Trade speculation 2014-15

Hoss

As an organization I do not feel we have ever been further from a Cup. We have maybe 6-8 current players that are legit NHL players. We have maybe 5 in Rochester that have a possible NHL career. We then have a prospect pool that is deep but not exactly littered with sure things. So I stand by my statement.

Even the team that was on the ice fir the Miller incident was closer. They could have made some moves to get rid of the cancerous players and replace them with established players. They could have fired DR at that time and let a qualified GM take over.

They could have done numerous things besides what they have done to reach this pathetic level.

This.

I will be more than happy if we get McDavid or Eichel in this draft. I think both of these players are so close it's a win win any way you look at it. What I want Murray to do is try to move back into the top ten and land another solid player. This Marner kid might be a sleeper in this draft. Kid is putting up numbers every game.

I think Marner goes 3rd, unless it's Edmonton picking 3rd

You are incorrect. 

The day the Sabres were formed and played their first game is the furthest they've ever been from winning a Stanley Cup.

I think that day was probably the day Golisano let Briere and Drury walk for no reason and Darcy decided the remaining core would be good enough with a few tweaks.

That started four years of stagnation that morphed into the tank.

We failed to replenish the pipeline, squandered picks on mediocre veterans, ignored the centre ice position and failed to move any significant players in order to improve the team.

Every other era of Sabres hockey, even now, we have either been moving forward with a plan, or re-setting the previous failed plan.
Post black Sunday is the only era where we said mediocre was good enough.

Today is an absolute joke on the ice, but at least it is a calculated gamble that has acquired numerous assets.
Sit still and you die.
Edited by dudacek

As an organization I do not feel we have ever been further from a Cup. We have maybe 6-8 current players that are legit NHL players. We have maybe 5 in Rochester that have a possible NHL career. We then have a prospect pool that is deep but not exactly littered with sure things. So I stand by my statement.

Even the team that was on the ice fir the Miller incident was closer. They could have made some moves to get rid of the cancerous players and replace them with established players. They could have fired DR at that time and let a qualified GM take over.

They could have done numerous things besides what they have done to reach this pathetic level.

And I still believe this was the reason why LaFontaine left. I think Pegula, Black were so sold on the Penguins model that they wanted a complete rebuild.

I think that day was probably the day Golisano let Briere and Drury walk for no reason and Darcy decided the remaining core would be good enough with a few tweaks.

That started four years of stagnation that morphed into the tank.

We failed to replenish the pipeline, squandered picks on mediocre veterans, ignored the centre ice position and failed to move any significant players in order to improve the team.

Every other era of Sabres hockey, even now, we have either been moving forward with a plan, or re-setting the previous failed plan.

Post black Sunday is the only era where we said mediocre was good enough.

Today is an absolute joke on the ice, but at least it is a calculated gamble that has acquired numerous assets.

Sit still and you die.

I agree but I'm excited to see how they can turn it around. Having McDavid or Eichel is a start to having a solid first line. Plus want to see what Murray has in store with all these UFA's. Just hope he doesn't do another Ehrhoff move. I still think he could of kept him and moved him later on and at least got something for him.

For what its worth in an unofficial poll on sport1040 out of Vancouver, Canucks fans voted that the Sabres are closer to a cup than the Canucks and/or will win one first.

I copied this from my post in another thread. Many long time fans have some good memories.

I'm tired of words like mediocre used to describe the franchise, I had to find something positive. 40 years of cheering for this team has had some good times.

The ultimate prize is the Stanley Cup and we haven't done it. However we have won a lot of games. I looked at franchise all time win percentages and we have a good record. The only teams with better all time records than the Sabres are Montreal, Philadelphia and Boston. That's it!

While I would trade our .555 record for New Jersey's 3 cups and below .500 record, it is still something.

Other Stanley Cup winners with sub .500 records are: Chicago, Los Angeles, Tampa Bay and Carolina.

We have had some good teams but just couldn't seal the deal. Let's hope this will happen in the near future, and all of this suffering will be forgotten.

So many people don't realize the win percentage over the years, how successful the Sabers have actually been. But, I'm the opposite of you. In this day and age where the hottest teams entering the playoffs are having more and more success, I'd rather have the 555 team to entertain me year in and year out instead of blowing it all on a Cup. Because a 555 team entering the playoffs on a hot streak has just as much chance to win a Cup as the #1 team. 

