GDT: Flames @ Sabres, 12/11/2014, 7:00 pm, MSG

LGR4GM

The Flames are playing some good hockey thus far in the season. Currently ranked 6th in the western conference and 3rd in the Pacific Division, they are 4 and 2 in their last 6 games. The 2 losses occurred in back to back games after they had a 4 game win streak. This will mark the first meeting between these two teams this season. Last season the Sabres dropped both games they played to the flames (2-1 OT and 3-1) with former Buffalo Sabre Paul Byron netting 2g and 1a in those games to lead Calagary's scoring. Chris Butler tied him in points with 3a. I get the impression those two guys wanted a little payback against their former team. This will mark the first time Zadorov has played against the Flames and only the 2nd time Ristolainen has played them. Zadorov and Ristolainen have been Buffalo's best defensive pairing over the last month and have helped stabilize a very young and/or questionable blue line.

Top Players Flames:

Mike Giordano - 7g, 22, +16

Jiri Hudler - 11g, 15a, +6

Sean Monahan - 10g, 9a, +7

Top Players Buffalo:

Tyler Ennis - 8g, 9a, -10

Drew Stafford - 5g, 9a, -11

Zemgus Girgensons - 8g, 6a, +3

Edited by LGR4GM

The Flames are what I expect/hope we are like next year.

This

I am as pro tank as anyone on this board, but after this season I want to start winning

The INSTANT the Sabres are locked into a 2015 top 2 pick, I NEVER want to see them lose another game. (Caveot: if a Sabres loss does absolutely nothing to their playoff positioning but it could result in a heart rending playoff miss by the Loafs, Phlyers, or B's or ideally all 3; I'd probably be ok w/ it.)

Team just tweeted:

Nolan: Quite a morning, had some weather issues. Told the guys to be safe, stay home if they can't make it in this AM. #CGYvsBUF

Am I being a cranky-pants for reacting to that with a "JFC, gimme a break -- errr-bahdy made it into work this morning."

Team just tweeted:

Nolan: Quite a morning, had some weather issues. Told the guys to be safe, stay home if they can't make it in this AM. #CGYvsBUF

Am I being a cranky-pants for reacting to that with a "JFC, gimme a break -- errr-bahdy made it into work this morning."

Code speak for, "Patty, you can take a day off."

Hodgson this game and Stewart last game as healthy scratches. When your $4 million "scorers" are getting scratched for guys like Mitchell and Flynn, they need a change of scenery.

Other teams do it without any trades to follow. It's providing motivation and rewarding the guys who are working.

Other teams do it without any trades to follow. It's providing motivation and rewarding the guys who are working.

I'm of the opinion that Murray would like to rid himself of Hodgson's long term contract (a "Darcy special") sooner rather than later. And, Stewart is definitely gone by the trade deadline. Getting healthy scratched just further reinforces that.

I'm of the opinion that Murray would like to rid himself of Hodgson's long term contract (a "Darcy special") sooner rather than later. And, Stewart is definitely gone by the trade deadline. Getting healthy scratched just further reinforces that.

The Sabres are going to have a helluva time finding someone to take Hodgson's contract off their hands.

IMO, Hodgson got rewarded--big pay day--and that's the problem, his motivation is gone.

I've been a Hodgson supporter in the past, but it's clear that he's just not a good fit here anymore with Nolan or in general. He has offensive talent but he needs to play with linemates who are both offensively gifted and defensively responsible to make up for his shortcomings and if we had a bunch of guys like that we wouldn't need Hodgson to drag down this mythical line of 2/3 awesome anyway.

Does he still hold any value at this point or does his contract essential give him negative value? Who could we feasibly trade him to?

The Sabres are going to have a helluva time finding someone to take Hodgson's contract off their hands.

GMTM should embarrass Darcy into getting Arizona to trade for him. Offer him for a minor leaguer or low round pick. Say that Darcy thought he was good enough for a big contract, let him put up now.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.