Trade: Myers, Stafford, Armia, Lemieux, + Low 1st for Kane, Bogosian, and Kasdorf

dudacek

I must have been smoking weed when I put together that Canes deal. How about this....

Staf, Enstrom, Tanev, and Comrie for Hanifin.

TO is taking Matthews and the Jets could take PLD with the 4th and Laine with the 2nd.

Haha, that first sentence was gold. Well done, Ducky.

But I gotta agree with the general consensus, those pieces still aren't even close to Hanafin. For an idea, we would have to give up Reinhart in a potential Hanifin deal. A guy with sky high potential for a guy with sky high potential. The Jets would be looking at giving up Ehlers. And probably still more depending on how Carolina views their team needs. The Jets no doubt have the young talent to propose some fair offers, but fans likely wouldn't be able to easily stomach the viable offers. Just like I want no part in trading Sam.

No, you're still not close. You need to stop using spare parts. Comrie is the only player from the Jets end that even remotely sparks any interest. Stafford, Tanev, Enstrom are all meh.

You want Hanifin?

Chariot, Morrissey, and Mark Dano plus a pick. That's your opening offer and you might need to do something like Ehlers and Morrissey to get Hanifin.

Ya, still not close to anything buy an immediate hang-up if that's the offer (your first scenario.)

Your second? Bingo.

I'll dispute it all day, every day.  Kaner was so much more impactful on the ice, especially in the 2nd half of the season, than Stafford has ever been.

Oh ya, Kane had a more valuable season than Stafford. One could factor in last year and say Stafford so far has contributed more, but Murray wouldn't care and neither should we. He made the trade fully aware of that and it helped get Eichel. That was part of the plan.

siv? not sure what that is? You're about the luck though.

Hard to dispute that Staf has played the best of all players involved though.

Only saw a couple Jets games, so I can't say you're wrong, but Kane was far better here than any season Stafford ever had as a Sabre, even the 30-goal campaign.

Only saw a couple Jets games, so I can't say you're wrong, but Kane was far better here than any season Stafford ever had as a Sabre, even the 30-goal campaign.

Oh man, Stafford almost outscored Vanek that year.  Then proceeded to do absolutely nothing in the playoffs.

siv? not sure what that is? You're about the luck though.

Hard to dispute that Staf has played the best of all players involved though.

Is this the same Stafford you're desperately trying to package w/ 3 other guys for 1 piece?

Dude, it was an even hockey trade that both teams "won." Not sure why you need so desperately to have the Peg "win" it.

Lotsa luv for Kaner on here....good to see, he needs/loves it.

I want to move Staf because, as I've said a few times, he will hold up young RWers on the team. This is a team of the future. I suspect Chevy will want to hold onto him until the TD but I would move him at the draft.

A GM that would involve Chariot, Morrissey, and Mark Dano plus a pick does not reside in Winnipeg. Morrissey will be starting with the Jets by the end of next season and will eventually move on to mega-time on the PP. No need to rush a player if he isn't ready. The Thrashers did enough of that with Kaner, Burmi and maybe even Bogo.

Oh ya, let's not forget the plan was to get McJesus, not Eichel. The Jets didn't give up this year and played some of their season's most inspired hockey at the end of the season...they ended up with 2nd overall...the Sabres pulled one of the most obvious tanks since the Mario Lemieux draft and got 2nd overall...

I'd give up Chiarot, Staf, next year's 1st and Dano for Hanifin but not much more.............Chevy never makes this trade.

On Comrie, I haven't checked recently but he was ranked 5th by most analysts when discussing goalies...Hellebuyck was 1st.

I want to move Staf because, as I've said a few times, he will hold up young RWers on the team. This is a team of the future. I suspect Chevy will want to hold onto him until the TD but I would move him at the draft.

A GM that would involve Chariot, Morrissey, and Mark Dano plus a pick does not reside in Winnipeg. Morrissey will be starting with the Jets by the end of next season and will eventually move on to mega-time on the PP. No need to rush a player if he isn't ready. The Thrashers did enough of that with Kaner, Burmi and maybe even Bogo.

Oh ya, let's not forget the plan was to get McJesus, not Eichel. The Jets didn't give up this year and played some of their season's most inspired hockey at the end of the season...they ended up with 2nd overall...the Sabres pulled one of the most obvious tanks since the Mario Lemieux draft and got 2nd overall...

I'd give up Chiarot, Staf, next year's 1st and Dano for Hanifin but not much more.............Chevy never makes this trade.

On Comrie, I haven't checked recently but he was ranked 5th by most analysts when discussing goalies...Hellebuyck was 1st.

Yeah and that was the plan all along, be 100% sure you get Eichel, and it was a hard fought tank.

Barely beat out the oilers and coyotes :p

Chevy wouldn't make that trade but that's what it would take to get Carolina to take your call seriously.

