Buffalo Bills 2015

Taro T

Well, I'm a little bored and sick... So I decided to do a quick free agent primer ahead of 4 p.m. based on what I think are still needs, what we've heard and what's out there:

WIDE RECEIVER

This isn't really a big need right now, and they'd be smart to focus money elsewhere... But I could see some action if the price is right.

Michael Crabtree, WR, San Francisco 49ers

He's small but plays huge. He can be a target in the redzone due to his strength. At 27 he's one of the best free agent wideouts available. He would be the perfect compliment to Woods and Watkins, and he's flown under the radar on the market.

Kenny Britt, WR, St. Louis Rams

The team pursued him and came close last offseason, but he went to St. Louis. He had a very good year fighting back from injuries and off-the-field issues. He's got great size and, surprisingly, is a year younger than Crabtree. He can be used in the redzone to cap off long drives which will likely be a key to the Bills offense this season.

Other name to watch: Cecil Shorts III

TIGHT END

This is, and has been, one of the team's biggest needs for a while now. Chandler is mediocre at best with horrible hands...

Charles Clay, TE, Miami Dolphins

Clay is the one we've heard many many times this offseason. The AP is reporting the Bills are preparing an offer for him, so this could get interesting. Miami applied the transition tag, so they could match any offer he gets. Whaley will have to get creative. He isn't the big-body modern TE like Gronk/Graham, but he's a very consistent target who seems to be on the upswing still. Doesn't offer much in the red zone that the Bills don't already have.

Jordan Cameron, TE, Cleveland Browns

He's really only had one good year in his career and injuries have really hurt his value... But maybe that's exactly what Buffalo needs. He IS the big-body type that everybody craves and has speed to create mismatches. If his value has really dipped, and the lack of talk points to exactly that, he may be a bit of a steal if his one good year wasn't a fluke.

Other names to watch: Ed Dickson, Owen Daniels

OFFENSIVE LINE

They've already addressed one of their 2/3 holes on the line with Incognito, but they still need to upgrade and talk is that they're trying.

Clint Boling, OG, Cincinnati Bengals

This has been the name that's been in the back of everybody's minds as they heard names like Iupati/Bulaga. He's not on the same level as those guys, but he's definitely a big upgrade from what Buffalo has at the other guard spot right now. He might get overpaid, though, with the other guys off the board early.

Jake Long, OT, St. Louis Rams

The Rams cut him and he's still rehabbing an injury, but he has the talent to still be an elite right tackle. He was once considered one of the best in the league. Is he still that? I'm not sure, but he probably won't get paid like one.

Willie Colon, OG, New York Jets

He'd be a minor upgrade at best, but the Rex connection is definitely there. He's a solid veteran who would likely only be a one-year deal to bridge the gap as younger guys develop.

Dan Connolly, OG, New England Patriots

He's appealing because of his versatility. He can give you average blocking at either guard or center. With Eric Wood's health always being a risk that might be valuable.

Other names to watch: Vladimir Ducasse (OG), Justin Blalock (OG)

DEFENSIVE LINE

They definitely have two pieces firmly in place with Kyle Williams and Marcell Dareus. They'll need one other piece.

Dan Williams, NT, Arizona Cardinals

If they want to have Dareus and Williams on the outside then he's a good fit. Took him some time to become a relevant NFL player, but he's a solid nose tackle in a league that doesn't have many left.

Vince Wilfork, NT, New England Patriots

This is highly unlikely, but see Dan Williams on this one. He's probably too old to have a major impact anymore, but he's still a very good tackle.

Leger Douzable, DE, New York Jets

This is one of the Rex connections that has been mentioned before. He's a good depth signing similar to that of Jarius Wynn last offseason.

Other names to watch: Ahtyba Rubin, Jabaal Sheard (OLB)

STRONG SAFETY

With Searcy on the way to Tennessee the Bills could give Duke Williams and crew a shot, but they could look for some competition.

