SIGNING: Sabres bring back Cody McCormick

Hoss

:blink:

The thing I like (assuming this is a done deal) is Murray trades his guys at the deadline for assets... then signs them back. So we still have the player AND have the acquired assets as well. That is ballsy GM work IMHO.

a la Imlach?

Three years, $4.5 Mill. Don't really like having him around for three more years but it doesn't really matter.

Meh. Even if you send him down that last year he won't count towards the cap much. That AHL salary/cap overage thing will be raised every year.

SABRES SIGN McCORMICK TO MULTI-YEAR CONTRACT

BUFFALO, N.Y. (July 1, 2014) --- The Buffalo Sabres today announced that the team has signed forward Cody McCormick to a multi-year contract.

McCormick (6'2", 224 lbs., 4/18/83) returns to Buffalo for his fifth season with the Sabres after finishing the 2013-14 season with 14 games as a member of the Minnesota Wild. McCormick played in 14 regular-season games with the Wild in 2013-14 and 13 games in the Stanley Cup Playoffs. In his time with the Sabres, the London, Ontario native appeared in 168 regular-season games, totaling 29 points (10+19) and 253 penalty minutes.

In the course of his nine-season NHL career, McCormick has recorded 61 points (20+41) and 510 penalty minutes in 372 regular-season games. In 27 playoff games, he has tallied five points (2+3) and 37 penalty minutes.

McCormick is a decent penalty killer, a guy who will play the body, a fighter who will go with just about anyone, and a decent skater. I would take him over Scott or Ellis any day of the week. For the 2nd season in a row where it may become a challenge to drag myself to the FNC come January, February & March, his style of play is a welcome addition.

McCormick is a decent penalty killer, a guy who will play the body, a fighter who will go with just about anyone, and a decent skater. I would take him over Scott or Ellis any day of the week. For the 2nd season in a row where it may become a challenge to drag myself to the FNC come January, February & March, his style of play is a welcome addition.

I agree with this.

Well said. He's hockey player-ish. It would actually be fun to look back at his youth hockey days. He might have been pretty awesome. How do these guys end up as fighters?

I always thought that McCormick, if healthy, was the perfect fourth liner. Always plays hard, good size, will fight anyone, stick up for teammates, kill penalties, a tiny bit of actual skill so as not to be embarrassing.

meh. never a cody fan. at least money doesn't matter to us anymore, so we can send him back and forth to Rochester as needed. Torey Mitchell is better at everything than Cody

Except hitting and fighting but most fans don't care about either of those things

Except hitting and fighting but most fans don't care about either of those things

We didn't see much of mitchell. I think you will like what he brings. Cody is always willing to drop the gloves, and I applaud him for that, but he really shouldn't fight anymore. He's at risk of a concussion every time his head hits the pillow.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.