Trade speculation 2014-15

Hoss

I am not sure at 3 there is unanimous belief that Hanafin is the best. He's definitely top of the defense and top 5 but I can't say anymore he is definitely the #3 pick.

Totally agree - 3rd will be up for debate as we get closer to the draft. I would also think that Kylington has dropped out of top 10 ranking. Passed by Werenski and maybe even Provorov who could go anywhere from 5 to 10 at this point.

I agree we wouldn't have to trade Myers. I just took exception to a thought another team would have a better young D core if we end up with Hannifan after the draft. I don't know if I want Hannifan at 3 or not. It all depends on if Marner can keep this pace the rest of the way and how Strome looks in the playoffs.

Exactly.

With Hanafin our defense would be:

Hanafin - Myers

Zadorov - Ristolainen

Gorges - Pysyk

I couldn't name a better group of young defenders and Nashville is the only place that is in that ballpark.

Murray won't move Reinhart. He'll move Grigorenko. Marner is the winger Reinhart deserves.

Marner isn't the hero we deserve, he's the hero we need right now.

He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector, a Dark Knight.

(Gary Oldman would be a sweet GM. Imagine that at the podium on draft night.)

If it was for the McDavid and Eichel factor I would hate to see Myers moved before we know how the draft unfolds.

That being said - this team is clearly worse off without him in the line-up and if Murray can get a good prospect for him it may be worth it as the odds of the Sabres coming in last will significantly increase without Myers.

Maybe another option is to trade Enroth for anything you can get - Call up Hackett and ride him for the remainder of the season. This may allow the Sabres to still come in last and keep Myers.

Edited by Crusader1969

Exactly.

With Hanafin our defense would be:

Hanafin - Myers

Zadorov - Ristolainen

Gorges - Pysyk

I couldn't name a better group of young defenders and Nashville is the only place that is in that ballpark.

Nashville's defense is the best 1 through 7 in the league IMHO and a big reason the team is at/near the top of the NHL standings. With the exception of Volchenkov (who is the 6th/7th d-man) every one of the Preds d-men can skate, pass, and shoot. Those guys make the offensive transition game work. I think the league is moving to 5 interchangeable parts on the ice where defensemen can score and forwards can defend. This is the Sabres challenge as I see it. We need more skilled guys in the back. Risto and Zadorov are a good start in that regard, but I like the idea of taking a puck moving d-man in the draft if we don't get one of the first two picks.

no matter what happens - as a Sabres fan the next 6 months will be extremely stressful and fun at the same time.

Hell, the next two games vs NJ and Carolina will be as stressful as any game since the Canes - Sabres game 7 back in 2006.

Hopefully we don't see Myers play in either.

And it all comes down to an injured defenseman again.

no matter what happens - as a Sabres fan the next 6 months will be extremely stressful and fun at the same time.

Hell, the next two games vs NJ and Carolina will be as stressful as any game since the Canes - Sabres game 7 back in 2006.

Hopefully we don't see Myers play in either.

LOL this is bizarro world!

Edited by beerme1

Per espn: Jermey Jacobs is pretty angry with the team's performance, and says missing a playoff spot is unacceptable. Espn reporters claiming there's pressure on Chiarelli and Julien to make a move, and they're suspecting Lucic could be traded.

I was catching up on games yesterday, and about halfway through the Boston one was the first time I recall Lucic's name mentioned. I think that guy is lost.

After his performance in the WJC, Reinhart's value has to be pretty high right now. Is Reinhart getting close to "untouchable" status? If Edmonton ended up with the #1 overall pick (and the Sabres end up with around the 4th or 5th pick) and they called the Sabres looking for Reinhart and Myers to swap #1 picks, how would most feel about this? IMO, I wouldn't make that deal.

Murray won't move Reinhart. He'll move Grigorenko. Marner is the winger Reinhart deserves.

Defenders can slide is all I am saying.

Does Grigorenko have any real value at this point? Maybe as a throw in third piece in a trade, you're not structuring a trade around Grigorenko. Reinhart, IMO, has the value to be a centerpiece in trade.

Per espn: Jermey Jacobs is pretty angry with the team's performance, and says missing a playoff spot is unacceptable. Espn reporters claiming there's pressure on Chiarelli and Julien to make a move, and they're suspecting Lucic could be traded.

If I'm the GM of the Ducks or Blackhawks I'm all over Boston and Lucic making a deal happen. I'm also checking in with the Leafs to see how big of a shakeup are they planning and see if I can pry Kessel away.

After his performance in the WJC, Reinhart's value has to be pretty high right now. Is Reinhart getting close to "untouchable" status? If Edmonton ended up with the #1 overall pick (and the Sabres end up with around the 4th or 5th pick) and they called the Sabres looking for Reinhart and Myers to swap #1 picks, how would most feel about this? IMO, I wouldn't make that deal.

I would, but I doubt EDM would make the deal. Reinhart is going to be a great player for the Sabres for many years, but McDavid's abilities are unmatched for his generation

Edited by BRAWNDO

I would, but I doubt EDM would make the deal. Reinhart is going to be a great player for the Sabres for many years, but McDavid's abilities are unmatched for his generation

If Edmonton thinks Myers can be a top pair defenseman I think the Oilers would definitely make that deal.

How pissed would all Sabres fans be, tank and non-tank alike, if we spent two seasons successfully tanking and then traded the holy grail away? Exactly. The same would be true for every other team. It ain't happening.

Edmonton as spent the last 5 tanking though, the fans *might* bite on 2-3 prospects that might get them to .500 next season.

Does Grigorenko have any real value at this point? Maybe as a throw in third piece in a trade, you're not structuring a trade around Grigorenko. Reinhart, IMO, has the value to be a centerpiece in trade.

You are correct Grigorenko is not the center of a deal and would be a piece of one. Reinhart has more value but Tim Murray's first ever draft choice isn't getting moved. Murray wants Reinhart to succeed in Buffalo for him.

Edmonton as spent the last 5 tanking though, the fans *might* bite on 2-3 prospects that might get them to .500 next season.

You mean like McDavid, Nurse, and Draisaitl?

I disagree. From what I saw during the IIHF, Hanifin wasn't better than Jones or Ekblad prior to their draft years.

I think he was close or at their level but he did nothing that made me feel he was superior to Jones or Ekblad.

The Oilers weren't "tanking." With the talent they have they expect to be a playoff team. They need NHL bodies.

I wouldn't say they expect to be a playoff team, but they certainly don't expect to be in the basement. Their recent moves will certainly help... gone are some of the 1-way offenvise players (Perron, Arcobello, Draisaitl), replaced with some decent 2-way NHL veterans (Roy, Klinkhammer, Fraser). This will help cut back on their goals against, which was their biggest problem. It seems to be helping already. This gives them better matchups against opposing teams top lines and allows the Hall line to wheel and deal.

The Oilers weren't tanking but McDavid is lauded as the next Crosby plus. He won't get traded. The only slightest chance that #1 overall gets traded is to the team who owns the #2 pick and even then it is very unlikely. As was said before, can you envision Buffalo trading the pick if we have it? Sure we haven't been as bad as the Oilers over the past five years but we've been far from adequate over that same period. Atleast the future is brighter here.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.