The plan was have the best shot at McDavid and gaurentee Eichel, we successfully did that. What Winnipeg does doesn't really impact what we did.

Chevy wouldn't make that trade but that's what it would take to get Carolina to take your call seriously.

The plan was have the best shot at McDavid and gaurentee Eichel, we successfully did that. What Winnipeg does doesn't really impact what we did.

I'm not saying that what the Jets does impact with the Sabres did or does all I'm saying is that they went about it two different ways and ended up with the same result

I'm not saying that what the Jets does impact with the Sabres did or does all I'm saying is that they went about it two different ways and ended up with the same result

I honestly don't believe they did get the same results. That said I think Winnipeg will be better next year. They have good talent in the pipeline and should be on the rise.

How were the approaches different? Both teams traded current assets for future picks and prospects. Most of the Sabres trades involved UFAs who they had no interest in re-signing or the player showed little interest in re-signing with Buffalo.

The idea that the Sabres left behind after those trades didn't play hard is bogus. In fact, they almost blew the tank at the end of the season.

This narrative that Buffalo did something different than Toronto or Winnipeg or Arizona is bogus.

Take a shot at Kane first sentence, argument off to a good start.

Chariot, Morrissey, Dano, and a pick: A. Doesn't get a GM Hanifin, and B. Is a trade every GM makes if it does. It's a trade of spare parts + Morrissey for a potential top D. Morrissey still has potential, but the word around Winnipeg is he's had a bit of a down year and has stagnated slightly. He's also a few years out from being drafted already. He's still a promising prospect, but he's not netting you Hanifin, if Morrissey is the only really good piece in a trade consisting of spare parts, besides him. Hanifin, at 18, put up the same amount of points in the NHL, as Morrissey put up in the AHL this year, at 20.

I'm not saying Morrissey isn't a good piece, but he's not in Hanifin's universe and those other pieces don't bring the trade close. It's your evaluation of Hanifin that is off.

As for the tank related stuff, you've posted multiple times that it was simply for McDavid, and multiple times it was pointed out to you that that wasn't the case. It was about giving the best chance at McDavid, and guaranteeing Eichel. There's a reason "McEichel" was such a common phrase. But you'll ignore this again, because it doesn't suit your point.

The only reason the Jets ended up with the "same result", is because they got exceptionally lucky in the draft lottery. There's no other reason. Is that what you want to hang your hat on? Luck? Besides, the results aren't the same. We got a franchise centre in Eichel, something that is above star winger on the totem pole, every time.

Also, the Jets 100% did make tank moves. Sending their best goalie, Hellebuyck, back to the minors mid season? Tank move. I don't care about Hutchinson's waiver eligibility. If winning was the goal, Hellebuyck stays up. Cheveldayoff made the right move, though. Call it what you want, but the Jets still manipulated their finishing position with this and other moves, even if it wasn't as blatant as the Sabres.

But, the reward in our year was greater, guaranteeing McEichel by finishing last, so it makes sense.

Edit: Btw, of note, Stafford was a career worst -23 this season. Take from that what you will.

Edited by Thorny

• 4 weeks later...

Once described as a blockbuster trade between two perrenial loser franchises, all the megahype may amount to...nothing.

After an initial period of euphoria when Stafford and Myers contributed and the Jets actually made the playoffs, I now hear Jets fans grumbling about the aging floater and place-holder Stafford. Myers, who although physically gifted, is defensively flawed and has a history of serious injuries. Despite occasional flashes of brilliance, Armia hardly ever scores and is chronically injured and we know the serious problems that follow Brendan Lemieux. The late first rounder is a toss-up.

On the Buffalo side, Kane is a gifted force but plays with a recklessness that leads to injuries that have piled up over the years. He was placed on a wing with Eichel/Reinhart and thrived but when O'Reilly came back, he bounced around with other linemates. Despite his community involvement and sincere words of apology after undisciplined breaks from the team, he is seen as selfish and craving the limelight of a big city.  Bogosian has also suffered from inconsistent play and especially chronic injury. The early introduction to the NHL has resulted in injuries along the way the have made these two players undependable. Kasdorf doesn't have a chance to play any significant role for the team.

Three of the four major pieces of this trade were hot potatoes with their former teams that had to be cut loose for various reasons. The other, Bogosian, is someone a team can't rely on because of all the injuries. So what it amounts to is a bunch of chronically injured and flawed players getting traded for each other.  

This so-called blockbuster is turning into a big "so what?"

Edited by Marvelo

• 3 weeks later...

Which D men do the Sabres protect now that they have Kulikov?

Depends on the status of Bogo's NMC, which appears to still be up in the air. If he has a NMC and is still here next year it would be him, Risto, and Kulikov. However, I have a feeling if he does have a NMC then it won't kick in until next year, and I expect GMTM to move him before then. So if either he is off the team OR does not have a NMC then the three protected are Risto, Kulikov, and McCabe. 

