Will Eichel be an immediate contributor?

PromoTheRobot

I conceded to the field in the original post.

The most likely team that Connor McDavid will be playing for next year is the Buffalo Sabres.

Fair and accurate.

Eichel has said winning a NCAA championship is a goal. He may not leave BU right away. Especially if the Sabres want him in Rochester.

Good point. But he'd need to demand a guarantee in his contract to know for sure because he'll have to sign a contract to come to camp and the Sabres could just send him down after that.

Edited by Tank

Fair and accurate.

Good point. But he'd need to demand a guarantee in his contract to know for sure because he'll have to sign a contract to come to camp and the Sabres could just send him down after that.

You forgot how the NCAA works. The 2nd he signs a contract, he's no longer eligible.

Eichel has said winning a NCAA championship is a goal. He may not leave BU right away. Especially if the Sabres want him in Rochester.

Tim Murray "Hey Jack, here's Millions of Dollars for you to come play hockey... or you can go back to Boston and risk injury and get nothing."

You forgot how the NCAA works. The 2nd he signs a contract, he's no longer eligible.

No. That's exactly what I was just saying. His college options are gone the second he signs a contract, and, unless he gets a guarantee in the contract that he won't be sent down, the Sabres can do it.

No. That's exactly what I was just saying. His college options are gone the second he signs a contract, and, unless he gets a guarantee in the contract that he won't be sent down, the Sabres can do it.

Oh sent down to Rochester.  Yea he won't get that, rookies basically have 0 negotiating leverage. 

Thank you mr murray but the kind alumni here at bu bouggt me a 10 million dollar insurance policy. See you in the spring of 2016. Not saying it happens, but it could.

Hyperbole

3 million? Either way I don't think he is motivated bynthe money and will do what he feels is best for him. If that is another wjc, chance at a ncaa title, I could see him staying another year.

I believe UGA gave Todd Gurley a 1million dollar insurance policy. Just something for comparison. 

I honestly can't see him staying another year.  

Didn't Chad Ruhwedel get a similar guarantee--at least for the rest of that first season?  Or was that "on a handshake"?

Either way, he was free to sign with whomever (IIRC) and had a bit of leverage to get that agreement.   Although I suspect most teams didn't really care enough about him as a player to grant that sort of request.

Either way, he was free to sign with whomever (IIRC) and had a bit of leverage to get that agreement.   Although I suspect most teams didn't really care enough about him as a player to grant that sort of request.

That part about the leverage certainly is true; I'm wondering if such a guarantee permissible in an NHL contract.

He can play in Rochester ASAP. But he won't. He'll be in the NHL next year. And I don't understand why there's any notion that McDavid can jump but Eichel can't. Eichel is known for the most physical style than McDavid anyways and has shown all the skill. McDavid is better, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Eichel playing at a high level earlier.

Tank had it, but yes he can play in the AHL since he's currently college-eligible (think Girgensons) vs. Canadian minors eligible.

Thanks for the clarification guys. 

I fully expect McEichel to be here next season, and I expect them produce a 25+ 50pt+ campaign.

That part about the leverage certainly is true; I'm wondering if such a guarantee permissible in an NHL contract.

Well I suppose you could sign him and give him a NMC which would mean he couldn't be sent down without consent.  I think that would be unusual.

I think we should be prepared for something like 15-20g, 25a at this point.  I mean our team has so little firepower we should temper expectations.

Well I suppose you could sign him and give him a NMC which would mean he couldn't be sent down without consent.  I think that would be unusual.

I think we should be prepared for something like 15-20g, 25a at this point.  I mean our team has so little firepower we should temper expectations.

The line he will be on should feature two legitimate top-six wingers. I agree, though. I would expect 50 points, but I don't think it's crazy to think there could be more.

I think adding Kane, and 1-2 offseason moves like Justin Williams or such, adds a ton to our top 6. He'll have talent around him

I think, barring  major injuries

Eichel - About 20g 40a

McDavid - About 20g 45a

I'm seeing about 65 to 75 goals from the first line of Moulson-McEichel-Kane

About 45 to 55 from a hypothetical Ennis-Reinhart-Williams line

About 35 to 45 from Foligno-Girgs-Gionta

And 20 or so from the combination of Delauries, Kaleta, McCormick, Larsson, Flynn, etc 

Thats about 165 to 195 goals from our forwards.

Defensively

Gorges - 1 goal

Weber - 1 goal

Pysyk - 2 goals

Bogosian - around 4 to 6

Zadorov + Risto = almost 20 I'd guess

So about 20 to 30 goals by the D

185 to 225 total

+5 goals by AHL subs

190 to 230 in goals for.

Which last year would place us where the NYI were in Goals

Not great, but far better than what we have presently.

We can all agree that these two are supposed to be better than Mackinnon or Tavares, no? Then they can easily be expected to be putting up better than 20+ goal seasons, and over 55+ pts. Hell, Crosby put 102 points and 39 goals his rookie year. That's a 5'11'' kid coming out of the softer QMJHL too. Eichel and McDavid are bigger, play against better competition, and should be more NHL ready. 

Maybe we're all being cautious and tempering our expectations so we don't get let down....but I say ###### that. After this season? I think Eichel or McDavid will surprise us

Edited by WildCard

We can all agree that these two are supposed to be better than Mackinnon or Tavares, no? Then they can easily be expected to be putting up better than 20+ goal seasons, and over 55+ pts. Hell, Crosby put 102 points and 39 goals his rookie year. That's a 5'11'' kid coming out of the softer QMJHL too. Eichel and McDavid are bigger, play against better competition, and should be more NHL ready. 

Maybe we're all being cautious and tempering our expectations so we don't get let down....but I say ###### that. After this season? I think Eichel or McDavid will surprise us

Crosby's first year was in 05-06 which as we all know was the year the rules changed.  Since the league has reverted heavily since then, I feel comfortable thinking Jack and Connor will get half or less.

Tavares was HEAVILY hyped.  I'm not going to assume either of these guys is going to be better than Tavares.

I didn't pay attention to the draft back when he was drafted, was he put on a good line like McEichel will be?

Crosby's first year was in 05-06 which as we all know was the year the rules changed.  Since the league has reverted heavily since then, I feel comfortable thinking Jack and Connor will get half or less.

MacKinnon put up 24-39-63 last season. 

Okposo and Moulson.  About as good as McEichel can expect in year 1 here.

I disagree. Okposo was hardly the player he is now when Tavares joined the league, and Moulson benefited enormously from having him. We've seen what Moulson can do with average-good centers, a 20+goal, 40+pt kind of guy. But, put him with Tavares/an elite center, and he suddenly becomes 30+goals and 50+pts consistently.

Not bad linemates, but Kane has done much more without having an elite center as talent. Put that with Moulson/Ennis, and that is a much better supporting cast. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.