Trade speculation 2014-15

Hoss

Not a fan of making a winger our highest paid player by a wide margin for the next 5 years?

Just not willing to pay the high asking price for him that is all.

Kane was somewhat affordable and he could turn into the scoring machine kessel now is.  

For kessel we will have to break the bank and any trade for him will start with ennis/kane/girgensons and i want no part of that.

Ask yourselves this, would you be willing to trade 2 of Zemgus, Zadorov, Ristolainen, plus another roster player plus a 1st round pick to a team in conference and division?

In terms of pure talent in a vacuum that is probably what it would cost, but Kessel's cap hit of $8MM for a long term commitment will probably bring the return down. Add in Toronto's willingness/eagerness to blow it up and move him (which was a factor in the Kane trade), and the price won't be equal to Kessel's raw talent.

or his raw weight either ;)

In terms of pure talent in a vacuum that is probably what it would cost, but Kessel's cap hit of $8MM for a long term commitment will probably bring the return down. Add in Toronto's willingness/eagerness to blow it up and move him (which was a factor in the Kane trade), and the price won't be equal to Kessel's raw talent.

or his raw weight either ;)

Perhaps, but he will cost more than Kane did.

My guess is Kessel ends up in Florida. Dale Tallon is apparently making a strong push for it.

Their first this year will have some solid value, and they could make it happen with some of their young assets. Report right now is that the Panthers won't include Barkov, Ekblad or Huberdeau. If they can get it done without including those three then they're in great shape.

Right so say Kane was just Stafford, Lemiuex, Armia, 1st... that means Kessel is Zemgus/Ennis, Zad/Risto, Grigorenko/Baptiste/Bailey, plus the other 2015 1st... that's your base price.  

Well, to be fair, Stafford was a rental and thus not nearly as valuable an asset as the 4 guys you mention in the Kessel context.

Still, I think there is NFW the Sabres could get him without including one of Zemgus, Risto or Nikita, plus a #1 and more than 1 good prospect.

My guess is Kessel ends up in Florida. Dale Tallon is apparently making a strong push for it.

Their first this year will have some solid value, and they could make it happen with some of their young assets. Report right now is that the Panthers won't include Barkov, Ekblad or Huberdeau. If they can get it done without including those three then they're in great shape.

I'd be surprised if Florida's owner would be willing to take on that contract.

Edit - Unless it's frontloaded with the majority of dollars already paid.

I'd be surprised if Florida's owner would be willing to take on that contract.

Edit - Unless it's frontloaded with the majority of dollars already paid.

Florida's new owner had informed Tallon he can spend to the cap. They've been willing to spend since. Won't be an issue.

Ask yourselves this, would you be willing to trade 2 of Zemgus, Zadorov, Ristolainen, plus another roster player plus a 1st round pick to a team in conference and division?

You can't worry about trading in conference or division. You worry about improving your team plus you limit the number of teams to trade with if you do this. It should not be an issue.

Florida's new owner had informed Tallon he can spend to the cap. They've been willing to spend since. Won't be an issue.

I'm sure publically he's saying they can spend to the cap but losing $114,000 per day (last season) is incredible.  Maybe he keeps spending in hopes of the team being competitive and getting more butts in the seats.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/doug-cifu-florida-panthers-owner-admits-team-losing-millions-1.2823450

I'm simply awestruck by the sheer amount of empty seats every game in Florida, even when they play the top teams. And they're doing very well this year. With that type of fan support, I wonder how they can pay anybody. Maybe they can take Kessel to Quebec City or Las Vegas but I don't see the franchise staying in Sunrise. It's dead Jim.

Edited by 716

I'm sure publically he's saying they can spend to the cap but losing $114,000 per day (last season) is incredible.  Maybe he keeps spending in hopes of the team being competitive and getting more butts in the seats.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/doug-cifu-florida-panthers-owner-admits-team-losing-millions-1.2823450

As stated in the article, that previous franchise low for Florida home attendance that was back in 2007 was 10,063.  Florida's average home attendance this year has only been 10,577.  Carolina and Phoenix are next at the bottom with 12,500 and 13,254 respectively.  Buffalo's still up at #12 at 18401.

For Florida to pay their salaries this year -just for the guys on their NHL roster (not their cap hit, not their AHL guys, and absolutely no other expenses)- with their attendance figures, attendees would have to pay an average of $76/seat.  And we know they ain't collecting that when they've got $7/seat season tickets available.  Their average ticket price is $33.49.  I know there's lots of other revenue streams.

For comparison, the Blackhawks would need to collect $85/ticket to do the same, and they collect on average $275.65 per seat.  (1st in attendance, 3rd in avg ticket price)

Edited by IKnowPhysics

As stated in the article, that previous franchise low for Florida home attendance that was back in 2007 was 10,063.  Florida's average home attendance this year has only been 10,577.  Carolina and Phoenix are next at the bottom with 12,500 and 13,254 respectively.  Buffalo's still up at #12 at 18401.

For Florida to pay their salaries this year -just for the guys on their NHL roster (not their cap hit, not their AHL guys, and absolutely no other expenses)- with their attendance figures, attendees would have to pay an average of $76/seat.  And we know they ain't collecting that when they've got $7/seat season tickets available.

I realize their attendance would still be abysmal, but it seems unfair to rank teams based on seats since the # isn't a constant from one venue to the next.  With the old Igloo the Pens would've had embarrassing attendance #s, simply due to lack of availability.  Why not use % to account for the different seating capacities at each arena?

Edited by biodork

I'm simply awestruck by the sheer amount of empty seats every game in Florida, even when they play the top teams. And they're doing very well this year. With that type of fan support, I wonder how they can pay anybody. Maybe they can take Kessel to Quebec City or Las Vegas but I don't see the franchise staying in Sunrise. It's dead Jim.

They'll move to Quebuec , arena is already built for it :D

I realize their attendance would still be abysmal, but it seems unfair to rank teams based on seats since the # isn't a constant from one venue to the next.  With the old Igloo the Pens would've had embarrassing attendance #s, simply due to lack of availability.  Why not use % to account for the different seating capacities at each arena?

:thumbsup:

You can sort the list by % of capacity... guess who's last.  We slide down to 20th.

:thumbsup:

You can sort the list by % of capacity... guess who's last.  We slide down to 20th.

My bad; should've tried the link first.   :oops:  But how the heck are there teams over 100%?  Either way, #1-20 are all over 90%, which seems respectable.

And serious question:  how is it that Carolina is smack inbetween Arizona and Florida as far as poor attendance, and yet they never seem to be in the "franchise must be moved" conversation?

My bad; should've tried the link first.   :oops:  But how the heck are there teams over 100%?  Either way, #1-20 are all over 90%, which seems respectable.

And serious question:  how is it that Carolina is smack inbetween Arizona and Florida as far as poor attendance, and yet they never seem to be in the "franchise must be moved" conversation?

Cup win?

the 100% issue seems to be standing room.  United Center has seating capacity of 19,717, then they sell about 2 thousand standing room.

I'm sure publically he's saying they can spend to the cap but losing $114,000 per day (last season) is incredible. Maybe he keeps spending in hopes of the team being competitive and getting more butts in the seats.

These numbers are never accurate. I'm sure they "lost" money over the entire season, but you're right: need to ice a competitive team to get butts in the seats. He'll have to find a balance of saving money and being competitive.

There have been rumors of things brewing between Montreal and Toronto and now this:

@TheFourthPeriod: Habs management very present on Toronto seating chart for Panthers/Leafs tonight. Five (5) guys on list, including GM Bergevin.

Hmmmm... Montreal has been chasing a scoring winger for eternity.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.