Trade speculation 2014-15

Hoss

I copied this from my post in another thread. Many long time fans have some good memories.

I'm tired of words like mediocre used to describe the franchise, I had to find something positive. 40 years of cheering for this team has had some good times.

The ultimate prize is the Stanley Cup and we haven't done it. However we have won a lot of games. I looked at franchise all time win percentages and we have a good record. The only teams with better all time records than the Sabres are Montreal, Philadelphia and Boston. That's it!

While I would trade our .555 record for New Jersey's 3 cups and below .500 record, it is still something.

Other Stanley Cup winners with sub .500 records are: Chicago, Los Angeles, Tampa Bay and Carolina.

We have had some good teams but just couldn't seal the deal. Let's hope this will happen in the near future, and all of this suffering will be forgotten.

Thank you for posting something encouraging. Now I must duck to avoid the onslaught for supporting positive thoughts on this message board. But keep your chin up.

Keep an open mind.  Colorado won the Cup with its inherited bounty from the Lindros trade.  Filly didn't.

Avs didn't win it all until Moe-ray-all gave them St Patrick on a platter. Yeah, the Avs could have beat the Cats w/ an AHLer in net; but they never get to that series w/out him. Roy was at least as important to Avs Cups as the Lindros bounty was.

Avs didn't win it all until Moe-ray-all gave them St Patrick on a platter. Yeah, the Avs could have beat the Cats w/ an AHLer in net; but they never get to that series w/out him. Roy was at least as important to Avs Cups as the Lindros bounty was.

Understood.  How did Filly do with the generational talent?

Keep an open mind is ALL I'm saying, BTW.  This is not "trade the pick" advocacy.

What if Eichel pulls a Lindros and says he'll return to college if Buffalo selects him?    It's not out of the realm of possibility.   His family being huge Bruins fans, maybe he wants to stay in Boston.... and then GMTM has a long conversation with Jeremy Jacobs over a couple of Ribeye's at Olivers (i used to work there and saw a lot of JJ).     Would you trade that pick for some kind of combination of picks, prospects, Rask, Pastrnak, and Hamilton?

I'll add a little more to this than had already been stated yesterday. Nothing Eichel has done to this point indicates that he cares about his fanship one bit. He was a BC fan his whole life, but he wound up going to BU, their huge rival just down the street. He went there even after the coach who recruited him retired before he even got on campus. There is zero indication that he would try to pull any games. On top of that, if he does try to do something like that, he's stuck waiting four years to do it. That's a whole hell of a lot of lost income just so he can play where he wants. And on top of that, once those four years are up, he'd still be stuck in a much cheaper entry level deal for a year or two more. These ideas don't fly in today's NHL for the top draft picks because there is very little incentive to do so. It hurts them far more than it helps.

And to add to what Shrader said, if he signs with Buffalo this summer and gets injured, he gets his money.  Those contracts are insured.  If he doesn't and around at college and gets injured, he gets nothing.  It would be like if Jamies Winston went back to FSU next year, it would be stupid because he could get injured and ruin his career or he could make millions of guaranteed money.

And to add to what Shrader said, if he signs with Buffalo this summer and gets injured, he gets his money.  Those contracts are insured.  If he doesn't and ###### around at college and gets injured, he gets nothing.  It would be like if Jamies Winston went back to FSU next year, it would be stupid because he could get injured and ruin his career or he could make millions of guaranteed money.

They do have insurance policies in football for top tier guys like Winston, and from what I've heard, the NCAA actually allows the school to pay for them. I'm not sure if the insurance companies cover the hockey players or not though. If they do, the money concern might not be as big as you'd think.

They do have insurance policies in football for top tier guys like Winston, and from what I've heard, the NCAA actually allows the school to pay for them. I'm not sure if the insurance companies cover the hockey players or not though. If they do, the money concern might not be as big as you'd think.

True, I bet he would lose a ton of cash though compared to getting injured in the NHL. Insurance I have to guess would be less than his entry level deal.

Understood. How did Filly do with the generational talent?

Keep an open mind is ALL I'm saying, BTW. This is not "trade the pick" advocacy.

I understand that Philly didn't win a Cup, but they did have a pretty long run of overall success. Plus I don't think it's Lindros' fault that, to paraphrase you, their goaltending hit a wall in the 80s.

Mantha?

Couldn't say.  Just that the Sabres scouts have been at a bunch of recent AHL games.  Mantha is the obvious but I feel they should know who and what he is.  Honestly, trading for Mantha is smart.  He would be the perfect winger for Reinhart. 

