Trade: Myers, Stafford, Armia, Lemieux, + Low 1st for Kane, Bogosian, and Kasdorf

dudacek

The first month after Bogo came back he was a complete non-factor, tentative with the puck and in the physical game.

He has evolved since then into someone who attempts to make an impact. He commits hard at both ends, but his offensive forays rarely have an impact and his defensive attacks often take him out of position. He can and sometimes does make an impact as a physical defenceman, and his skating means he can be very hard to beat one-on-one. He's also not bad with the puck.

His defensive decision-making — when to go and when to stay, who to take — has been the worst on the team and is the reason his plus/minus is deserved.

I see the physical tools to be a top-pairing defenceman, but he still makes mistakes a player with his experience should not be making.

If he dials it back a touch he can be a very effective second-pairing guy. He doesn't have the head to be first pairing, although he did look good paired with Risto.

He is too gifted to ever be a 6/7.

The first month after Bogo came back he was a complete non-factor, tentative with the puck and in the physical game.

He has evolved since then into someone who attempts to make an impact. He commits hard at both ends, but his offensive forays rarely have an impact and his defensive attacks often take him out of position. He can and sometimes does make an impact as a physical defenceman, and his skating means he can be very hard to beat one-on-one. He's also not bad with the puck.

His defensive decision-making — when to go and when to stay, who to take — has been the worst on the team and is the reason his plus/minus is deserved.

I see the physical tools to be a top-pairing defenceman, but he still makes mistakes a player with his experience should not be making.

If he dials it back a touch he can be a very effective second-pairing guy. He doesn't have the head to be first pairing, although he did look good paired with Risto.

This is a tremendous assessment of Bogosian. The question I have, and I hope Murray is at least asking, is if we can get this from someone else on a better contract and without the injuries.

Sounds remarkably like the player we traded for him, only Bogo brings far more sand to his game

GO SABRES!!!

Myers is one of the softest players on the Jets and when he does rough it up, he seems to go overboard and get penalties. He is picking his spots a bit better when to rush the puck but still gets caught up ice. He is a great skater and seems to gain the O zone failry easy but not the best passer and needs to look after the d part of the game better. Plays big minutes against the other team's top lines but I'm not sure I would have him in that role if I were the coach. Ideally have him involved in bringing Hamonic here in the off-season and playing Hamonic with Enstrom would be a great shutdown pairing. Myers' caphit is 5.5m and he gets an actual salary of quite a bit less so the Jets like that...unfortunately...

Bogo is a 2nd pairing RHD when he is playing his game with a responsible partner. He should n't be looked at to produce a lot of points but rather punish you if you get too close to the crease. He's a decent passer and doesn't panic with the puck but really needs to be paired with the right guy. Both Bogo and Kaner were brought into the NHL too early. Same as a lot of Atlanta players. Armia was one of the better players on a sad team last night. Got some 2nd line time with Scheifele and Ehlers. Not as offensively gifted as Ehlers but way smarter defensively.

Myers is one of the softest players on the Jets and when he does rough it up, he seems to go overboard and get penalties. He is picking his spots a bit better when to rush the puck but still gets caught up ice. He is a great skater and seems to gain the O zone failry easy but not the best passer and needs to look after the d part of the game better. Plays big minutes against the other team's top lines but I'm not sure I would have him in that role if I were the coach. Ideally have him involved in bringing Hamonic here in the off-season and playing Hamonic with Enstrom would be a great shutdown pairing. Myers' caphit is 5.5m and he gets an actual salary of quite a bit less so the Jets like that...unfortunately...

Bogo is a 2nd pairing RHD when he is playing his game with a responsible partner. He should n't be looked at to produce a lot of points but rather punish you if you get too close to the crease. He's a decent passer and doesn't panic with the puck but really needs to be paired with the right guy. Both Bogo and Kaner were brought into the NHL too early. Same as a lot of Atlanta players. Armia was one of the better players on a sad team last night. Got some 2nd line time with Scheifele and Ehlers. Not as offensively gifted as Ehlers but way smarter defensively.

