Trade speculation 2014-15

Hoss

I'm not following what you mean here. Could you elaborate?

He has been statistically quiet this season. If that continues into next year, on a team which should have more talent, that is a cause for concern.

I understand the theory, and that many here subscribe to it, but as posted above I do not believe that TM signed those 2 in an intentional sabotage move.

Maybe not but he signed them well before Leddy and Boychuk were moved. Also 27 other teams got bested as well then.

I understand the theory, and that many here subscribe to it, but as posted above I do not believe that TM signed those 2 in an intentional sabotage move.

Mezaros and Benoit are definite boom-or-bust and cap moves. 1-yr, modest money. If they end up playing well they get traded as a rental (or if really good, maybe signed), if not, walk away at the end of the year. It's a great experiment if you're not counting on winning right away.

It's not so much that he signed Meszaros and Benoit because they would help us remain terrible as he didn't go after Boychuk and Leddy because they'd help us be better than he wanted us to get.

No, he threw money at two defensemen he was familiar with from his days in Ottawa. A way to give them a chance and also accomplish his goals. Are either of them getting a contract when he signed them? Not really. So, he did it and if they pan out they are in line for a good contract at the end of the season (and are also trade bait). If they don't pan out.. hello #1.

Me neither. They (and Strachan) were defensive depth and insurance to protect our young defencemen.

Mess was also a salary floor move.

No, he threw money at two defensemen he was familiar with from his days in Ottawa. A way to give them a chance and also accomplish his goals. Are either of them getting a contract when he signed them? Not really. So, he did it and if they pan out they are in line for a good contract at the end of the season (and are also trade bait). If they don't pan out.. hello #1.

And this.

I think Timmy will clearly have outmanoeuvred Snow when he signs Boychuk as a UFA this summer.

(or did the Isles already re-sign him?)

Talks are on-going to re-sign Boychuk. Whether it happens is another matter but both parties say the same thing, they are talking.

Don't know why any player would want to come to Bflo now except for Uncle Terry's money. That's a bad motivation, ask Ehrhoff and Leino. It's not worth it. Sabres might get talented players from time to time but these players languish when they don't mesh with the bad chemistry set up by the bad management. So talking trades has a huge IF, if the discussed player has Buffalo on his do not trade list. And I don't see many who want to take part in this exercise in selling the soul then demoralization.

Don't know why any player would want to come to Bflo now except for Uncle Terry's money. That's a bad motivation, ask Ehrhoff and Leino. It's not worth it. Sabres might get talented players from time to time but these players languish when they don't mesh with the bad chemistry set up by the bad management. So talking trades has a huge IF, if the discussed player has Buffalo on his do not trade list. And I don't see many who want to take part in this exercise in selling the soul then demoralization.

:huh:

The tank is done in 90 days or less. Why, if they were able to get FA's to sign here last year when it was pretty obvious there'd be one more year of 'suffering' wouldn't they be able to get them moving forward?

seriously, there is an arguement that if the Sabres traded for Boychuk and Leddy we would be how much further in the standings? the free agent acquistions by Murray are perfect - gets them to to floor and lets McCabe and Pysyk mature in Rochester and the Sabres battle for last. PERFECT!

I don't buy the argument. The Sabres D isn't the real problem, it is scoring and puck control. There have only been a few games that the Sabres have been blown out until recently with the revolving door at D. The Sabres need forwards that can score and bring the puck up the ice. Until that happens the D will occasionally struggle and would with Boychuk and Leddy. The Isle problems were not their forwards last year, but their D sucked. Now that they are playing D and have Tavares back it makes sense in hindsight that they are good.

Edited by Icehole

I don't believe this for a second. This team is going to suck for years.

You don't believe they make moves to improve not just the LT outlook but also the nearterm when this tirefire of a season is over? Then why torture yourself with this?

I expect this team to be bad but typically entertaining next year (probably 10th-ish in the conference) and will be extremely disappointed if they aren't in the playoffs in 2 years.

You don't believe they make moves to improve not just the LT outlook but also the nearterm when this tirefire of a season is over? Then why torture yourself with this?

I expect this team to be bad but typically entertaining next year (probably 10th-ish in the conference) and will be extremely disappointed if they aren't in the playoffs in 2 years.

