Buffalo Bills 2015

Taro T

If there was ever a time for karma to rear her bitchy head, it will be sometime during the month of September for Tommy Boy. Here's to hoping that Brady ends up wishing for the rest of his days that he had been suspended.

Are you hoping he gets seriously injured?  I don't like the guy either, but wishing serious physical harm on a cheater is way too far, IMO.  Apologies if I'm misreading your post.

If there was ever a time for karma to rear her bitchy head, it will be sometime during the month of September for Tommy Boy. Here's to hoping that Brady ends up wishing for the rest of his days that he had been suspended.

Are you hoping he gets seriously injured?  I don't like the guy either, but wishing serious physical harm on a cheater is way too far, IMO.  Apologies if I'm misreading your post.

I personally wouldn't wish any kind of life altering injury on him, but I wouldn't go as far as to say I would mind if he was tossed around by the Bills D and missed a few games with a bruised rib or something. So injure him, sure, just not a long term effect one. Something akin to a broken leg, that isn't some multiple contusion mess, just a 4 to 6 week injury I wouldn't want a concussion or anything.

Totally nonsense.... 

Berman cites the NFL's not setting specific disciplinary boundaries regarding deflation of footballs, the lack of "proof" (despite the fact that it was established within the CBA), not being transparent enough with Brady's camp etc... Essentially he ruled on the matter of undue process.

This is death of justice/values/truth by semantics to me.  It was clear Brady was lying, that he was communicating with locker room officials, that he was aware of the deflation of the footballs from the very start.  From that obnoxious press conference where he quaintly dismissed every question with sarcasm to the radio interview where "he had heard it all now", his behavior told it all; he was clearly hiding something.  He had a multi billion dollar institution behind him to obscure the facts, smear his accusers, and run the essence of the case so deeply through the mud that true north became completely indistinguishable as it often does in these circus parades.  It went from "The Patriots cheated again to "Roger Goddell does not have the authority to be judge jury an executioner", and actually, he does.. or he did, based on the damn CBA that the NFLPA agreed to. 

Pathetic...

I don't want anyone to purposely try to injure him, no.  He's 37 and has his rings, however tainted they may be, if the process of his eventual demise is sped up some by risks inherent to a violent game then I'll not shed a single tear.

Looks to have come down to due process concepts and law of the shop type stuff, as others had predicted upthread.

And I think Berman got it right, as a legal matter: Brady's a cheat and a doosh, but Goodell is frickin' out of control.

Edited by That Aud Smell

Looks to have come down to due process concepts and law of the shop type stuff, as others had predicted upthread.

And I think Berman got it right, as a legal matter: Brady's a cheat and a doosh, but Goodell is frickin' out of control.

I think the interesting question becomes: How many times does the NFL have to lose in court before some owners start wondering how hard it would be to find another commish who will produce the same financial results without repeatedly making poor decisions elsewhere in the business?

I just feel like these are separate issues that have been conjoined for the convenience of Bradys case.  

So the NFL justice system is flawed, its true. But it was already collectively bargained, so if you are going to amend it, you can reference this case, but not use it as the sole determining factor in a case regarding tampering and blemishing the integrity of the league.  IMO

Disclaimer: I am  not a lawyer.

Does anyone else not care about this? From the get go, I thought this entire thing was silliness.

This is pretty much where I am as well. 

I'd go a bit further and say that as a (somewhat conflicted) NFL fan, I would not have wanted Brady -- one of the best 2 or 3 players in the game -- to miss 4 games of the season for something so inconsequential.

I think the interesting question becomes: How many times does the NFL have to lose in court before some owners start wondering how hard it would be to find another commish who will produce the same financial results without repeatedly making poor decisions elsewhere in the business?

I think this is right. The league is printing money. The decisions that come from the league office all seem to be bad ones, or weird ones. (Those golden fifty yard lines look awful.)

Does anyone else not care about this? From the get go, I thought this entire thing was silliness.

I never actually cared about the allegation of deflating. The cover-up was somewhat offensive. But then both parties covered themselves in heaping portions of shame.

I will allow: I was sorta hoping to avoid Brady in Week 2. 

An effort to make it as specific to this case as possible and not open the door for other players?

I did not read it that way. I think Berman's ruling, if upheld, will serve to greatly diminish what Goodell had assumed to be the extent of his powers.

I mean the concept of suspending him for 4 games over deflating footballs is maybe ridiculous, but the fact that he consistently lied about everything and that his isn't the first time this organization has cheated is pretty bullish IMO. Is there an example in another North American sport where an organization has as blatantly cheated this continuously and reaped prominent success over that same time period, only to go minimally punished? 

I mean the concept of suspending him for 4 games over deflating footballs is maybe ridiculous, but the fact that he consistently lied about everything and that his isn't the first time this organization has cheated is pretty bullish IMO. Is there an example in another North American sport where an organization has as blatantly cheated this continuously and reaped prominent success over that same time period, only to go minimally punished? 

I'm convinced that the NFL loves this stuff. This is the best marketing they have going every off-season: bazaar rule changes, suspensions, etc. They are constantly creating news. It is all good for them. 

I'm convinced that the NFL loves this stuff. This is the best marketing they have going every off-season: bazaar rule changes, suspensions, etc. They are constantly creating news. It is all good for them. 

The old rule "Any publicity is good publicity" may be not true for the league; I think they're big enough at this point where they don't need this kind of publicity to further their market/exposure 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.