Trade: Myers, Stafford, Armia, Lemieux, + Low 1st for Kane, Bogosian, and Kasdorf

dudacek

Stafford and Myers played pretty much the same as we saw with Buffalo.  I thought Stafford had a good game (I never hated his as much as others on this board) and Myers was good in his own zone, especially along the wall.  Typical Myers missed badly on some outlet passes - one in particular would have let to a 2-on-1 but instead went for an icing call.

The Weber shot caught Myers in the knee area.  He might be out for a bit.

I still think Bogo is better overall than Myers.  I guess we'll know soon enough.

Stafford and Myers played pretty much the same as we saw with Buffalo.  I thought Stafford had a good game (I never hated his as much as others on this board) and Myers was good in his own zone, especially along the wall.  Typical Myers missed badly on some outlet passes - one in particular would have let to a 2-on-1 but instead went for an icing call.

The Weber shot caught Myers in the knee area.  He might be out for a bit.

I still think Bogo is better overall than Myers.  I guess we'll know soon enough.

Beat me to it, but left knee (not foot) confirmed here:

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/players/playerpage/1639453/tyler-myers

This brings up an interesting phenomenon IMO.

Everyone wants to win the trade. As Sabres fans we surely hope we "win the trade." But it really means nothing. I was sooooooo sick of Stafford, and wanted him gone, and was extremely frustrated with Myers a lot of the time. But they were nice guys. I hated Stafford as a player at times but I liked him as a guy. I really hope he does well. I really hope Myers does well. I hope both teams think they won the trade. I wouldn't say that about other players. Has nothing to do with how good you think they are.

Kelly I appreciate this post. I wish all of our guys well. Even the staph. Of course fans want to win the trade all the time. Darcy would have never had the stomach or the stones to pull this off.  

I am laughing at how many of us fans are saying how much we overpaid. Maybe that's the Darcy effect? We don't understand what it takes to make a bold move like this because well, he just wouldn't have done it. Perhaps he would have gotten the deal done as most fans would have liked minus Lemieux or Armia. I don't really care.

We have the assets, and we paid the asking price. Done deal. We did not overpay. We paid the going rate required to get the talent level we got. No problem.  

Sorry, back to the guys, I'm still a little sick seeing Miller in Canucks uni. These guys have all given us a lot of um, intrigue, value, entertainment etc over the years and I can only hope they do well and enjoy their new teams and sniff the playoffs again.

Wait, I'm full of chit. I don't give a damn where Matt Ellis and Brian Flynn, end up. I have spent too much money and too much time yelling they suck to truly wish them the to playoffs somewhere else lol.

Stafford had few chances.. He , for whatever reason , seems the most likely to come close to his best year if he gets first or second line minutes.. He isn't as much of a tool as he was and seems to realize by his effort this year that this is his last shot to be treated like a first rounder.

I really believe we get the bestout of Bogosian and turn him loose since he was third pick overall (ahead of Myers) and had really big point production in his draft years in junior. After 6 years he is just playing against guys he dominated to rise to the top of the draft .. Haven't seen anything but you must see the ice pretty well to have 50, 60 assists in the OHL as a defensemen.. I think the same is true for Kane (third line and injured past toe years) and I think myers slways looked awkward and weak. (never saw much of Calder season). But he never seemed comfortable in his own skin without a couple odd moments per game. This has more of a chance of both winning or us losing if wrong on prospects than being glad the lazy Vaine k is notskimg me wonder if he is a star or he just plays one when feels like it a couple shifts a game.

I agree .. Am so glad everyone except miller briere and drury are gone .. Wusses and Floaters once they had to be the guy except for the three above. Seeing those videos that a bunch of you posted reminded me of why I loved the sabres ..I hope Murray finds our soul we lost Tough team and talent sounds like a good start

Last.. I hate hearing guys that like big goalies or strong forwards. Gretsky and hasek didn't "look" like hockey players as rookies. Turgeon looked like a hockey player but what a difference to get an injured little guy. Anyway ... I hope I'm stating the obvious and I'm sure Murray will see talent in any package.

