Trade speculation 2014-15

Hoss

I miss the days when people expected NYI to give us a top 5 pick last year..........that was pretty funny.......

There's still time! :)

I really think this team will be a serious cup contender in the near future, but I have been saying for almost a year now it is going to be LONGER than a lot of people want.

-I'd LIKE them to compete for the playoffs next season, but I think it may take at least 2.

-I'd LIKE them to be serious cup contenders (a top 6-8 team) in 2 years, but I"m thinking it'll be more like 4 years before they get to that point.

Any players the Sabres draft this year (McDavid, Eichel, Hannifan), plus Reinhardt, add Zadarov, Armia and Grigorenko....if, IF they turn out to be stars in this game, they won't be complete players you can rely on as 2 way stars in the playoffs for at least 3-4 years.

Things are going to be fine with this team eventually, but I think we may be looking at the 2016-2017 or 2017-2018 seasons before this team is a legit contender to go a few rounds in the playoffs. If management tries to rush things quicker than that..it will be harmful for the team overall.

I think your time scale is way too compressed. If everything goes swimmingly, the Sabres squeak into the playoffs in April 2017. Contender is too far out to really bet on. I'd like to see 2018, but really I'd bet on two years of 6-8 seed before anyone is talking contender. Don't set yourself up for a fall man, I'm hoping to see Sabres hockey in June 2020, I won't let myself get more optimistic than that.

IIRC the Pens had a pretty abrupt turnaround once they drafted Crosby. They also had Malkin and Fleury at that point though, and it took them a rookie season under Crosby, but in his sophomore year they were a 100 point team. We can only hope to be rooting for us to win next year for a change, and contending for a playoff spot in two years

IIRC the Pens had a pretty abrupt turnaround once they drafted Crosby. They also had Malkin and Fleury at that point though, and it took them a rookie season under Crosby, but in his sophomore year they were a 100 point team. We can only hope to be rooting for us to win next year for a change, and contending for a playoff spot in two years

This is precisely what I see happening.

I don't see how Nolan isn't fired in the morning. GMTM will have a lot pressure mounting now. But but but tank? Uggghh. As bad as it is Nolan needs to finish the season. I just don't know how GMTM does that. The game tonight was an ultimate low bar.

I don't see how Nolan isn't fired in the morning. GMTM will have a lot pressure mounting now. But but but tank? Uggghh. As bad as it is Nolan needs to finish the season. I just don't know how GMTM does that. The game tonight was an ultimate low bar.

Do we not all agree that this team is devoid of talent ? Imo Ted will finish the season. Unless he quits,

Do we not all agree that this team is devoid of talent ? Imo Ted will finish the season. Unless he quits,

Nolan lasts the year for sure. But I don't see how this team is *significantly* worse without the coach having something to do with it. I'm open to the loss of Ehrhoff/Miller mattering more than the additions we made, but the difference in performance goes beyond that IMO.

Nolan lasts the year for sure. But I don't see how this team is *significantly* worse without the coach having something to do with it. I'm open to the loss of Ehrhoff/Miller mattering more than the additions we made, but the difference in performance goes beyond that IMO.

If he can hire Rex Ryan........

There have been three coaches through many seasons, now, of progressively worse rosters. How anyone can see coaching as an issue, what with all we have seen, is beyond me.

Pretty much agreed with this. There's no way you can blame the coach for any of this. The team stinks and it's on the players shoulders. Also, some consistency would be nice from the coaching position -- I know we were kind of spoiled having Lindy Ruff FOREVER, but you can't just fire the coach every year and a half and hope the new guy provides a quick fix.

IMO Nolan shouldn't even be on the hot seat until the actual "building" part of the rebuild starts. Dan Bylsma, Mike Babcock wouldn't win with this roster either. I think next season the real building process begins, hopefully with a McDavid or Eichel leading the way, but also with fresh blood via trade and free agency. But my worry is that these guys have been playing terrible hockey for too long, it might be time to completely blow it up -- that is, Ennis, Foligno, Weber, Hodgson, Kaleta, even though some of them have managed to play relatively okay hockey on a bad team, you might have to move them all to really fix this.

In any event, it becomes more of Tim's problem than Ted's. I will not put the blame on Ted for this team doing exactly what was intended all season long.

There have been three coaches through many seasons, now, of progressively worse rosters. How anyone can see coaching as an issue, what with all we have seen, is beyond me.

Effort.

During this recent stretch of futility I've witnessed this team giving up which is really unsettling. We all expected this team to be out-gunned and out-classed on most nights. The one thing I thought this team could bring every night is hard work and effort. The effort as of late has been really disappointing. That falls on the coaches.

I think my comment is being taken out of perspective. I'm not blaming Nolan, although certainly he gets a share of the blame, I fully understand the lack of talent on the team. Especially when Matt freaking Ellis is on the team.

My point is the heat that GMTM must feel with a game like this from this team. Nolan is now bumbling and seems shell shocked to me. The point really is can GMTM stand the heat that will be coming from all above him including El Pegual and the fans. Pro tank or anti tank people are going to be more than restless.

And the pressure is building. What an udder crapfest last night was. Who needs tickets? Every game of mine is available except the Vancouver game.

I think my comment is being taken out of perspective. I'm not blaming Nolan, although certainly he gets a share of the blame, I fully understand the lack of talent on the team. Especially when Matt freaking Ellis is on the team.

My point is the heat that GMTM must feel with a game like this from this team. Nolan is now bumbling and seems shell shocked to me. The point really is can GMTM stand the heat that will be coming from all above him including El Pegual and the fans. Pro tank or anti tank people are going to be more than restless.

And the pressure is building. What an udder crapfest last night was. Who needs tickets? Every game of mine is available except the Vancouver game.

Why? We have passed the halfway point of season that we knew we would suck in. So it is thus far a little more suck than we like, big deal. At this point we are basically all in for McDavid or Eichel, there is no coach firing or GM pressure. There is simply Murray waiting out the shelling until reinforcements arrive. 37 games left in what will have become a 212 game process, bailing at this juncture or panicking and fire people is stupid. We've passed the point of no return.

There is no heat and there is no pressure. There would be more heat if the team was playing mediocre. Upper management got restless when we went on that winning streak. They want to lose. They have pretty much told us that. Can't understand why that is so hard to understand.

This tanking crap was a horrible idea from the start. However, we are this far into it we have to ride it out.

I don't think there is any heat on Murray from management now. In fact, if the Pegulas weren't so busy with the Bills, they would probably be doing cartwheels over the drop in the standings that has occurred. This team clearly wants to finish last. The roster is built for it and a quick turnover after this season. There's probably only about 4-6 players that will be on this team 2-3 years from now. These guys just aren't good. Everyone that matters in the Sabres organization knows that and is ok with that.

From what I've seen the management in this organization doesn't have a clue and I have no faith in them. I am starting to ask myself this question about torture. I must have Sabres Stockholm Syndrome. I'm in a dark place with Pegula and this organization now and am questioning my allegiance since 1970.

where did management go wrong? what would you have done different?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.