Trade speculation 2014-15

Hoss

Moulson is not going to be traded. Not only is he, by far and away, the best RW we have in the system, he just signed here in FA after being traded away the previous season. It would make Buffalo look like ###### to trade him or Georges away

Conjecture, speculation and guess work. Maybe he didn't sign up for all time bad team shenanigans.

Anaheim needs a defense-first guy, which is what I see Myers as.  The Ducks are only 17th in the league in goals against per game (2.62) and 17th on the PK.  They could use more size on the back-end too.  Fowler is an offensive d-man who has learned how to play in his own zone over the past couple of seasons.  He isn't very physical.  But, he is better with the puck on his stick than Myers.  And, he is much better than Myers on the power play from what I've seen.

I watched Fowler play last night here in Nashville and thought he looked good... although I had a few beers in me, so my judgment may have been off!

Conjecture, speculation and guess work. Maybe he didn't sign up for all time bad team shenanigans.

There's not a player on this roster that didn't know what they were signing up for this season. Moulson made a long term deal, so it'd be a dick move to ship him off after he put up with the shenanigans without letting him be a part of the turnaround

Even Moulson didn't know, shipping him off after resigning him after trading him is bad practice for an organization 

Anaheim needs a defense-first guy, which is what I see Myers as. The Ducks are only 17th in the league in goals against per game (2.62) and 17th on the PK. They could use more size on the back-end too. Fowler is an offensive d-man who has learned how to play in his own zone over the past couple of seasons. He isn't very physical. But, he is better with the puck on his stick than Myers. And, he is much better than Myers on the power play from what I've seen.

I watched Fowler play last night here in Nashville and thought he looked good... although I had a few beers in me, so my judgment may have been off!

Myers not being a defense first defenseman might be an issue.

Myers not being a defense first defenseman might be an issue.

I'm trying to be somewhat objective, but I honestly think Sabres fans wildly overvalue Myers.  And, a lot of my perspective comes from watching really talented two-way defensemen here in Nashville.  The gap between Myers and guys like Shea Weber, Roman Josi, Seth Jones and Matty Ekholm is considerable.  I think Myers is a really good penalty killer because of his reach (he and Chara are the only guys in the league who have longer sticks than what the rules allow).  But, in no way, shape or form do I see Myers as a guy any team with Cup aspirations builds around.  I think that's where Tim Murray is too.  He's clearly taking calls about Myers and has been for quite some time.  Myers plays over 25 minutes a game and has only 11 points and 2 goals.  That's terrible given he is on the ice for half the game.  There is a reason the Sabres have an anemic offense and it isn't all because the forwards forgot how to finish.  In today's NHL much of the offense is generated from the backend.  Again, I think Murray knows this.  Hence the Fowler rumors.

I'm trying to be somewhat objective, but I honestly think Sabres fans wildly overvalue Myers.  And, a lot of my perspective comes from watching really talented two-way defensemen here in Nashville.  The gap between Myers and guys like Shea Weber, Roman Josi, Seth Jones and Matty Ekholm is considerable.  I think Myers is a really good penalty killer because of his reach (he and Chara are the only guys in the league who have longer sticks than what the rules allow).  But, in no way, shape or form do I see Myers as a guy any team with Cup aspirations builds around.  I think that's where Tim Murray is too.  He's clearly taking calls about Myers and has been for quite some time.  Myers plays over 25 minutes a game and has only 11 points and 2 goals.  That's terrible given he is on the ice for half the game.  There is a reason the Sabres have an anemic offense and it isn't all because the forwards forgot how to finish.  In today's NHL much of the offense is generated from the backend.  Again, I think Murray knows this.  Hence the Fowler rumors.

If you were to transplant Shea Weber to Buffalo, with everything else constant, his numbers would suffer. I think Myers is a solid player on a limited talent team.

Does Detroit start to bend on giving Mantha, Nyquist, or Tatar, if Stafford is used as a sweetener with Myers?

Detroit gets some punch in front and behind, we unload Stafford and get good return on Myers, probably close to or better than what TM's asking for Myers alone.

Would Murray consider Larkin or Mantha straight up for Myers?  I think he needs a little more back from Det. 

