Zadorov?

pi2000

Don't draft the best hockey player available, draft the most organizationally convenient players.

No. Obviously top ten picks you go with best available because they have best chance to be on the team within a year or so anyhow. Perfect example is Girgs and Grigs. Or Risto and Zadaov for that matter. Both Grigo and Zadarov have to go back to junior the second year. The other two didn't. Who's growth do you think was accelerated?

Our pick you go with the obvious. I guess I should have clarified that. The NYI and St. Louis pick I want a guy who can be in Rochester year 2. Where those picks will be the talent is very equal. Hope that better explains it.

Edited by sicknfla

No. Obviously top ten picks you go with best available because they have best chance to be on the team within a year or so anyhow. Perfect example is Girgs and Grigs. Or Risto and Zadaov for that matter. Both Grigo and Zadarov have to go back to junior the second year. The other two didn't. Who's growth do you think was accelerated?

Our pick you go with the obvious. I guess I should have clarified that. The NYI and St. Louis pick I want a guy who can be in Rochester year 2. Where those picks will be the talent is very equal. Hope that better explains it.

I don't really understand how that would help us. Sabres should pick BPA every pick. We don't need the teenagers we pick now to be accelerated, we have enough talent in the pipeline as it is.

I don't really understand how that would help us. Sabres should pick BPA every pick. We don't need the teenagers we pick now to be accelerated, we have enough talent in the pipeline as it is.

Player A and player B are very similar in skill. Player A can go to Rochester his 2nd year. Player B has to spend a 2nd year in junior. Which player do you feel will develop quicker? I want the guy who can go to Rochester.

If what has happened with Grigo and Zadarov isn't enough verification of that I don't know what more i can say.

Player A and player B are very similar in skill. Player A can go to Rochester his 2nd year. Player B has to spend a 2nd year in junior. Which player do you feel will develop quicker? I want the guy who can go to Rochester.

If what has happened with Grigo and Zadarov isn't enough verification of that I don't know what more i can say.

How often are players identical and the only differentiating factor is if they can get to the AHL in one year or two? You're trying to make a rule based on a rarity, which typically isn't the best.

How often are players identical and the only differentiating factor is if they can get to the AHL in one year or two? You're trying to make a rule based on a rarity, which typically isn't the best.

Who said I am trying to make ut a rule? Given my choice i bypass the guy that has to spend 2 years in juniors. Player rankings go out the window the day after the draft anyhow. Again, just look at Girgs and Grigs for further proof.

From Damien Cox today:

"The peculiar situation in which former first round pick Nikita Zadorov finds himself with the Buffalo Sabres could be resolved this week. Or maybe not. Zadorov has played one game this season, Friday against L.A., and the Sabres would like to send him back to the London Knights of the OHL.

The 6-foot-6 blueliner, however, would prefer to join Sergei Fedorov’s CSKA Moscow squad where he can play against men and make a good salary, probably around $400,000 per season. Zadorov actually has to sign a transfer agreement to go back to London even though he has a contract with the Knights, so he theoretically controls his fate. His agent, Rollie Hedges, is trying to find a way to make all parties happy, no easy task."

He's making $894,000 here do it can't just be about money

Who said I am trying to make ut a rule? Given my choice i bypass the guy that has to spend 2 years in juniors. Player rankings go out the window the day after the draft anyhow. Again, just look at Girgs and Grigs for further proof.

I follow. A consideration, ceteris paribus.

He's really forcing the issue. I understand and he has a right to be upset about having to go back to Junior. Can he play in the AHL yet? There has to be a way to not lose him to the KHL. God, sometimes this stuff enfuriates me. Not ready for the NHL yet, but definitely too good for Junior.

Zadorov’s agent, Rolland Hedges, would like his client to play at home in Russia’s Kontinental Hockey League, where St. Petersburg possesses his rights. The NHL, however, says Zadorov can play only for the Sabres or in the Canadian Hockey League. The defenseman and his KHL team may not sign off on a transfer to juniors.