I expect one MAYBE two more bottom ten finishes (but not near last overall) and then competing for the playoffs. If McDavid or Eichel end up here and turn into Sidney Crosby-types that compete at a high level right away then I'd expect to compete for a playoff spot within two years.

I think GMTM will poach teams like Chicago, San Jose, Boston and Colorado who are rich with forward talent and may be facing cap issues.

From what I've seen the management in this organization doesn't have a clue and I have no faith in them. I am starting to ask myself this question about torture. I must have Sabres Stockholm Syndrome. I'm in a dark place with Pegula and this organization now and am questioning my allegiance since 1970.

I'm ready for a trade... any trade... otherwise we're stuck waiting for a bunch of 18-19 year olds to become 22-23 year olds. Nothing wrong with that per se, but we're going to run out of stuff to talk about on this forum. B-)

I think once the '15 draft is out of the way, we're going to be taking a significantly different approach to player personnel. I think we'll in a mode devoted to maximizing the development of the kids, and we'll be in a position to buy or acquire skilled veterans to surround them with. Gionta, Moulson, and Gorges are an ok start, but it can't be any more obvious that's there's more to do. Moves are coming, probably in the off season (or perhaps even the deadline, if it doesn't pooch the tank). I think the next deadline will be interesting too. With the proper veterans, we'll watch the win column grow as the kids do.

With any luck, we'll have made moves this off season to accelerate our growth to the point where we're not overly concerned about the '16 lottery. But I'm still pretty patient about the pace of our improvement.

I really think this team will be a serious cup contender in the near future, but I have been saying for almost a year now it is going to be LONGER than a lot of people want.

-I'd LIKE them to compete for the playoffs next season, but I think it may take at least 2.

-I'd LIKE them to be serious cup contenders (a top 6-8 team) in 2 years, but I"m thinking it'll be more like 4 years before they get to that point.

Any players the Sabres draft this year (McDavid, Eichel, Hannifan), plus Reinhardt, add Zadarov, Armia and Grigorenko....if, IF they turn out to be stars in this game, they won't be complete players you can rely on as 2 way stars in the playoffs for at least 3-4 years.

Things are going to be fine with this team eventually, but I think we may be looking at the 2016-2017 or 2017-2018 seasons before this team is a legit contender to go a few rounds in the playoffs. If management tries to rush things quicker than that..it will be harmful for the team overall.

From what I've seen the management in this organization doesn't have a clue and I have no faith in them. I am starting to ask myself this question about torture. I must have Sabres Stockholm Syndrome. I'm in a dark place with Pegula and this organization now and am questioning my allegiance since 1970.

Don't quit man ! YOU CAN DO IT.

This is the stuff of legend. This is the penultimate no pain no gain situation. Think of the reward man !

I really think this team will be a serious cup contender in the near future, but I have been saying for almost a year now it is going to be LONGER than a lot of people want.

-I'd LIKE them to compete for the playoffs next season, but I think it may take at least 2.

-I'd LIKE them to be serious cup contenders (a top 6-8 team) in 2 years, but I"m thinking it'll be more like 4 years before they get to that point.

Any players the Sabres draft this year (McDavid, Eichel, Hannifan), plus Reinhardt, add Zadarov, Armia and Grigorenko....if, IF they turn out to be stars in this game, they won't be complete players you can rely on as 2 way stars in the playoffs for at least 3-4 years.

Things are going to be fine with this team eventually, but I think we may be looking at the 2016-2017 or 2017-2018 seasons before this team is a legit contender to go a few rounds in the playoffs. If management tries to rush things quicker than that..it will be harmful for the team overall.

Who's he?

Yea it will be at least another couple of years before we start adding talent from past drafts on a regular and critical mass basis. I think next year we won't be in the playoffs and the following year is to far away to call.

It's kind of funny that people just give up on management after one season. Their job is much different from players and coaches. They often inherit garbage and have to cut off the fat before cooking the meat up to perfection. It'll take time for Murray to get the right mix of players in there. And to ignore the tank is crazy. He wasn't going to do anything ridiculous last offseason. This is a plan.

It's kind of funny that people just give up on management after one season. Their job is much different from players and coaches. They often inherit garbage and have to cut off the fat before cooking the meat up to perfection. It'll take time for Murray to get the right mix of players in there. And to ignore the tank is crazy. He wasn't going to do anything ridiculous last offseason. This is a plan.

Yup and currently Murray is seasoning that prime piece of steak.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.