Buffalo Bills 2015

Taro T

yeah REALLY!!! FJ didn't start his NFL career till age 27. That's half a career.More really. And FJ played on lousy teams. If FJ started his career at a normal age his stats would be very big.

OJ has way less career TDs than either Marcus or Riggins--and he was clearly better than both of them. So that's not the stat to throw around loosely.

You think Marcus would have done better at the same ages in crap Buffalo than Freddy did??......You don't think Freddy coulda had 1700 yards rushing on a good team ala Marcus at a young age?. Fred was at 1000 yds not much more than halfway thru the season at(im not sure the age but it was up around 30) before he got injured.

You could just as easily say that if he had started at a normal age he'd be broken by now too.

4th and goal from the 2 or 3 for the win. Who do you want carrying the ball? FJ all day over any of the backs the bills have.

Not only bad karma but bad football mgmt.

Marcus Allen and John Riggins were highly clutch and valuable into their mid 30s.

I'm not sure anybody gets the ball in that scenario. Not a typical running situation and for good reason. Gotta give your QB some options there. 

GO BILLS!!!

Everything in his play indicated it wasn't a year too late. What is the downside of keeping him? I have yet to heard a good reason

I think it's a question of practicality sometimes. It's a cold reality, but 34 year old backup running backs who have lost a step getting $2.5m on a team with several key players to re-sign, may not provide the value to justify keeping him over someone else at a salary more conducive to that role. 

Don't be surprised if they cut Cassell for the same reasons. 

GO BILLS!!!

I'm not sure anybody gets the ball in that scenario. Not a typical running situation and for good reason. Gotta give your QB some options there. 

Russell Wilson agrees.

butlers-super-bowl-winning-interception-

I think it's a question of practicality sometimes. It's a cold reality, but 34 year old backup running backs who have lost a step getting $2.5m on a team with several key players to re-sign, may not provide the value to justify keeping him over someone else at a salary more conducive to that role. 

This is where I am confused, though: What re-signing or restructuring would F-Jax's contract and cap hit have affected? 

Maybe there is something yet to come that will shed light on this.

GO BILLS!!!

GO BILLS!!!

Unless you're Seattle, in which case you want to give him exactly one option to throw to :wallbash:

Russell Wilson agrees.

butlers-super-bowl-winning-interception-

This is where I am confused, though: What re-signing or restructuring would F-Jax's contract and cap hit have affected? 

Maybe there is something yet to come that will shed light on this.

This assumes Freddy would have been amenable to restructuring at this stage, but I don't think it was strictly a question of dollars. I think this staff would have considered releasing him regardless, imo. 

They wanted to do it last March. 

He was limited by injury and didn't get the reps others used to make an impression. 

Karlos Williams and Boobie Dixon (especially) are special team mainstays.

Bryce Brown has better wheels. But I'm not sure he survives final cuts, anyway. 

I've been trying to gauge where Roman might place more value. In camp and as seen with the Niners, he places a premium on TEs to implement his schemes. With the emergence of Gragg and Gray, he may want to carry only three RBs. That leaves McCoy and two backups who have high value as STers. 

If all goes according to plan, the backup RB isn't going to see much time in this offense. Yes, injuries happen and that may bite us in the ass later on, but that is where the guys who are here have to step up and make us not wish we had a Freddy to plug in. It's a gamble to some extent, but not unreasonable and nothing out of the ordinary. 

GO BILLS!!!

Unless you're Seattle, in which case you want to give him exactly one option to throw to :wallbash:

Seattle had a 2nd and goal from the 1 when Wilson threw the INT. Totally different circumstance than the "4th and goal from the 2 or 3 for the win" as described above. Everything is easy in retrospect, but Seattle didn't give Wilson many options on that play. Hell, they didn't even attempt a play action pass, never mind an option play. NE* would still be biting on a play fake to Lynch down there. 

GO BILLS!!!

This assumes Freddy would have been amenable to restructuring at this stage, but I don't think it was strictly a question of dollars. I think this staff would have considered releasing him regardless, imo. 

They wanted to do it last March. 

He was limited by injury and didn't get the reps others used to make an impression. 

Karlos Williams and Boobie Dixon (especially) are special team mainstays.

Bryce Brown has better wheels. But I'm not sure he survives final cuts, anyway. 

I've been trying to gauge where Roman might place more value. In camp and as seen with the Niners, he places a premium on TEs to implement his schemes. With the emergence of Gragg and Gray, he may want to carry only three RBs. That leaves McCoy and two backups who have high value as STers. 

If all goes according to plan, the backup RB isn't going to see much time in this offense. Yes, injuries happen and that may bite us in the ass later on, but that is where the guys who are here have to step up and make us not wish we had a Freddy to plug in. It's a gamble to some extent, but not unreasonable and nothing out of the ordinary. 

GO BILLS!!!

This seems very logical.

Especially when viewed from Roman's perspective that he has no emotional ties to any players on this team and it's all about winning and giving himself with his scheme the best chance to win.

