Buffalo Bills 2015

Taro T

Suh and Pacman both avoid suspensions. How Pacman did is beyond me, but look for Suh to start getting even more personal fouls, if that was possible. The refs are going to be looking at every little thing he does

Oh and I heard this on the Coller WGR pregame yesterday, and Rodak tweeted it too

@mikerodak: CBS Sports reports that Bills granted Fred Jackson permission to find new team in March; reached deal with Steelers: 
http://t.co/hm00i0XGRE

Might be a huge difference between EJ and Tyrod right here. We consistently heard it last year that EJ just can't lead, has no presence in the huddle. Well, TT does

@buffalobills

Percy on Tyrod's performance: "You could look in his eyes and see him command the huddle. That's poise."

Edited by WildCard

If we look closely we will probably spot you somewhere in the picture.

Look at their faces.  He's TAKING the picture.

That explains the shock in their faces

It would certainly not explain their tongues being out.  :ph34r:

But, yeah. That's pretty clearly a selfie.

I liked the idea that I'm the blurry dude in the background, though.

Do people usually take pride in a picture sent to them by their stalker fervent admirer?  I know I wouldn't make that into my first ever twitter post.

Fixed that for you.

Anyway, I know there was discussion yesterday about Hughes getting another personal foul early.  Did they ever actually say what that was for (another one missed by the announce crew)?

Neither the announcers nor the production crew gave it any follow-up. It was on Darby's INT return. My guess had been that he took a shot at Luck, but they did not show a replay on CBS.

Hughes drew a flagrant holding call in the 1st half.

Then again, he also got called for a face mask that undid that 20-yard fumble out of bounds loss. The Colts then scored from the 2 or 3 with that short pass play.

TT played as well as anyone could've asked. (They also need to get Sammy involved.)

It's kinda nice to be in the NFL again!

I was extremely impressed with TT.  Even the plays that didn't work, he was fully in control.  My sense is that the game plan was to use Sammy primarily as a decoy to draw double coverage and take what the D gives.  Once other teams adjust to Ryan using Wood and Harvin as primaries and shift their coverage accordingly, I expect Watkins will see his share of the ball.

As for your last remark, the toast for the post-game victory shot at the bar I watched the game was, "WE DON'T SUCK ANYMORE!!"  :)

On the flip side, I loved that our offense never stopped trying to score. The deep bomb attempt to Watkins was a thing of beauty. Doug Marrone would never ever ever call that play.

The team played like they expected to win the entire time. Whenever I expected them to let up or make a Bills boneheaded mistake they did not. I'm giving Rex credit here, too. The team's attitude seemed to reflect his.

On the "never stopped trying to score" remark, I was also very impressed that the team came out in a pretty measured way early on, as if feeling out what Indy's defense would give up and kind of luring them into a false sense of security before going for the long strike to open the scoring.  I loved the very patient, MISTAKE FREE approach.  It will be interesting to see how the team reacts to an opponent that exerts early pressure (either offensively or defensively).

Aside from a few undisciplined penalties, the game was error-free.  And even those penalties could have been viewed through a lens of setting the tone.  I don't want the team to play dirty, but Rex definitely assembled a team to play rough.  One game in, it looks like he's fulfilled his promise to build a team that will be tough to play against.

1). My team won, so I'm not blaming refs, but, man, the NFL is becoming unwatchable with all of the flags. Even when they're the right call (the unequal treatment of punter contact), this sanitization drives me nuts.

2). Our corners. Best I've seem since it became a flag to touch a receiver. Awesome.

3). Two halves, two defenses, each correct. The first half fun of bringing the house and jumping routes vs. the second half zone trading points for minutes. I liked it.

4). The jury's still out on McCoy, but it worries me less.

7). I'll never bemoan drafting CBs again.

8). Karlos!

10). Add Sammy.

1) If it's any consolation, I've noticed the same trend in MLB in terms of uneven calls.

2) Remember in the preseason where he exposed Darby and wanted him to get a trial by fire?  Looks like it paid off.  He was very, very good for someone so inexperienced.  Actually, very good, PERIOD.

3) There's a fine line between what Rex did in the second half and the prevent defense.  I hate prevent; it often prevents a win (reference:  NY Giants last night).  That said, yeah, it was a great effort by the D.

4) I'm not worried too much about McCoy, but I think they need to rethink the running plays they design for him.  Too much east and west, not enough north and south.  The short passes do a fine job of getting him out to the edge, but when he runs I'd like to see more straight ahead and less sideways.  But in general, SHADY MCCOY WILL BE FINE.

7) Dang, but weren't they impressive?

8) Karlos was also impressive.  I love, love, love that Rex is giving reps to all the players, not just the established vets.  Use all the weapons and it gets really hard for the other team to know where to put their attention.

10)  Add Sammy.  I'm sure he will get his share of touches as the season progresses.

Oh man, we don't get pizza and wings that look like that down here!

I had to watch the game at a Jets bar.................. :wallbash:

We're really lucky - there's a guy that was working as a chef for one of the high end restaurants down here.  He's originally from Buffalo, and pitched his idea for a Buffalo-themed bar; his boss backed him, and Buffalo Bros. was born.  Because he's from Buffalo, he "gets it" and the Buffalo food is truly Buffalo food (he even has kimmelweck rolls locally baked to his specifications and I think they're better than most of the ones you get in Buffalo these days).