Depends on the status of Bogo's NMC, which appears to still be up in the air. If he has a NMC and is still here next year it would be him, Risto, and Kulikov. However, I have a feeling if he does have a NMC then it won't kick in until next year, and I expect GMTM to move him before then. So if either he is off the team OR does not have a NMC then the three protected are Risto, Kulikov, and McCabe. 

Remember that Kulikov may well be on his way to being a UFA at the time of the expansion draft, though.  

Was Kane ever arrested in Winnipeg? Or anywhere else for that matter?

Not in Winnipeg....there were rumors he dashed and dined at a popular restaurant but I'd find that REALLY hard to believe and it would surprise me if he wasn't a really generous tipper. Most of the stuff about Kaner here was about missing or being late for meetings and not adhering to the dress code and locker room stuff. He has a hate on for Ladd and Wheeler and they were two of the leaders of the team back then. I'd like to know what he thinks of Buff because everyone says that whether he wears a letter or not, he controls the room.

Murray should trade him to Vegas to open up some roon for Stamkos. Leave him unprotected and get Vegas to draft a couple of players you want and next year's 1st or something and trade them to you for next to nothing.

This trade seems to be boiling down to two D men that haven't reached their potential and probably never will and Kane who will probably never reach his potential. These guys could all be first line/pairing players but they aren't.

Staf is Staf but he is taking up a roster spot here.

Most everyone says Armia will never hit his potential either and will be a 3rd or 4th liner and he has way more talent than a 4th liner.

Lemieux brings that edge to his game and isn't a small player but on a good team, he should be a very good 4th or borderline 3rd line winger.

Kasdorf and Roslovic are left and who knows what will happen with them...especially the goalie. Everyone likes to talk highly of their prospects but how many turn out? London traded for Roslovic's rights so he might reunited with Tkachuk on the Knights.

I honestly think that both teams are better off than they were before the trade but I'd love to have Bogo back if he learned to play LHD. I'd love to see Armia on a lone with so me top end players. Laine Little Armia or Connor Scheifele Armia or something.

The Jets are so stacked at wingers, Armia may become trade bait. He's not going to be able to play on a scoring line in Winnipeg, with Wheeler, Ehlers, Connor, and now Laine ahead of him on the depth chart, barring injury. Too many great talents. If they go for more of a traditional 3rd line, Armia may eventually be on his way out.

Depending on what happens with Kane, you may be right that after all the hubbub, the trade boils down to Myers for Bogosian. Rather uneventful after all. Both have different games and give different things to the two teams that got them. I still hope Kane works out here, but if we somehow get Stamkos, Kane is all but gone.

The lasting impact of this trade for us could be that it may have helped us secure Eichel, as we dealt for a guy who was injured and couldn't play.

Not in Winnipeg....there were rumors he dashed and dined at a popular restaurant but I'd find that REALLY hard to believe and it would surprise me if he wasn't a really generous tipper. Most of the stuff about Kaner here was about missing or being late for meetings and not adhering to the dress code and locker room stuff. He has a hate on for Ladd and Wheeler and they were two of the leaders of the team back then. I'd like to know what he thinks of Buff because everyone says that whether he wears a letter or not, he controls the room.

Murray should trade him to Vegas to open up some roon for Stamkos. Leave him unprotected and get Vegas to draft a couple of players you want and next year's 1st or something and trade them to you for next to nothing.

This trade seems to be boiling down to two D men that haven't reached their potential and probably never will and Kane who will probably never reach his potential. These guys could all be first line/pairing players but they aren't.

Staf is Staf but he is taking up a roster spot here.

Most everyone says Armia will never hit his potential either and will be a 3rd or 4th liner and he has way more talent than a 4th liner.

Lemieux brings that edge to his game and isn't a small player but on a good team, he should be a very good 4th or borderline 3rd line winger.

Kasdorf and Roslovic are left and who knows what will happen with them...especially the goalie. Everyone likes to talk highly of their prospects but how many turn out? London traded for Roslovic's rights so he might reunited with Tkachuk on the Knights.

I honestly think that both teams are better off than they were before the trade but I'd love to have Bogo back if he learned to play LHD. I'd love to see Armia on a lone with so me top end players. Laine Little Armia or Connor Scheifele Armia or something.

Check out that thing just to the right of the apostrophe.  

Which D men do the Sabres protect now that they have Kulikov?

They might choose to protect 4, Bogo, Risto, Kulikov and McCabe.    

Assuming they protect O'Reilly, Kane, and Ennis, they would expose two of Larsson, Foligno, Girgensons, but they can only lose 1.   

They might choose to protect 4, Bogo, Risto, Kulikov and McCabe.    

Assuming they protect O'Reilly, Kane, and Ennis, they would expose two of Larsson, Foligno, Girgensons, but they can only lose 1.   

Kulikov will be an impending FA at the time of the expansion draft.