependable, hard-to-play against third line centre to take away some of their tough assignments.

Zemgus is the logical choice for either of those jobs. O'Reilly is the perfect choice for the other. Having Ennis, Gionta, Foligno, Larsson, Grigorenko and even Hodgson around means you have a variety of choices for the other three top-nine spots and pieces you could use to get O'Reilly.

You need to find out if O'Reilly has any interest in signing first, but I say go get him.

When Reinhart and McEichel mature we could have the best set of forwards in the league.

I have been on board with moving the NYI first and Grigo and a D prospect for ROR.

As things have evolved and we find ourselves with McEichel now, my feelings have also evolved. I'm not sure who said it or where but the statement was they would rather wait a year and sign ROR as a FA than give up all those assets for him. I'm starting to agree with that. Given that he is a high dollar player for what he brings and will throw our cap structure out of line. The counter point of course is we may not get him in FA. But then if he goes to FA and his demands become say nine million are we still looking at him? I doubt it.

We are now in this for the long haul and may get a stud with the second first rounder. Why give it away when it adds to our long term stability?

Tread wisely GMTM. You have our trust.

Edited by beerme1

I'm sure my thoughts may change again before the season but at this point I would go:

Moulson Eichel Ennis

Kane Girgensons Reinhart

Larsson Grigorenko Gionta

Deslauriers McCormick Foligno

Gorges Bogosian

Zadorov Ristolainen

Weber Pysyk

I'm assuming we lose the lottery as the odds dictate and draft Eichel. I start Reinhart at RW to break him into the league and to avoid starting next season with 3 rookie centers in our top 9.

Larsson and Grigorenko both make the cut but Grigorenko seems to be more of a natural center so he gets the center spot and Larsson shifts to LW bumping Foligno down to the 4th line. If McCormick is healthy he returns to center the 4th line and if not then Foligno could probably center with while bringing back a grinder like Kaleta to be the RW on the 4th line.

Psysk earns a full time gig with the big club next year and McCabe becomes the first defensive call up. No other real changes to the defense.

Edited by Drunkard

I'm assuming we lose the lottery as the odds dictate and draft Eichel.

This is the proper train of thought. If the Gods have decided they have shat upon enough for all times sake, we get McDavid. Odds are we don't and we can all be ecstatic with Jack Eichel.

Their #1 center was draft 1st overall, no?

But the coach you talk of was long gone by then. I do agree with you that even if we land McDavid there is no guarantee on a cup. 

There is room for both Zemgus and O'Reilly on this team.

Any long-term projection has to acknowledge McEichel and Reinhart as our top two centres.

That is the core of this team and the others are all pieces that will be manoeuvred around them.

The question is can they be our top two centres next year?

I think they can and O'Reilly could be a key part of that.

I've posted on here before how Kane and Reinhart are made for each other: Kane has the edge, the speed and wants the puck on his stick all the time. Reinhart has the hockey sense, the hands and the ability get people the puck. At some point, they are going to make magic together.

McDavid and Eichel are both playmakers, guys who can make magic on their own. Either will be our first-line centre, likely as soon as this year. Matt Moulson has made his career at getting to the right places and feasting on the havoc created by the likes of John Tavares. He will fit in very well with either young star.

That is the makings of two good offensive lines. How do you complement them?

I'd want a guy on on McEichel's other side who can take care of the details; somebody who is skilled enough to complement them offensively, but also very sound positionally, willing to play in traffic, with the ability to take face-offs as a bonus. I'd also want a dependable, hard-to-play against third line centre to take away some of their tough assignments.

Zemgus is the logical choice for either of those jobs. O'Reilly is the perfect choice for the other. Having Ennis, Gionta, Foligno, Larsson, Grigorenko and even Hodgson around means you have a variety of choices for the other three top-nine spots and pieces you could use to get O'Reilly.

You need to find out if O'Reilly has any interest in signing first, but I say go get him.

When Reinhart and McEichel mature we could have the best set of forwards in the league.