These seem like pretty reasonable assessments to me. We've seen penalty-taking Myers too; it always seemed like that's not at all natural for him so he does what he thinks is tough but doesn't do it with the nuance that helps other guys get away with it. He's the awkward guy at a party talking to women and not doing anything obviously wrong, but just doesn't do it right.

Gorges and Gionta need to have a talk with Kaner before you can declare that. Maybe he'll listen to them. Management can't be happy with Kaner missing practice with all the youngsters on the team.

Management wasn't happy so they suspended him one game. Message sent. Nothing to see here.

I would bet that Evander has been told that another mishap like this will not be tolerated.

I would bet that Evander has been told that in no uncertain terms.

He isn't stupid. He has to clean up his image. His next contract should be a HUGE one but he is screwing it up.

Also, the way he apologized and kept on saying this will never happen again makes it seem to me that he got a lot more than a scolding and good for the scolder. Whether it was owner, GM, coach(es), teammates or any combination of them. I'd think that it wouldn't take a lot for the Sabres to start shopping him if he screws up again. Can't be screwing up like this in front of the younger players and giving a wrong impression to them. This is critical to building a team.

This is his 7th year and he should be a bit more of a role model for the younger players. He does it by keeping in tip top shape and playing 100% every shift, why can't he do it off the ice?

I would bet that Evander has been told that another mishap like this will not be tolerated.

I would bet that Evander has been told that in no uncertain terms.

He isn't stupid. He has to clean up his image. His next contract should be a HUGE one but he is screwing it up.

Also, the way he apologized and kept on saying this will never happen again makes it seem to me that he got a lot more than a scolding and good for the scolder. Whether it was owner, GM, coach(es), teammates or any combination of them. I'd think that it wouldn't take a lot for the Sabres to start shopping him if he screws up again. Can't be screwing up like this in front of the younger players and giving a wrong impression to them. This is critical to building a team.

This is his 7th year and he should be a bit more of a role model for the younger players. He does it by keeping in tip top shape and playing 100% every shift, why can't he do it off the ice?

Good post. In the news conference he thanked his team mates for their support. This is a tight room but I'm sure he'll have some alone time with a couple of the veteran guys and they'll try and set him straight. No clothes into the shower...yet.

Staf had 19 points LAST year with the Jets and Kane has 21 with the Sabres and is playing on their 3rd line for 6m a year and Staf has "marginally" out produced Kane? okay....

Let's say Armia plays the 3rd line for the sake of argument.....isn't that where Kane is playing. Isn't that where he played a LOT of the time with the Jets? Kane has no vision and a low hockey IQ. Open your eyes.

Haven't heard much defense of Bogo???? Lotsa talk about trading him though.

Admit it, after a year, it looks like the Jets got the better deal.

Thought this was a relevant tweet from the NHL.  Kane 4th in the entire NHL in TOI amongst forwards.  We love running our third line out there.

https://twitter.com/PR_NHL/status/700419562911752193/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Thought this was a relevant tweet from the NHL.  Kane 4th in the entire NHL in TOI amongst forwards.  We love running our third line out there.

https://twitter.com/PR_NHL/status/700419562911752193/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

I don't think it's high 3rd-line usage as much as it is Kaner playing special teams plus the odd bonus shift with whoever strikes DDB's fancy.

I don't think it's high 3rd-line usage as much as it is Kaner playing special teams plus the odd bonus shift with whoever strikes DDB's fancy.

Oh ya I know.  It was snark for Ducky's comments that Kane is a 3rd line player.  He does much more than a typical 3rd line player.

snark snark

I wish all the best to Kaner, I really do. I like what he brings on the ice even if he doesn't use his linemates properly. It is his baggage I am glad to be rid of.

I am hoping for a 3 point game today in the Sabres' game.

Edited by Ducky

He takes very long shifts as well.   Always the last guy off.

Me too.

I'm not sure if we finish lower than TO or CBJ but I am sure we can finish behind everyone else.

Why should the Oilers get rewarded for consistent mismanagement?

Matthews between Kyle Connor and Ehlers would be nice.

Pavs played like shite last game so I am expecting the other sieve, Hutchinson, to start Saturday night.

I'll be at the Festival du Voyageur watching fiddling and drinking Caribou Juice so I'll have to tape it.