Interesting take. Short passes to the multiple TEs can function like runs?

Seattle had a 2nd and goal from the 1 when Wilson threw the INT. Totally different circumstance than the "4th and goal from the 2 or 3 for the win" as described above. Everything is easy in retrospect, but Seattle didn't give Wilson many options on that play. Hell, they didn't even attempt a play action pass, never mind an option play. NE* would still be biting on a play fake to Lynch down there. 

I'm mostly just funning. The parallels were just too easy, not to drop that .gif.

From my perspective, I think it was a defensible (probably not an optimal) play call, with decent (but not good or great) execution on the part of the offense, met with excellent recognition and execution on the part of that DB.

+++

Fwiw, per Wiki, here are the RBs rostered with Roman as OC at S.F. 

Rookies' names appear in italics.

2014 Running backs

2013 Running backs

2012 Running backs

2011 Running backs

In the same years, Roman's offenses rostered tight ends as follows: Two in 2014 (a healthy Vernon Davis probably skews things there?), five in 2013 (a little weird?), and three in both 2012 and 2011.

Edited by That Aud Smell

I'm mostly just funning. The parallels were just too easy, not to drop that .gif.

From my perspective, I think it was a defensible (probably not an optimal) play call, with decent (but not good or great) execution on the part of the offense, met with excellent recognition and execution on the part of that DB.

+++

Fwiw, per Wiki, here are the RBs rostered with Roman as OC at S.F. 

Rookies' names appear in italics.

2014 Running backs

2013 Running backs

2012 Running backs

2011 Running backs

In the same years, Roman's offenses rostered tight ends as follows: Two in 2014 (a healthy Vernon Davis probably skews things there), five in 2013 (that's a little weird?), and three in both 2012 and 2011.

Thanks for taking the time to find the Niner roster info. Looks like 3 or 4 depending on who else he has on O. For instance, what if the Bills decide to keep two FBs this year in Felton and Connor and still value their TEs? Even less room for RBs who can't add value on STs. 

Roman is innovative for sure. Five TEs one year and only a couple the next. I think he takes the best talent and finds ways to use it. If he has better TEs he uses them; better RBs he uses them instead. He's used formations with 4 OTs on the field at one time as well. 

The more I think about it, the more I have no clue who he's gonna favor. But given the long looks the TEs have gotten this summer, I lean towards more of them and less RBs. Just a hunch, nothing more. 

GO BILLS!!!

That sounds a lot like the McNabb/Reid Eagles from a few years ago. They had a ridiculous run/pass ratio, but a lot of those passes were within a few yards of scrimmage so they were effectively outside runs.

How does that work?

Airplanes and stubhub. They lived in Seattle for a few years (she was born and raised there). Moved back to Buffalo last year and became season ticket holders at the Ralph.

They make money off of the Seattle seasons. Go to one or two games a year then sell the others (often for double the face value).

Airplanes and stubhub. They lived in Seattle for a few years (she was born and raised there). Moved back to Buffalo last year and became season ticket holders at the Ralph.

They make money off of the Seattle seasons. Go to one or two games a year then sell the others (often for double the face value).

That's what I figured.  Cool.

Very cool

Pete Carroll states Jackson is just visiting for now

@bcondotta: Carroll says no decision yet on signing Fred Jackson.

The judge could vacate Goodell's decision while remanding it back for re-argument in front of a neutral arbitrator, right? Part of me wants that to happen just to see the exasperation at it still not being over.

He could.  That would require a stay of the original ruling, as well.  And that's not exactly over the moon.

It is VERY likely that this is not over at this level.  You're likely to be happy.

End it. 4 or none.

My guess is the suspension remains but the written decision rips the NFL to shreds in the way they acted. Basically "because I don't want to set a precedent in other labor disputes on a smaller scale I'm going to maintain the suspension. HOWEVER, you're an idiot, Roger."

I'm no lawyer/judge. I have no idea what is actually going to happen. But that decision makes sense to me.

I don't really care what the outcome is. I know a few things: Brady cheated, acted foolishly in destroying his phone, the players failed each other by agreeing to the disciplinary system in place that allows Goodell to be the arbiter in these cases, Goodell made this harder on himself than it needed to be and I want this over.

Edited by Hoss

As a UNH law prof and sports law pundit noted: Even if Berman were to uphold Goodell in toto, NFLPA woukd appeal and seek (and quite possibly get) a stay of the penalty pending appeal.

That sort of proceeding would bring the injunction factors into play.

Odds actually seem favorable that Brady starts the season.

As a UNH law prof and sports law pundit noted: Even if Berman were to uphold Goodell in toto, NFLPA woukd appeal and seek (and quite possibly get) a stay of the penalty pending appeal.

That sort of proceeding would bring the injunction factors into play.

Odds actually seem favorable that Brady starts the season.

I don't know this; I'd love your opinion.  Where the PA abandoned the preliminary injunction below, can they get one from the 2d Cir?

PS I don't care about UNH or anything else outside of the 2d.

Edited by Eleven

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.