Agree with everything you say except that I think Ennis is a top 6 forward. love the thought you have with Reinhart and Kane together - I always assumend Kane with Eichel but I like what you said just not sure Reinhart is ready for Prime-time right away. He could be, I (and lots of other posters)  always seem to discount the kid readiness for the NHL here but lets not ever forget how great he was as Canada's #1 center. On a team that had McDavid on it and in a tournament that Eichel played in.

But the coach you talk of was long gone by then. I do agree with you that even if we land McDavid there is no guarantee on a cup. 

Agree with everything you say except that I think Ennis is a top 6 forward. love the thought you have with Reinhart and Kane together - I always assumend Kane with Eichel but I like what you said just not sure Reinhart is ready for Prime-time right away. He could be, I (and lots of other posters)  always seem to discount the kid readiness for the NHL here but lets not ever forget how great he was as Canada's #1 center. On a team that had McDavid on it and in a tournament that Eichel played in.

I think Ennis would work quite nicely with Reinhart and Kane, but the coach may want a heavier player in that role.

So many options now that McEichel is in the bag.  Does Grigo move to wing?  Is Grigo moved for a RW?  Does Reinhart start in Rochester?

Gat dam it is nice to be flush with centers again.

To start the year I'd be fine w/ keeping the Larsson and Grigo lines together and giving McEichel 2 huge talented wingers: Kane & Girgs. Real good chemistry w/ 2 of the lines and McEichel should get some space w/ those 2 out there w/ him.

Once guys get comfortable &/or when Sam is ready, start to mix & match. Would really like to see both Ennis & Moulson also getting time w/ Kane & McEichel.

Bring in a D to play w/ Bogo and bring in Pysyk (hopefully) & find a goalie and this team should be w/in 10 points of the playoffs. If they stay healthy, it could be an entertaining (though likely unsuccessful) stretch run.

I think Grigorenko has the raw talent to have the Malkin role as well.  Shyte is gonna get real interesting.  There is going to be some serious competition for those center slots.

Absolutely.

Okay, so, after considering this awhile, and, obviously, watching games, I am not convinced Larsson is going to be here. Or Grigorenko, for that matter.

I haven't seen Hodgson crack too many of these line-up prognostications, but he's should be out, too.

Back to Larsson, this team blew chunks this year, and Larsson was a part of it. If we are to pick the wheat from the chaff, I don't see how Larsson rates as wheat after this season.

Frankly, I think Foligno is borderline here, too.

Larsson is a prospect just now breaking out.  Poor performance in previous years can be accounted to him not being ready yet.  If you mean he might be traded because he has value, then sure.

I've been one of Foligno's harshest critics over the past couple of seasons, but I think he can be a good 3rd liner for us.  He's been more consistent than ever under Teddy.  I wonder if we'll see him return to lazy Foligno when he doesn't have Nolan waiting at the bench with belt in hand.

I really want Buffalo so sign Justin Williams on the 1st of July.  Won Cups ... Clutch in the playoffs, great guy. Man he would be another great guy to look up to for the young players...

Line 1 Moulson McEichel Kane

Line 2 Ennis Reinhart Williams

Line 3 Girgensons Larsson Gionta

Line 4 Foligno Grigorenko Deslauriers

Extra Bailey/Baptiste/Fasching            

Pair 1 Ristolainen Zadorov  

Pair 2 Bogosian Pysyk  

Pair 3 Gorges McCabe    

Extra Weber/Ruhwedel            

Starter O'Connor    

BackUp Lindback    

Edited by Peppy22

Sabres don't trade for ROR.

draft Mcdavid

Nikita starts in rochester

Grigorenko is on the roster opening night.

Stempniak is signed

Lindback and Enroth get signed to compete with johnson (wil be waived).

Sekera signed as UFA.

Someone will whine about them starting with 4 rookie centers.

Buffalo trades for Eriksson + marc savards contract for a 2nd round pick and two low level prospects.

Starting line up

Kane - Mcdavid - Eriksson

Moulson - Reinhart - Ennis

Foligno - Grigorenko - Girgensons

Deslauriers - Larsson - stempniak

McCormick - Gionta

Bogosian - Sekera

Ristolainen - Gorges

Pysyk - mcCabe

weber

Enroth

Lindback.

My ultimate webster prediction.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.