Will Eichel be an immediate contributor?

PromoTheRobot

Crosby and the 05-06 Pens seem like a decent comparable given what virtually every serious hockey mind has said about McDavid and how bad the Sabres are right now. A point a game+ player, but the team ends up with 58 points.

The points total has to be discounted by league-wide reduction in scoring. For example, last season there were only ~25 point per game players in the league...in Crosby's rookie year, there was around twice that many. In other words, even if McDavid is every bit as good as Crosby was as a rookie, I think it's wholly unrealistic to expect him to reproduce those scoring totals.

Eichel.......alone, by himself, on a team, like say Edmonton?  Then no not ready.  Eichel with - Reinhart, Girgenssons, Girgorenko, Kane, Stewart, Moulsson, Fasching, Ennis, amon others.........I say yes.  Does this mean playoffs in 15-16, probablly not.  But 16-17, 17-18.....oh yes.  Eichel is the last piece to finally accelerate this very young franchise foward.  In addition to stockpiling our team, keep in mind other playoff franchises are going to start to trend down, hit salary cap issues, etc.  Timing is a key component to success and should work for the Sabres over the next few seasons.  T-A-N-K Y-O-U very much.

I saw Eichel play UNH on NESN over the weekend.  All I have to say is....Holy Crap, that kid is good!  I don't think I have ever seen a player dominate as a freshmen in college hockey to that degree.  Kariya was pretty close, and Vanek even had spurts....but Eichel looks like he is already a NHL'er playing against a bunch of pee-wees out there.  I saw him waltz through the UNH defense like they weren't even there.  A couple weeks ago, I was scared to lose out on McDavid...but that sample of his work made me feel a whole lot better if we lose the lottery. 

Jack Eichel CANNOT re-enter the draft. Let's throw out that idea right away. That is a scenario that is not possible for an NCAA player.

Glad to hear that. So if drafted by the Sabres, is it play w/ Buffalo or don't play in the NHL at all? I understand he can continue to play college hockey. It's more of a when he wants to play in the NHL. 

Edited by thanes16

Jack Eichel CANNOT re-enter the draft. Let's throw out that idea right away. That is a scenario that is not possible for an NCAA player.

I think theoretically he could, but he'd have to wait something like two years after his senior year.  It's just not going to happen.

Glad to hear that. So if drafted by the Sabres, is it play w/ Buffalo or don't play in the NHL at all? I understand he can continue to play college hockey. It's more of a when he wants to play in the NHL. 

If he signs a contract with the Sabres, he can play in the NHL or AHL.

Edit: think I misunderstood your question before; sounds like you were getting at NHL with Buffalo vs. another team.

Edited by biodork

I think theoretically he could, but he'd have to wait something like two years after his senior year.  It's just not going to happen.

At that point he would be too old for the draft and would be a free agent. There is one scenario which would involve him jumping to major junior right now and I'm not sure if even Q rules would allow that jump this late in the year. That's not happening.

I don't think anyone believes this will be the case.

McDavid, or Eichel, will not turn around the Sabres fortunes an their own.

Either of them will be the best player on the Sabres roster since Perreault.  And, just as they did with Perreault, the team will be built around them.

second best since Gil.

(I've only skimmed this last page, but I'm seeing signs of hysterics.)

An Islanders blogger clarified the CBA pretty well when Islanders fans were shitting themselves about Anders Lee a year after Justin Schultz went to Edmonton:

CBA gibberish, skip it if you like:

8.6 © (iv)
  • If a Player drafted at age 18 or 19, who had received a Bona Fide Offer in accordance with Section 8.6(a)(ii) above, becomes a bona fide college student prior to the second June 1 following his selection in the Entry Draft and does not remain a bona fide college student through the graduation of his college class, his drafting Club shall retain exclusive rights for the negotiation of his services until the later of:
  • (a) the fourth June 1 following his selection in the Entry Draft,
  • or (b) thirty (30) days after NHL Central Registry receives notice that the Player is no longer a bona fide college student;
  • provided that **IF** the Player ceases to be a bona fide college student on or after January 1 of an academic year and the Player:
  • (1) is in his fourth year of college and has commenced his fourth year of NCAA eligibility,
  • or (2) is in his fourth year of college and is scheduled to graduate from college at the end of his fourth year, then in the circumstances described in (1) or (2), the Club shall retain the exclusive right of negotiation for such Player's services through and including the August 15 following the date on which he ceases to be a bona fide college student.

Clarification:

...the CBA ensures that if a prospect legitimately wants to leave college in his third college year ... -- or even in his fourth year if he quits college before January 1 -- to start his career, he can still do so and, if not signed by his drafting club by June 1, he is free to shop his services.

However, a prospect who is completing all his credits (or very nearly) as a senior in college (so, he stayed enrolled past Jan. 1 his fourth year, probably because he wanted to finish his hockey season first), cannot then use the loophole to "leave college" early and become a free agent on June 1. Such a player's rights would be held through Aug. 15.

However, this ability to go UFA as described in the clarification only applies to players that have not been signed as of four years or more since the date they were drafted.  Eichel won't reach the four-years-since-drafted mark until June 2019, which will be one year after his graduation date.  He couldn't escape Buffalo's rights until then.  That's the part of the CBA that I bolded.  So if Eichel wanted to escape Buffalo, he would graduate in 2018, and then be a holdout for one full year.  That would give us plenty of time to shame him and trade him.

In Schultz' case, he played a year of juniors after his draft year, then joined Wisconsin, then was eligible to escape Anaheim as a UFA by deregistering after four years has passed since the draft but before his senior year had started.  This eligibility isn't met by most players and won't be met by Eichel.

But there's a strong motivating factor for Eichel, who will likely have the option to go pro well before 2019, not to do this.  The biggest reason why he won't do this?

MILLIONS OF DOLLARS.

Everyone- the GM, the coach, his former coaches, NHL players, his family, his friends, and his agent especially will tell him how important it will be to start his professional career ASAP and to sign a guaranteed contract BEFORE HE SUFFERS A CAREER ENDING INJURY.  While the chances of this are slim, it is the most important consideration for young athletes.  Yes, it's an honor and a dream come true to be drafted.  Yes, they want to live their dream of playing pro.  Yes, they want to play as hard as they can to win at the pro level.  Yes, they want to play toward their dream of winning the Stanley Cup.  Those are the dreams.  But they perceive a very real need to be compensated for the extremely risky profession they've undertaken and worked towards since their youth.  Suffering a career-ending injury without compensation would be a life-altering disaster.  Those are the nightmares.

I'll be honest. With all the "McEichel" talk I assumed both players will be expected to perform in the NHL from Day 1. But I just read a story about Eichel being a freshman at BU.

Holy crap, a freshman?? So that means he's still just a kid. Can we realistically expect him to do anything for the Sabres next year, or will he be another Grigorenko overwhelmed?

Wait! Eichel is Freshman??? this changes everything!!!!

Jack finished HS early so he could enroll in college. He wanted to play DI hockey and so he has.  Jack Eichel is a very driven individual, he wants to be in the NHL.  It is the next step.

And he is ready to take it. 

GO SABRES!!!

Buffalo's ready for him to step onto the ice at HSBC ....

McEichel plus winning = the New AUD.  Put whatever letters they want on the outside, we've only had 2 buildings the Old Aud and the current building. Win, create generational memories and it will be the New Aud to me, not sure if what I'm trying to imply is making sense , but when someone starts a sentence with ...The Old Aud....there is an almost instant generation team connect...

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.