Edited by K8prisoner

Sign Stewart instead of trading him and you've got some pretty big boys on the top 9.  Stewart, Kane, Foligno, Girgensens (if he gets pushed to wing).

Me likey.

I hope this is the plan. Especially if the expectation is that Reinhart and McDavid are on the roster next season. Another plus of having big bodies that can skate and play the game is that concerns about a player like Ennis being too small disappear because he'll have the room to play his style of game. 

I really believe we get the bestout of Bogosian and turn him loose since he was third pick overall (ahead of Myers) and had really big point production in his draft years in junior. After 6 years he is just playing against guys he dominated to rise to the top of the draft .. Haven't seen anything but you must see the ice pretty well to have 50, 60 assists in the OHL as a defensemen.. I think the same is true for Kane (third line and injured past toe years) and I think myers slways looked awkward and weak. (never saw much of Calder season). But he never seemed comfortable in his own skin without a couple odd moments per game. This has more of a chance of both winning or us losing if wrong on prospects than being glad the lazy Vaine k is notskimg me wonder if he is a star or he just plays one when feels like it a couple shifts a game.

All the big players in that trade have been in the NHL for 6+ seasons, their junior #'s now mean absolute squat.  

I agree that Myers looked awkward and I think it was his hockey IQ. At times he couldn't process the game fast enough so his brain buffered.

I hope this is the plan. Especially if the expectation is that Reinhart and McDavid are on the roster next season. Another plus of having big bodies that can skate and play the game is that concerns about a player like Ennis being too small disappear because he'll have the room to play his style of game. 

I like the idea of Tyler Ennis on the roster next year.  I feel like his speed and veteran presence (that's right folks he is a vet now) could actually help the youth.  Also whether it be Connor or Jack or Reinhart, those guys need a speedy winger to dish the puck to in open space. 

Murray was on Hockey Central at Noon

About the trade:

Was talking to TP this morning and said they where buyers yesterday.

Feels there are two sides to every story and he did not need to talk to Kane prior to the deal.

Kane cannot start rehab for one month, and no decision on where he will rehab has been made

Kane will be in Buffalo Feb 20-23 to meet with medical staff/trainers, meet the team and for press availability

He is not concerned about the labrum repair, as this is the same surgery that Foligno had.

He and Chevy were not concerned about winning the trade, wanted to get fair deal for both sides

here's the audio: http://pmd.fan590.com/audio_on_demand-3/Tim-Murray-with-Daren-Millard,-Nick-Kypreos-and-Doug-MacLean-hc-20150212-Interview.mp3

Edited by Lanny

Just got back from the Jets/Preds game. A few observations to add to what's already been said - Myers started the game on the power play, but I don't believe he touched the ice during the 5 on 3. He tried to skate a little a few shifts after blocking Weber's shot.

I'm pretty sure he went straight down the tunnel and didn't return after that one... he stayed out there out of necessity after blocking the shot because he was trapped in the defensive zone, but as soon as Nashville scored he left the ice in considerable pain.

It will be interesting to see if Lemieux plays the same kind of hardball with the Jets when it comes to his contract negotiations. I'm not convinced everyone thinks he deserves to be paid like the first round pick he thinks he is.

GO SABRES!!!

It will be interesting to see if Lemieux plays the same kind of hardball with the Jets when it comes to his contract negotiations. I'm not convinced everyone thinks he deserves to be paid like the first round pick he thinks he is.

GO SABRES!!!

Which is why he wants to wait a year and see if his production continues to grow again next year.

Right now, Brandon Lemieux is 35th in scoring in the OHl. That hardly translates into a sure fire bet to be a scorer in the NHL. Justin Bailey sits at 19, and I'd consider him a long shot to be an impact player

http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/stats/show/type/top_scorers/ls_season/51/first/20

Good point.  Lemieux is a kid who fell to the second round of the draft.  Maybe there is a reason he lasted that long.  And, maybe there is a reason Murray wouldn't give into his contract demands.

(I didn't realize Bailey was having such a good year)