Dawan Landry, SS, New York Jets

He's a very reliable veteran who has been a part of some tough defenses, including Rex Ryan's defenses from 2006-2008 in Baltimore and in New York the last two seasons.

Antrel Rolle, SS, New York Giants

There hasn't been any talk of this, but Rolle has been vocal about how much he likes Rex's defenses in the past. He's still a very good safety at 32. He can be a bit of a headcase sometimes, but he's a playmaker on the field.

Names to watch: Marcus Gilchrist, Nate Allen

PUNTER

They need to improve at this position. Schmidt's numbers looked good due to field position, but he isn't a good option. I expect it to be an UDFA.

Chris Jones, Dallas

Marquette King, Oakland

Mat McBrier, San Diego

Obviously they will look at other names and players at other positions, but these are some guys I think would make a lot of sense. Reports are that they're bringing in FB Jerome Felton.

Edited by Tank

Bulaga got a 5-year deal under $7M with the Packers. Would've paid that without a problem.

Justin Blalock is a name that I love as a bargain-bin type at guard, by the way. He's been one of the only good players on the Falcons offensive line for years now. He's suffered a bit due to poor play around him, but I think he would come somewhat cheap and be a good starter for a couple years. Him and Boling are the two that interest me the most.

The #Bills are looking to structure strongest possible offer sheet for #Dolphins TE Charles Clay. #Browns also interested.

Rapoport says this is a big priority for us. While I do think Clay is good, I hope we don't overpay here... If they're focusing strongly on him right now I would expect that means they plan to circle around on bargain players that are still available in a few days.

The #Bills are looking to structure strongest possible offer sheet for #Dolphins TE Charles Clay. #Browns also interested.

Rapoport says this is a big priority for us. While I do think Clay is good, I hope we don't overpay here... If they're focusing strongly on him right now I would expect that means they plan to circle around on bargain players that are still available in a few days.

My guess is, in contrast to many deals, they're going to want the cap hit to be higher this year than later on in order to take advantage of the bind Miami is in following the Suh deal. So I'd expect a semi-ridiculous roster bonus and first year salary/hit, but that to decline rapidly.

The OL won't be a problem.

@NatJordanNFL: The Bills are "heavy players" for Boling, per the guru with sources on http://t.co/tQsRX4D5yV

Take it FWIW, not sure it's too legit

This is from Bills' Mafia, nice piece on Roman's running philosophy and line play with TE included

Improving the Bills Under Greg Roman

In 2013, the Bills were a top five rushing unit, gaining 2,114 yards on 510 carries, but in 2014 a previous strength of the team became a weakness. Last year, the Bills averaged just 3.6 yards-per-carry on designed run plays, with much of the blame due to running a zone-based blocking scheme that wasn’t a natural fit for the offensive line personnel on the team.

Greg Roman will implement a gap, or man-blocking scheme, that will get the offensive linemen blocking vertically downfield, rather than horizontally, as a zone-scheme does. With massive, powerful athletes such as Cordy Glenn, Seantrel Henderson, Richie Incognito and youngsters in Cyrus Kouandjio and Cyril Richardson, the Bills are better suited for a scheme that allows them to come off the ball and hit someone, instead of moving laterally and “getting in the way” of a defender.

http://billsmafia.com/2015/02/25/breaking-buffalo-bills-oc-greg-romans-power-run-game/

The #Saints have called around, open to shopping many of their players, source say. One notable player included: TE Jimmy Graham. For real.

I realize their cap is a mess right now, but I simply can't imagine them trading Graham unless they're blowing the whole thing up. Sign me up if they do though!

I realize their cap is a mess right now, but I simply can't imagine them trading Graham unless they're blowing the whole thing up. Sign me up if they do though!

Could you imagine the Bills having a great player at every position except quarterback? Because this scenario is developing right now.

Could you imagine the Bills having a great player at every position except quarterback? Because this scenario is developing right now.

If you have a roster built like that, you become very attractive to the free agent QB class that will be available in the winter of 2016. IIRC that include Roethlisberger, Eli and a few others. One of those guys + this roster = super bowl contender.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.