Canucks are stuck in no-mans land right in the middle of the NHL standings. is there anyone who wouldn't agree Sabres are closer?

It depends. Do they have a GM like Darcy who thinks everything is fine and isn't going to make any changes, or do they have a GM that knows their shortcomings and will try to improve the team?

there 

It depends. Do they have a GM like Darcy who thinks everything is fine and isn't going to make any changes, or do they have a GM that knows their shortcomings and will try to improve the team?

their shortcoming is that they don't have the elite talent that it takes to win the cup. their problem is that no one on their current roster is worth another team trading said talent to them. Stuck in the middle - no mans land - a fate worst than death.

but dont worry about their fans - they probably have the talent to play .550 hockey and make the playoffs once every two or three years and maybe just maybe they can spoil their fans by winning a round at some point.

Edited by Crusader1969

So many people don't realize the win percentage over the years, how successful the Sabers have actually been. But, I'm the opposite of you. In this day and age where the hottest teams entering the playoffs are having more and more success, I'd rather have the 555 team to entertain me year in and year out instead of blowing it all on a Cup. Because a 555 team entering the playoffs on a hot streak has just as much chance to win a Cup as the #1 team.

Exactly.

you mean by having a GM that will be smart enough to trade away his vets for prospects and draft picks? i think that may work but I think the Sabres would be 3years ahead still.

Canucks are stuck in no-mans land right in the middle of the NHL standings. is there anyone who wouldn't agree Sabres are closer?

I don't agree. If they could mortgage the future for a talented top six player and a gritty forward who can contribute offensively (hometown boy Lucic) they are contenders. You add that to us and we're still a ways off. Realistically, though, that won't happen for them which is what a lot of people are probably thinking.

In a few years we just need to be in the mix as a top Eastern Conference team to get into the finals and then watch the fans go bananas.

We don't need to be first overall, just solid.

Developing a solid core and keeping it together for awhile can lead to some memorable playoff runs and maybe cop a cup.

Generally support Crusader on this one.

Other than Hamhuis, the Canucks best players are on the wrong side of their careers.

Trading the likes of Horvat and Virtanen away for futures won't bring in enough to push the core to contender status.

That said, Virtanen/McCann/Horvat/Shinkaruk/Demko could theoretically equal or surpass Reinhart/Risto/Zadorov/Grigorenko/Girgensons and they got all that without becoming a mockery of a hockey team.

Yes, we have a far deeper prospect pool which increases our chances of generating more real NHLers and/or surprise impact players, but who's to say they don't hit on a Lucic or Bergeron with their next second rounder, while we walk away with three Mike Zigomanis?

I only give the Sabres two advantages:

1) the Canucks have an investment tied up in the declining Sedins that likely preclude them making any significant additions through trades or free agents

2) the Canucks didn't punch a ticket for McEichel.

And that could make a big difference.

Edited by dudacek

Generally support Crusader on this one.

Other than Hamhuis, the Canucks best players are on the wrong side of their careers.

Trading the likes of Horvat and Virtanen away for futures won't bring in enough to push the core to contender status.

That said, Virtanen/McCann/Horvat/Shinkaruk/Demko could theoretically equal or surpass Reinhart/Risto/Zadorov/Grigorenko/Girgensons and they got all that without becoming a mockery of a hockey team.

Yes, we have a far deeper prospect pool which increases our chances of generating more real NHLers and/or surprise impact players, but who's to say they don't hit on a Lucic or Bergeron with their next second rounder, while we walk away with three Mike Zigomanis?

I only give the Sabres two advantages:

1) the Canucks have an investment tied up in the declining Sedins that likely preclude them making any significant additions through trades or free agents

2) the Canucks didn't punch a ticket for McEichel.

And that could make a big difference.

I agree with most of this, and I would add that they don't have a prospect who can lick Reinhart's jock. They're better now and probably next year, but once the wheels fall off the Sedins, they really don't have anyone to lug the mail.

Correct.

In the 1999 playoffs a 7th seed rode a great goalie and hard work all the way to the finals.

Of course, they were gypped out of the cup in the end.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.