Trade speculation 2014-15

Hoss

More on Myers from GMTM himself

http://prohockeytalk...says-sabres-gm/

Thanks for the link Brawndo, found this quote interesting

“Some teams have asked about availability,” he said. “I’ve plainly said, ‘I’m not trying to trade the guy, if you want to knock my socks off with an offer I’ll listen,’ but it would have to be a major, major trade for me to move this guy

He is signed through 17-18. Next year we will be a bottom 10 team. The following year MAYBE competing for a playoff spot. The 3rd year (his final year) IF all goes well we should be a solid top 10 team. Then he is a FA. If he is as good as Murray says then we will be giving him huge money or he may decide to go elsewhere.

My opinion - this team is so far in the shitter that we can't hold on to an asset like Myers for what MAY BE in 2-3 years. We need more offensive talent - period. We can prospect dream all day but their isn't crap in Rochester and regardless of what people want to believe you can't mortgage your future on a bunch of guys in juniors.

More insight from GMTM

http://www.nhl.com/i...s.htm?id=748304

Eyes dead set on the Shart!

Did anything about your feelings on the Sabres this season change when they won 10 out of 13 games?

"No. I think that we played well. I think that we played hard. But the analytics were basically all the same. Our shooting percentage got higher in those wins. I don't want to think completely on that, but the numbers were pretty close to the same as when we lost other than save percentage and shooting percentage.

I never understood the "Myers is not a GMTM kind of player" chatter that got play here. Murray was very vocal about his preference for big puck moving defensemen. Myers is that in spades.

The only way I would want Myers to be traded (unless someone does give him an offer he can't refuse) is if the Sabres get the 3rd pick overall and they believe Hanifin is the best option.

What is Murray supposed to say though? IMO, he made it be known last year at the deadline that Myers was available for the right offer. Those rumors persisted during the draft. They have been flying around all season. Murray has probably overvalued Myers a little bit from what he was expecting. Now he is trying to pump Myers back up with his rhetoric.

I just don't see Murray being the kind of GM to heap praise on a guy without an agenda. Seems to stiff to me for that.

Murray is still in the honeymoon phase. We wanted DR out of here so bad it didn't matter who we hired. As far as I am concerned that honeymoon is over. He has a free pass to be the worse team in hockey. That pass expires on draft day. He better have a damn plan because he has A LOT of work ahead of him.

Yep completely agree with that assessment sick. Darcy started tearing this thing down before Tim arrived and he has until June to finish this out. He still has a ton of work ahead of him. I'm liking that he's already looking to the future by making that trade with LA at last years deadline. At the time I think many of us questioned why we gave up two 2nd for a guy picked in what the fifth round of the prior years draft. Fasching looks like he may be a player though. We need Tim to be very active over the next two years.

What is Murray supposed to say though? IMO, he made it be known last year at the deadline that Myers was available for the right offer. Those rumors persisted during the draft. They have been flying around all season. Murray has probably overvalued Myers a little bit from what he was expecting. Now he is trying to pump Myers back up with his rhetoric.

I just don't see Murray being the kind of GM to heap praise on a guy without an agenda. Seems to stiff to me for that.

Murray is still in the honeymoon phase. We wanted DR out of here so bad it didn't matter who we hired. As far as I am concerned that honeymoon is over. He has a free pass to be the worse team in hockey. That pass expires on draft day. He better have a damn plan because he has A LOT of work ahead of him.

This is exactly it. Whether he wants to trade him or wants to keep him, he has to say the same thing.

His quote about Myers (NHL.com article) was an accurate assessment of the player. Good in the defensive zone because of his reach. Good skater. His size is a big asset. But, nowhere did he praise his offensive game, which is exactly where I am at with Myers. I'm of the opinion that Big Tyler is more of a defensive lock down guy (and great penalty killer because of his reach) than a true "2-way" defender.

Murray said he hasn't called anyone about Myers. How could that be a smokescreen to other GMs? They know if he has called them or not, so how is that fact he said driving up the cost?

Anyone explain what I'm missing haha?

He might not have called all the GMs. I guess it'd depend on how much the various GMs talk about such things. I can't really imagine GMs tipping each other on trades they're talking to other teams about.

Murray said he hasn't called anyone about Myers. How could that be a smokescreen to other GMs? They know if he has called them or not, so how is that fact he said driving up the cost?

Anyone explain what I'm missing haha?

When he is directly quoted saying stuff like this he doesn't need to call anyone. He just told 30 GM'S I am willing to listen without having to pick up the phone. Then through the media he trys telling everyone how valuable Myers is. If I am another GM I look at this as an inexperienced move on Murray's part.

Myers rumors have floated for a year. This is the first time he has spoken up on Myers behalf. Pretty easy to see what he is doing.

I'm with the pixelated guy.

Murray made it known anyone was available for the right offer. Myers was never singled out.

He said flat out he hasn't offered Myers to anyone.

Pretty hard to get a bidding war going if you aren't soliciting offers.

Here's how I see the rumours:

Fans of other teams see Myers as a talented guy they can steal because Buffalo is "selling off guys" and Myers has "regressed". So they speculate.

Some Sabre fans see Myers is a guy who will never meet his potential so they hope they can sell him off at an inflated price before the rest of the league realizes what a stiff he is. So they speculate.

Detroit desperately needs a defenceman like Myers. They've called but they aren't willing to pay the price. Dreger reports that.

A few other GMs hear the speculatation. They kick the tires and realize that Murray really doesn't want to sell, at least not at fair prices.

Thats all there is to see here.

Everything else is just the Internet.

Edited by dudacek

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.