When the Bills had the touchdown called back on a penalty and they ended scoring the TD after was the moment that told me that things are different. That same scenario in previous seasons ended up with a field goal attempt. This team didn't let adversity slow them down yesterday. 

I thought that was a great indicator of where this team is mentally.  They overcame penalties several times yesterday, that being the most obvious example.  A Marrone team would have folded, but Rex has these guys believing in the inevitability of success, so after the setback they just proceeded to take it in.  It seems like the setbacks don't phase them at all; they expect that not every play will succeed, so when one goes bad they just get back to playing football the next play.

Aside from a few undisciplined penalties, the game was error-free.  And even those penalties could have been viewed through a lens of setting the tone.  I don't want the team to play dirty, but Rex definitely assembled a team to play rough.  One game in, it looks like he's fulfilled his promise to build a team that will be tough to play against.

11 penalties for over 110 yards. That's gotta get fixed.

Neither the announcers nor the production crew gave it any follow-up. It was on Darby's INT return. My guess had been that he took a shot at Luck, but they did not show a replay on CBS.

Hughes drew a flagrant holding call in the 1st half.

Then again, he also got called for a face mask that undid that 20-yard fumble out of bounds loss. The Colts then scored from the 2 or 3 with that short pass play.

I had the same thought, that he must have lit up Luck.  Instead, they quickly showed the highlight of Luck making the tackle and never mentioned the call.  Maybe I'll do some digging.

I had the same thought, that he must have lit up Luck.  Instead, they quickly showed the highlight of Luck making the tackle and never mentioned the call.  Maybe I'll do some digging.

Ahh - good on ya. They DID show Luck make the tackle. That sorta rules out the gratuitous QB shot as the cause of the personal foul. More likely Hughes just back-cracked (or whatever it's called) some defenseless player on offense-turned-defense.

I have the HD recording of the game, and Hughes didn't even come close to the Colt player's facemask on the forces fumble play. Actually, Hughes was in fact getting facemasked.

Interesting. I think the official who threw the flag had a funny angle on the play - something looked weird about the ball carrier when I watched it in real time.

To me, the biggest thing was that toward the end, I wasn't worried about them giving the game away. Previous years, I would have had some sweaty palms going, like we were getting away with something if we won. I have to say they look good despite the dumb penalties.

The coverage in the Buffalo News today was fun to read...it was like they were writing up a superbowl win. Tyrod Taylor being compared to Flutie and Russel Wilson...Karlos Williams stealing the show from McCoy...Ron Darby (rookie CB) stared Luck in the eye and Luck flinched (figuratively)...the 12th Man so loud the Bills defense had trouble calling their own alignments...after reading all that you feel like there's no way they can lose another game! Ah, the joy of a fresh NFL season. These were some of my favorites, the dramatism was very well done and enjoyable to read.

----------

“I came out and our fans were up the whole time,” Ryan said after the Bills’ rousing, 27-14 victory over Indianapolis. “It was unbelievable. They were standing the entire time for the introductions. They knew it was going to be a special day and so did I. I was like, ‘You can sit down anytime soon.’

“But I forgot, this is Buffalo.”

------------------

The bravado was surprising. Strange, even. This rookie cornerback blistered most of August was about to become a bull’s-eye for three hours at Ralph Wilson Stadium.

Yet on the first drive of the Buffalo Bills’ 27-14 win over Indianapolis, Ronald Darby broke up a pass and then immediately turned to the Indianapolis Colts sideline with an animated “incomplete” signal.

In other words, Darby antagonized arguably the best quarterback in the game.

-------------

Ryan’s players bought into the swagger and the bravado and fell in line with the idea that, yes, this is a very different Bills team than any that has taken the field in many years. This one was built to not only win, but to dominate in all phases. This one was put together to keep playing after the regular season.

And on Sunday, the Bills opened their schedule by walking the walk. They beat the Indianapolis Colts, 27-14, in every possible way at Ralph Wilson Stadium. They pounded them physically. They out-smarted them with brilliant offensive and defensive strategy that went a long way toward allowing the first-time NFL starter, Tyrod Taylor, to look far more seasoned than his much more highly touted counterpart, Andrew Luck. They kept a crowd of 70,319 roaring from start to finish.

----------------------

Years ago, when Ryan Fitzpatrick won a few games for the Bills, Fitz-magic became a catch phrase around town. But it always rang hollow. Fitz was brilliant, but he was an average quarterback who helped an average team during their long playoff drought. Anyone watching Sunday found a different kind of magic.

Flutie magic.

--------------------------

Safety Aaron Williams sensed it when Rex Ryan was giving his speech to the team Saturday night. Williams looked down at his clenched hands and felt them trembling in his lap. He looked around at his teammates, who seemed ready to run through the hotel walls.

Am I the only one who thinks about the soundtrack to A Clockork Orange every time Karlos Willaims is mentioned?

Dunno.  I think of the poet.  Especially when I read "Buffalo Bill Karlos Williams," my brain desperately tries not to turn that into "Buffalo William Carlos Williams."

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.