Will Eichel be an immediate contributor?

PromoTheRobot

Bud light :(

I should send him some real beer. :P

Damn rich kids and their Bud Light! He will never fit in in Buffalo drinking these premium beers in college. He will never be able to relate to the struggle of college students who have to drink Natty, and Beast Ice or who can only afford 30 'Stones! If he's this pompous already it can only get worse.

... On Second thought, it's all good. Party on Jack.

How seriously do teams look at stuff like this? We can laugh it off, but they have to consider it. A few beers is one thing. What if a player has a real problem?

Teams deal with stuff like this all the time. Pro Athlete and substance abuse are pretty much synonymous, especially when you consider the abuse these guys put themselves through. 

That said, I doubt that "likes to party" is on pretty much any team's list of red flags. 

Teams deal with stuff like this all the time. Pro Athlete and substance abuse are pretty much synonymous, especially when you consider the abuse these guys put themselves through. 

That said, I doubt that "likes to party" is on pretty much any team's list of red flags. 

Given how good he and McDavid could be, and the extraordinary importance of these guys to the future of their franchises, I think the calculus of the decision has to be a little more involved than usual. Let's say Player A not only parties a lot but doesn't eat well, doesn't like to work out, doesn't always get to practice on time. He's still a typical young guy. But you're still worried about the kind of pro he's going to be. You're drafting the player and the person. You look at both. No one should want Johnny Manziel on skates.

Given how good he and McDavid could be, and the extraordinary importance of these guys to the future of their franchises, I think the calculus of the decision has to be a little more involved than usual. Let's say Player A not only parties a lot but doesn't eat well, doesn't like to work out, doesn't always get to practice on time. He's still a typical young guy. But you're still worried about the kind of pro he's going to be. You're drafting the player and the person. You look at both. No one should want Johnny Manziel on skates.

Nobody should want Manziel on skates because he can't play, not because of the partying. Pretty sure Chicago was okay with Kane's public intoxication when he was helping them win Cups.

If Jack Eichel doesn't like to eat well or work out he's not going to be playing D1 Hockey at BU. He'll be playing D3 at Geneseo. 

• 3 weeks later...

McEichel plus winning = the New AUD.  Put whatever letters they want on the outside, we've only had 2 buildings the Old Aud and the current building. Win, create generational memories and it will be the New Aud to me, not sure if what I'm trying to imply is making sense , but when someone starts a sentence with ...The Old Aud....there is an almost instant generation team connect...

FNA:  FIrst Niagara Auditorium  THE F'N AUD, baby!

Absolutely Yes! People can question Kane's maturity and he may just be an a-hole, you can't question his desire and passion for the game. After years of watching this team roll out fragile players, I want a player like Kane, who has great talent and knows it, to instill some swagger into the young kids coming in. As Alice Cooper sang, "No more mister nice guy!" I want a team that fans from other teams complain about like we here complain about the Bruins.

Not Billion Dollar Babies?

Another chance tonight to see Eichel in action. UMASS-Lowell vs. BU for the hockey east championship at 7 pm on NBCSN. Jack had two goals last night, albeit one an EN, in the win over NH. Of course I didn't see the third period last night when he scored, but what I did see of him in the first two periods, he actually looked pretty pedestrian.

Another chance tonight to see Eichel in action. UMASS-Lowell vs. BU for the hockey east championship at 7 pm on NBCSN. Jack had two goals last night, albeit one an EN, in the win over NH. Of course I didn't see the third period last night when he scored, but what I did see of him in the first two periods, he actually looked pretty pedestrian.

Hmm I had the exact opposite thought after two periods. I thought he played with great speed, had some nice passes, and had a couple of slick moves that resulted in scoring chances. Was thinking Hudson, Kane, and Jack would make a dominate line for years to come.

Fun question: if the Sabres were to end up in 29th behind Arizona, what would you think of the following pre-lottery trade?  What would Arizona think?  What would have to be added to make it possible (if at all)?

TradeIf Arizona wins the lottery, then the teams keep their own picks.  Otherwise, they swap picks.

Net result, Arizona's chance at McDavid goes from 20% to 33.5% (basically, from 1 in 5 to 1 in 3), since they get it if either they or the Sabres win the lottery, but they otherwise get the third pick.  The Sabres get Eichel.

I might have seen it working with last year's odds (Arizona chance at McDavid would have gone from 25% to 43.8%), but probably not with this year's odds.  Even then, it would have taken a GM with a lot of balls to take that chance.  Still, fun to think about.

Big name rookies that have been labeled as elite have, and normally, produce better seasons in their rookie year than any player has in their career on the Sabre's roster, other than Kane

So I guess we're about to find out whether that problem lies with the Sabres rosters, or just the Sabres.

Hmm I had the exact opposite thought after two periods. I thought he played with great speed, had some nice passes, and had a couple of slick moves that resulted in scoring chances. Was thinking Hudson, Kane, and Jack would make a dominate line for years to come.

I definitely agree about the skating, he was by far the best skater out there. But I did see him make some bad turnovers, almost like he's playing too fast for his teammates, which could be very possible. I'm sure he would look even better with more skilled players around him.

Edited by Claude Balls

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.