Trade speculation 2014-15

Hoss

It'll be an interesting deal to watch. I'm still not moving any of Zemgus, Zadorov, Risto, Reinhart or our 2015 first unless we are getting a star back.

I think this is a deal that would have to include Ennis since we don't have key young pieces otherwise. Wonder if Ennis, Pysyk, 2015 first (later) and another pick or mid-level prospect like Hurley/Larsson/Carrier get it done.

That's a bit overpayment, IMO, especially with O'Reilly only having one year left on his contract and being on pace for 43 points this year (Ennis is on pace for 46).  Ennis and Pysyk/1st or Pysyk plus picks is more up my alley.  And I'm not even that hot on moving Ennis to begin with, but since we're blowin' it all up anyways, it's fine.

Just going to restate one of the craziest statistics I can ever remember:

Ryan O'Reilly, in 2013-14, had just two penalty minutes all year (for carrying a broken stick on the ice)... Might be thinking "because he's soft blah blah" but he also led the entire league in takeaways. He had 83 and the next-closest player was Eric Staal with 77. Staal had 74 PIMs compared to O'Reilly's 2...

O'Reilly also leads the NHL in takeaways this season by 10. He had 68 and the next closest is John Tavares with 58...

Tank, you can typically get TSN's trade center coverage streamed through their website. Sometimes it may be blocked since you're not in Canada. I've never quite figured out why it does that some years and not others.

Thanks. Worst-case I'll go to firstrow or a similar site. Edited by Tank

Like the roster prediction thread showed, the most gaping hole on next year's depth chart is first-line right wing.

And the most needed piece is a strong, two-way guy to shield Reinhart and McEichel.

Add in the age and I don't think there is a better fit for the Sabres than O'Reilly.

In my view the price for Kane and O'Reilly would be similar — the both are highly thought of and they both have baggage.

The price on O'Reilly won't get too high unless a team really thinks they can sign him.

And I will pull out the Craig Oster card, Murray's friend and O'Reilly's agent.

Grigorenko and this year's first have to be on the table, but you've got to think the Avs will want a D. I'm not keen on dealing Risto or Zad or Bogey, and I'm not sure if Pysyk or McCabe gets it done. I wonder if they have any interest in Gorges?

Another interesting wildcard piece to consider is next year's first. It's probably a lottery pick. Is Murray willing to bet next year's team will be that much better?

Edited by dudacek

Does anybody remember/know if the trade deadline day coverage airs streams anywhere? I may not be anywhere that has NHL Network/TSN that day.

WGR is live all day with hockey coverage and you can listen live off their web site or use their app. At least they are normally on deadline day and I would expect them to be this year as well.

WGR is live all day with hockey coverage and you can listen live off their web site or use their ###### ###### app. At least they are normally on deadline day and I would expect them to be this year as well.

Thanks for the idea, but I want to hear "we have a trade to announce" from the real guys.

Getting ROR will make us tougher to play against, so murray is bound to be in on him.

And if we want to protect our future 1C and Reinhart, ROR is a must have.   But losing ennis might sting a bit as well.

Don't think Grigorenko and 1st will get it done, that would be a steal.

I'd offer Stewart 3rd line money for 3 years.   And we can beat the out of the bruins :D

Should the Sabres move Ennis? He's looked really good all year. I'd rather they move Moulson.

Don't think either will, go but if you want a top 6 player , ennis will be part of the deal for sure.

but no prospect will join, maybe a 2nd round pick or something.

Edited by Heimdall

No trading Ennis please. I would move others before I move Ennis.

I strongly agree w/ this. At the beginning of the season I would've supported Ennis being involved w/ a trade for a player on O'Reilly's level, but Ennis's play has been dependable and productive though much of the season. He's playing well on a very bad team. It's okay to have small a sized player. Murray's certainly making up that for w/ veteran additions/prospects in the system. Ennis is also far more affordable. I do agree the cap will most likely be a good bit higher by the time Buffalo will need to extend contracts, but Ennis needs to be a part of the future. I'd finish this post, but I need to go to work. Keep Ennis. Get O'Reilly. Let Murray some how pull it off. He's a GM. We're not. In Murray we trust....

You know the interesting thing about Ennis this year is how shifty and confident he has become.  I notice him creating offense almost every single play. Also he is a feisty little... person.  He has really grown into a leader on this team.  I know the points are not their for him but I think next year they could be.  With Zemgus and another larger player on his line he has so much room to create and work that good things are coming.  

As for O'Reilly.  I think Grigorenko would be included in a deal if Roy still likes him.  I also think you see 1 of Bailey or Baptiste asked for.  

I strongly agree w/ this. At the beginning of the season I would've supported Ennis being involved w/ a trade for a player on O'Reilly's level, but Ennis's play has been dependable and productive though much of the season. He's playing well on a very bad team. It's okay to have small a sized player. Murray's certainly making up that for w/ veteran additions/prospects in the system. Ennis is also far more affordable. I do agree the cap will most likely be a good bit higher by the time Buffalo will need to extend contracts, but Ennis needs to be a part of the future. I'd finish this post, but I need to go to work. Keep Ennis. Get O'Reilly. Let Murray some how pull it off. He's a GM. We're not. In Murray we trust....

I've enjoyed watching Ennis this year.

I would gladly take and pay RoR tomorrow. By the time we have to pay any of the kids, including McEichel, big money who knows what the cap will be and frankly if we need to jockey money 6 years from now so be it. This team sucks at two things, scoring goals and preventing goals. O'Reilly helps with both.

Pay that man his money. /end Malkovich

Exactly how I feel.  It just really depends on the asking price and what is involved.   There are pieces available.  It cannot start with Zadorov, Ristolainen or Bogosian (defense) or Reinhart, Fasching or Compher (on offense) hopefully.  

I've enjoyed watching Ennis this year.

Ennis is always trying.  He's a part that I would prefer to see on the roster, but I do feel that RoR > Ennis.  

I think for us to trade Reinhart, who in the past year has only improved his worth, Tim Murray would have to be getting a 1st line star center back in a deal. Remember that Reinhart is and will forever be the 1st pick of Murray's gm.  Every time I hear GMTM discuss him I get the impression he puts a lot of faith in Sam. 

So for O'Reilly right now we have a package of Grigorenko, Hodgson (maybe), a late 1st or early 2nd and perhaps another prospect, this is our base price to work from.

I think for us to trade Reinhart, who in the past year has only improved his worth, Tim Murray would have to be getting a 1st line star center back in a deal. Remember that Reinhart is and will forever be the 1st pick of Murray's gm.  Every time I hear GMTM discuss him I get the impression he puts a lot of faith in Sam. 

So for O'Reilly right now we have a package of Grigorenko, Hodgson (maybe), a late 1st or early 2nd and perhaps another prospect, this is our base price to work from.

Are you projecting Reinhart to be a star?  I think that may be stretching what he'll become just a bit.  I expect he'll be a good center in this league, a first liner on many teams, but I'm not sure he's got "star" potential in him, whatever that is. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.