Anaheim needs a defense-first guy, which is what I see Myers as.  The Ducks are only 17th in the league in goals against per game (2.62) and 17th on the PK.  They could use more size on the back-end too.  Fowler is an offensive d-man who has learned how to play in his own zone over the past couple of seasons.  He isn't very physical.  But, he is better with the puck on his stick than Myers.  And, he is much better than Myers on the power play from what I've seen.

Wearin your beer glasses were ya ?

Would Murray consider Larkin or Mantha straight up for Myers?  I think he needs a little more back from Det.

Well, rumors are saying we're looking for a top prospect, a roster player, and a first, and I think that's reasonable, so I'd expect more back. But to pry the highest end prospects out of Detroit, we may want to throw on a rental and maybe some conditions.

Being from Winnipeg, let me be the first to tell you, we do not want Kane. Since the thrashers relocated I have wanted this guy gone. As far as the asking price, I don't care what issues he has(he has many), Chevaldayoff is a strong believer in the jets core. Take a look for yourself at what he has done. Virtually nothing of value. A few waiver pickups and minor trades. Kane is having season ending surgery. The jets players, management and fans would all like to see this guy gone tomorrow, but give your head a shake if you think your getting him for any less the Moulson and a 2nd. I am not saying we should pay that, but a scoring winger is what it will take to get him, and the sabres are in no way shape or form able to pay that. Even if he pulls a Seguin, which he very well could, I still don't want him.

Being from Winnipeg, let me be the first to tell you, we do not want Kane. Since the thrashers relocated I have wanted this guy gone. As far as the asking price, I don't care what issues he has(he has many), Chevaldayoff is a strong believer in the jets core. Take a look for yourself at what he has done. Virtually nothing of value. A few waiver pickups and minor trades. Kane is having season ending surgery, meaning Winnipeg but themselves in a position where they don't have to settle for any of the following players in a trade : Foligno, Stewart, play. The jets players, management and fans would all like to see this guy gone tomorrow, but give your head a shake if you think your getting him for any less the Moulson and a 2nd. I am not saying we should pay that, but a scoring winger is what it will take to get him, and the sabres are in no way shape or form able to pay that. Even if he pulls a Seguin, which he very well could, I still don't want him.

Good read, thanks for the link. It'd be interesting to see how much money Fowler demands when his deal ends, and I'd like to know if Myers is better with an offensive defensman as a partner like the article says or an anchor like he had in Tallinder

I ran the numbers a few years ago on plus/minus of Myers with different partners, I think I did the previous 3 years.  Myers had considerably better plus/minus with an offensive partner.  

I have one year up on my website, It's the short season. http://www.limedata.us/3.php

Fill in Buffalo and Myers in the two boxes on top

Edited by rakish

Being from Winnipeg, let me be the first to tell you, we do not want Kane. Since the thrashers relocated I have wanted this guy gone. As far as the asking price, I don't care what issues he has(he has many), Chevaldayoff is a strong believer in the jets core. Take a look for yourself at what he has done. Virtually nothing of value. A few waiver pickups and minor trades. Kane is having season ending surgery. The jets players, management and fans would all like to see this guy gone tomorrow, but give your head a shake if you think your getting him for any less the Moulson and a 2nd. I am not saying we should pay that, but a scoring winger is what it will take to get him, and the sabres are in no way shape or form able to pay that. Even if he pulls a Seguin, which he very well could, I still don't want him.

To be honest, don't think i want a guy on this team who tweets himself doing push ups with a pile of cash on his back.

This is the stat line of a 23-year-old defenseman.  His team gave up on him and traded him:

GP  G A PTS +/- PIM

82   2  7   9    -27  157

You all know who I'm talking about.  He was not considered especially strong on the puck, despite his size.  He was not considered to be especially physical, either.

Three years later, he hit his prime at 26.  44 points that year.  He never had a full season under 40 after that.  His plus-minus was +33 that year.  He had a negative +/- only once after that.

If this team trades Myers, it had better get more than Cam Fowler or Dylan Larkin in return.  He has the potential to be a franchise-defining player.  STILL.  Those two do not.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.