Trade speculation 2014-15

Hoss

Even if the Lindros type deal could be pulled off.  Edmonton is not the team to do it with.

If they couldn't win with the stars that they have why do we think the Sabres could?  The Oilers might actually come out on top in that one.

No chance I would consider the trade, not with the Oilers.

The stars they have aren't playing with anyone around them. It's 4-5 first-line guys and nothing else. You could put Crosby, Toews, Kane, and Gretzky in that situation and they probably wouldn't win.

What exactly do we have in place? I don't mean that to be an ass it's a legit question. Other than Girgs, Risto, Zadarov, and Reinhart everyone else is a major question mark.

Nothing else.  Two core Dmen that have each have the potential to be a top pairing, a potential top line centre (or very good second line centre) and a great looking third line centre.  I know nobody else in the organization is a slam dunk but there are some potential 2nd and 3rd line wingers and middle pairing Dmen there.  You get yourself a superstar franchise player picking 1 or 2 and everything will fall into place.

Also, some have soured on Myers but I think he can still be a good 3rd or 4th Dman on a good team.  Ennis could also be a second line winger on a good team IMO.  Add in two more firsts in a good draft and it still comes back to us landing that franchise guy.

Edited by Derrico

I don't think Buffalo does it either. None of those guys are franchise-changers and, as a group, they haven't done much either. I would be pissed if that happened. Luckily it won't.

I'm on the fence. How does this lineup look. Moulson-Duschene-ArmiaEnnis-Reinhart-GirgensonsGrigorenko-O'Reilly-GiontaDeslauries-McCormick-FolignoBarrie-JohnsonMyers-Gorges Risto-Zadorov I'm intrigued, still probably want McEichel... But I'm given pause.

I'm on the fence. How does this lineup look. Moulson-Duschene-Armia Ennis-Reinhart-Girgensons Grigorenko-O'Reilly-Gionta Deslauries-McCormick-Foligno Barrie-Johnson Myers-Gorges Risto-Zadorov I'm intrigued, still probably want McEichel... But I'm given pause.

That's probably one of the few trades I'd give McEichel up for. But the likelihood of such a trade is slim to none.

I'm on the fence. How does this lineup look. Moulson-Duschene-ArmiaEnnis-Reinhart-GirgensonsGrigorenko-O'Reilly-GiontaDeslauries-McCormick-FolignoBarrie-JohnsonMyers-Gorges Risto-Zadorov I'm intrigued, still probably want McEichel... But I'm given pause.

If you were to swap #1 for #3 you could add Hannifan to the mix. Trade the #3 for #8(just a random #) and you can add the players the #3 got you plus a Crouse/Barzal at 8. That is A LOT of return for McDavid. To say no to that you better get 15 years of 80-100 pts out of McDavid.

Keep an open mind.  Colorado won the Cup with its inherited bounty from the Lindros trade.  Filly didn't.

Now would be the year to do it. With everyone hyping up the top of this draft, some crazy GM would probably make a Lindros/Hershel Walker type trade offer. Many stars > One Superstar. Hockey is a team game.

We are not trading the #1 overall pick in this draft for anything.  There isn't going to be a trade and feel free to say, well what if X, well X isn't happening.

The only at-all possible move would be if Buffalo takes #1, and #2 throws a bunch of stuff that could be considered. Is McDavid better than Eichel, Eberle, and Hall, for instance?

The only at-all possible move would be if Buffalo takes #1, and #2 throws a bunch of stuff that could be considered. Is McDavid better than Eichel, Eberle, and Hall, for instance?

Yes.

I might even agree with you on it's merit, but is one center more valuable than (hopefully) an entire first line. I'd have to think about it.

Edited by MattPie

I'd take Eichel, Eberle, and Hall in a heartbeat. For comparison sake, I'd rather have Toews, Kane and Sharp than just Crosby. 

Keep an open mind.  Colorado won the Cup with its inherited bounty from the Lindros trade.  Filly didn't.

They had back-to-back-to-back #1 overall picks in Quebec and traded all of them (Lindros, Owen Nolan, and Mats Sundin) prior to finally winning a Cup in '96.

(there are many possible routes to winning a Cup)

Generational player (GMTM's own words). You don't pass those up for nuttin'.

With the odds saying it will be Eichel if we finish last then I sure hope it was worth tanking two years for him. Because if Eichel isn't good enough adding Hall and Eberle into the equation then tanking was dumber than I aleady thought. You don't tank for a slight chance of getting one "generational player".

Going to be a lot of broken hearts, including Murrays, if this plays out the way it most likely will.

With the odds saying it will be Eichel if we finish last then I sure hope it was worth tanking two years for him. Because if Eichel isn't good enough adding Hall and Eberle into the equation then tanking was dumber than I aleady thought. You don't tank for a slight chance of getting one "generational player".

Going to be a lot of broken hearts, including Murrays, if this plays out the way it most likely will.

I'm not sure what you're saying. Both McDavid and Eichel are viewed as generational. Tanking to the very bottom guarantees you one of them... Not a small chance at one of them. There is a definite separation between McDavid but that's a testament to how good he is and not a reflection on Eichel.

I'm not sure what you're saying. Both McDavid and Eichel are viewed as generational. Tanking to the very bottom guarantees you one of them... Not a small chance at one of them. There is a definite separation between McDavid but that's a testament to how good he is and not a reflection on Eichel.

Don't worry about what I was trying to say. I confused myself. ????

We are not trading the #2 overall pick.

What if Eichel pulls a Lindros and says he'll return to college if Buffalo selects him?    It's not out of the realm of possibility.   His family being huge Bruins fans, maybe he wants to stay in Boston.... and then GMTM has a long conversation with Jeremy Jacobs over a couple of Ribeye's at Olivers (i used to work there and saw a lot of JJ).     Would you trade that pick for some kind of combination of picks, prospects, Rask, Pastrnak, and Hamilton? 

What if Eichel pulls a Lindros and says he'll return to college if Buffalo selects him?    It's not out of the realm of possibility.   His family being huge Bruins fans, maybe he wants to stay in Boston.... and then GMTM has a long conversation with Jeremy Jacobs over a couple of Ribeye's at Olivers (i used to work there and saw a lot of JJ).     Would you trade that pick for some kind of combination of picks, prospects, Rask, Pastrnak, and Hamilton? 

That trade would be awful, but not a chance Eichel doesn't play for who drafts him. 

What if Eichel pulls a Lindros and says he'll return to college if Buffalo selects him? It's not out of the realm of possibility. His family being huge Bruins fans, maybe he wants to stay in Boston.... and then GMTM has a long conversation with Jeremy Jacobs over a couple of Ribeye's at Olivers (i used to work there and saw a lot of JJ). Would you trade that pick for some kind of combination of picks, prospects, Rask, Pastrnak, and Hamilton?

He isn't doing that.

But it does remind me of one depressing thought I had: what if we go through all this and then they walk at the very first year they're eligible for UFA?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.