Couldn't say.  Just that the Sabres scouts have been at a bunch of recent AHL games.  Mantha is the obvious but I feel they should know who and what he is.  Honestly, trading for Mantha is smart.  He would be the perfect winger for Reinhart. 

The obviously know a great deal about him but you can always learn more. Watching him play in a league of men seeing how he deals with game issues. Does he sulk when his team is losing? Does he shy away from the other teams tough guy? Is he the first to stick up for teammates? What is his play like away from the puck? Tons to learn.I'm tickled this may come to fruition.

Elliot Friedman says the Sabres are scouting the RedWings AHL team a lot recently.

I wish they'd stop reporting this stuff. News flash, they're scouting everyone. These reports of who is scouting who get very heavy at this time of year and they almost always lead to absolutely nothing. If a guy like Mantha really is a target, you better believe that the team knows just about everything about him at this point.

I wish they'd stop reporting this stuff. News flash, they're scouting everyone. These reports of who is scouting who get very heavy at this time of year and they almost always lead to absolutely nothing. If a guy like Mantha really is a target, you better believe that the team knows just about everything about him at this point.

There are a normal set of scouts at every game. What notable is when a team sends a larger contingent or guys that normally aren't there to multiple games.

Prospects or no prospects this team has NEVER been further away from a Cup than we are right now.

Do you mean the orgainization as a whole or do you mean the current Sabres line-up?

If you mean the organization as a whole I will have to repectfully disagree - once Miller was run over and not one player had an ounce of care - that team was never ever ever going to win a cup. The Sabres also didn`t have the top prospect pool in the entire league as they do now.

Do you mean the orgainization as a whole or do you mean the current Sabres line-up?

If you mean the organization as a whole I will have to repectfully disagree - once Miller was run over and not one player had an ounce of care - that team was never ever ever going to win a cup. The Sabres also didn`t have the top prospect pool in the entire league as they do now.

As an organization I do not feel we have ever been further from a Cup. We have maybe 6-8 current players that are legit NHL players. We have maybe 5 in Rochester that have a possible NHL career. We then have a prospect pool that is deep but not exactly littered with sure things. So I stand by my statement.

Even the team that was on the ice fir the Miller incident was closer. They could have made some moves to get rid of the cancerous players and replace them with established players. They could have fired DR at that time and let a qualified GM take over.

They could have done numerous things besides what they have done to reach this pathetic level.

As an organization I do not feel we have ever been further from a Cup. We have maybe 6-8 current players that are legit NHL players. We have maybe 5 in Rochester that have a possible NHL career. We then have a prospect pool that is deep but not exactly littered with sure things. So I stand by my statement.

Even the team that was on the ice fir the Miller incident was closer. They could have made some moves to get rid of the cancerous players and replace them with established players. They could have fired DR at that time and let a qualified GM take over.

They could have done numerous things besides what they have done to reach this pathetic level.

You are incorrect. 

The day the Sabres were formed and played their first game is the furthest they've ever been from winning a Stanley Cup.

You still arent' getting elite talent back for guys like Vanek, Pommer, Gaustad and everyone else.

I will stand by my statement I made the other day - I would trade all those "cancerous" players for Connor McDavid or Jack Eichel.

I Just came back from lunch after listening to Sportsnet Hockey Central here in Toronto. They had a 5 minute segment on the Sabres and the 3 commentators agreed that in a couple of years a line-up that featured Girgensons, Reinhart and McDavid / Eichel down the middle will be the envy of every other team in the league.

They also spoke about about how timing is everything when it comes to the draft. How different the Oilers would have been if they finished last the year Stamkos and Toews instead of getting RNH.

You still arent' getting elite talent back for guys like Vanek, Pommer, Gaustad and everyone else.

I will stand by my statement I made the other day - I would trade all those "cancerous" players for Connor McDavid or Jack Eichel.

I Just came back from lunch after listening to Sportsnet Hockey Central here in Toronto. They had a 5 minute segment on the Sabres and the 3 commentators agreed that in a couple of years a line-up that featured Girgensons, Reinhart and McDavid / Eichel down the middle will be the envy of every other team in the league.

They also spoke about about how timing is everything when it comes to the draft. How different the Oilers would have been if they finished last the year Stamkos and Toews instead of getting RNH.

inferring that the Sabres have "timed" the tank to perfection.

I will be more than happy if we get McDavid or Eichel in this draft. I think both of these players are so close it's a win win any way you look at it. What I want Murray to do is try to move back into the top ten and land another solid player. This Marner kid might be a sleeper in this draft. Kid is putting up numbers every game.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.