I just want to chime in with a thought regarding something ducky asked of Kane up the thread. Why can't he be a role model off the ice when he clearly works hard on the ice? I think the answer is maturity, and that, perhaps, considering the commitment a player has to make to be a player in the NHL...things like time spent with the various activities a player is required to do, and the self-care, combined with the effort in game...Kane may feel he does his share but needs, and believes he's earned, a break once in a while. Going to the NBA all star game is his kind of break, but he mismanaged the turn around time on that activity.

That's just immaturity, which has obviously bit him in the ass in the past. The consensus on his presser seems to be that he responded differently this time to getting in trouble. So, maybe this episode may be the one that "breaks him", the one that kicks his maturity level up a notch.

Armia got 19:20 (2nd highest of any forward) of ice time tonight with Ladd traded and Little out and he scored twice and picked up an assist. He undressed Oduya and Oduya had to look at the big screen to see what Armia did to him...

I am telling you, if he can't make the 2nd line it is because Ehlers and Wheeler are playing too good to be knocked down. More competition with Dano coming in too.

sidenote...We have a LW prospect (Connor) in the NCAA right now that is ahead of Eichel's ppg of 1.83.

Rumor has it he scored twice again tonight.

Armia got 19:20 (2nd highest of any forward) of ice time tonight with Ladd traded and Little out and he scored twice and picked up an assist. He undressed Oduya and Oduya had to look at the big screen to see what Armia did to him...

I am telling you, if he can't make the 2nd line it is because Ehlers and Wheeler are playing too good to be knocked down. More competition with Dano coming in too.

sidenote...We have a LW prospect (Connor) in the NCAA right now that is ahead of Eichel's ppg of 1.83.

Rumor has it he scored twice again tonight.

Filthy goal that was, glad to see him progressing.

Not sure how relevant the Jack comparison is, because he's doing it in his post-draft year, and Eich would likely be tearing up NCAA if he was there this year, but I love me some Kyle Connor.

Me too.

I'm not sure if we finish lower than TO or CBJ but I am sure we can finish behind everyone else.

Why should the Oilers get rewarded for consistent mismanagement?

Matthews between Kyle Connor and Ehlers would be nice.

Pavs played like shite last game so I am expecting the other sieve, Hutchinson, to start Saturday night.

I'll be at the Festival du Voyageur watching fiddling and drinking Caribou Juice so I'll have to tape it.

If you can get Matthews between Connor and Ehlers... nice doesn't begin to describe that. I actually really want to see this now.

I'm going to see RPI at Cornell tomorrow night and hoping to see Kasdorf play in net for The Engineers. 

2.16 GAA with 0.935 save percentage. RPI in the 10-20th range nationally this year. I'll try to report back on how he looks, assuming he's in net as the back-up (a Freshman named Cam Hackett) is having a good year too. 

So Kasdorf stopped 29 of 32 in helping RPI pull-out a tie at Cornell. He's got good size, very poised in net. Seems like ice water in his veins even when things got physical or went against him. First goal was a soft shot less than 30 seconds into the game from the blue line through all sorts of people and may have deflected more than once. He had no chance on the 2nd and the third went to a video review to see if he had been interfered with. In any event there was a ton of traffic in front of him and a hard shot from the point trickled in. None of these goals nor the obnoxious (but great college hockey) crowd at Lynah Rink seemed to bother him. He doesn't move as smoothly as say, Lehner or Johnson but he's not an NHL goalie yet. Nice glove hand and uses his pads well. Doesn't go down too quickly.

The RPI coach Seth Appert came to the restaurant where some RPI alumni had gathered before the game and spoke to the group. He started out with glowing praise for Kasdorf calling him one of the 10 best goalies in the NCAA and particularly praising his maturity and leadership. Kasdorf is married with a child due in May. Appert says that although he's a Senior he has a 5th year of eligibility and it's 50/50 whether he signs with the Sabres or comes back for a grad school year of college hockey. 

Anyway, he's a good guy to have in the system and maybe we'll see him in Rochester next year. I don't think he'd be out of place at all. 

PS - RPI tied it with less than a minute left and the goalie pulled. A solid effort for an out manned squad with 5 of their top 12 forwards out with injury.

PPS - college hockey is so great.