“Is that part of the reason he’s here? Yes,” Murray said on his radio show on WGR-AM 550. “The only option if we don’t want him here is to send him to London. If we do that, does it become a long, drawn-out affair or is it a cut-and-dry thing? We’re not sure about that.

“If he decides not to go or the transfer agreement is not signed by the KHL team and him, I’m sure that the CHL will say, ‘He’s our property,’ and then there’s going to have to be some type of agreement come to between the KHL and the CHL. I’m sure that the CHL will involve the International Ice Hockey Federation in that.”

Murray has expressed frustration about Zadorov’s situation and Buffalo’s lack of control over it. So, the situation is as murky as ever.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2014/11/03/back-to-junior-decisions-looming-for-lazar-zadorov-and-others/

Just keep the big kid up, continue his intense training regimen, and play him a few times in each 10 game segment if you feel the game is still too much for him. He's gaining benefits from being at this level that he can't get in juniors. Yes, playing time is important, but that benefit is outweighed by the drawback of losing control over his development to the KHL.

GO SABRES!!!

Just keep the big kid up, continue his intense training regimen, and play him a few times in each 10 game segment if you feel the game is still too much for him. He's gaining benefits from being at this level that he can't get in juniors. Yes, playing time is important, but that benefit is outweighed by the drawback of losing control over his development to the KHL.

GO SABRES!!!

Right. I want him learning the NHL game, regardless of whether he's just watching or actually playing. I don't want to have to have him un-learn things he picks up playing in the KHL.

Right. I want him learning the NHL game, regardless of whether he's just watching or actually playing. I don't want to have to have him un-learn things he picks up playing in the KHL.

That's fine by me, but they need to keep playing him. Even if he only plays 9 games his contract isn't going to slide if he's on the roster for a certain number of games if I remember that correctly. I'm ok with letting him watch from the press box from time to time, but playing him only twice in 13 games isn't going to cut it. I guess maybe they are just trying to buy time but the clock is ticking.

Edited by Drunkard

That's fine by me, but they need to keep playing him. Even if he only play 9 games his contract isn't going to slide if he's on the roster for a certain number of games if I remember that correctly. I'm ok with letting him watch from the press box from time to time, but playing him only twice in 13 games isn't going to cut it. I guess maybe they are just trying to buy time but the clock is ticking.

I think we're going to start seeing more of him. I think, by all accounts, they wanted to get him up to what they feel are NHL levels of fitness before they sent him back to the CHL. But if he's not going back, then they're just going to work on his fitness more.

If they have to keep him here I suspect they'll just take even more time to work on his fitness and that he'll start seeing more games if he's close to where they want him. That'll let him compete for a roster spot that he might not have earned coming out of camp.

This whole fiasco might actually be a blessing in disguise for Nikita. He probably has a better shot of making the team now than he did a month ago.

Wish I could find the details right now.. but I can't.

In the NHL, there are two important deadlines for players like Zadarov. The 10 game mark we are very familiar with and then the year of service qualification which dictates when he'd be eligible for UFA status. Even if he's not playing I am pretty sure he still counts towards those games and so if the Sabres keep him up and scratched he is eligible for UFA status a year earlier than if they send him back right?

That said, do games in the KHL count as professional service as well?

Wish I could find the details right now.. but I can't.

In the NHL, there are two important deadlines for players like Zadarov. The 10 game mark we are very familiar with and then the year of service qualification which dictates when he'd be eligible for UFA status. Even if he's not playing I am pretty sure he still counts towards those games and so if the Sabres keep him up and scratched he is eligible for UFA status a year earlier than if they send him back right?

That said, do games in the KHL count as professional service as well?

The second deadline is somewhere in the mid 20's game mark. I seem to recall 23 games, but I am not certain. If he is on the roster that long we have used a year of his service.

Wait, were they trying to loan him to the KHL?

Probably more of a case of seeing what the options are. If they talked to the KHL and they weren't particularly interested in him, it might grease the skids to moving him to the OHL. Even if the Sabres don't feel that's a likely scenario, you have to do your due diligence.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.