SIGNING: Sabres bring back Cody McCormick

Hoss

Does it matter? Unless they changed the definition of "two-way contract" in the last lockout, it just affects salary, not where he can play.

Two way would mean be doesn't have to clear waivers to move up and down. So that's a big difference.

Two way would mean be doesn't have to clear waivers to move up and down. So that's a big difference.

2 way means the contract pays less in the AHL. Unless a guy has played less than a deminimus, they all have to clear waivers to go down and it was my understanding that recall waivers are a thing of the past.

But above a certain $ amount, 1 way contract players in the AHL count against the salary cap. EDIT: That certain amount is that portion of the salary that is $375k over the league minimum.

Edited by Taro T

2 way means the contract pays less in the AHL. Unless a guy has played less than a deminimus, they all have to clear waivers to go down and it was my understanding that recall waivers are a thing of the past.

But above a certain $ amount, 1 way contract players in the AHL count against the salary cap.

The length of the deal and the money, while not exorbitant, would likely deter teams from claiming him on waivers if we need to send him up or down a couple times.

This is an old NHL '11 error. Two way affects salary only. Cody still has to clear waivers every time down, but 3 years at 1.5 seems like it will be just enough to prevent that from happening.

The length of the deal and the money, while not exorbitant, would likely deter teams from claiming him on waivers if we need to send him up or down a couple times.

Agreed. I'd be very surprised to see anyone pluck him off the waiver-wire he will almost assuredly be on.

Ladies and gentlemen, I present your 2014-2015 Ra-cha-cha Americans captain: Coodddddddyyyyyyy McccccccccCoooorrrrmmmmiiiiicccccckkkkkk. (I hope for his sake he gets some time on the parent squad but don't expect much.)

This is an old NHL '11 error. Two way affects salary only. Cody still has to clear waivers every time down, but 3 years at 1.5 seems like it will be just enough to prevent that from happening.

Weird, I didn't realize that that rule had changed. Thanks for the clarification guys.

Close. Players, once eligible for waivers, only have to reclear after having played 10 more NHL games that season.

Weird, I didn't realize that that rule had changed. Thanks for the clarification guys.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. They didn't change the rules. This was an error in the NHL 11 video game. Two-way always only applied to salary, it just also happens that a lot of guys on two way deals do not have the required age/games played to have to clear waivers.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. They didn't change the rules. This was an error in the NHL 11 video game. Two-way always only applied to salary, it just also happens that a lot of guys on two way deals do not have the required age/games played to have to clear waivers.

Oh. Yeah I didn't buy '11 so that one went over my head :lol:

Funny.

Mike Schopp

Looking back: the Sabres traded Moulson and McCormick for Mitchell, Gorges, a 2nd-round pick, Moulson and McCormick.

This is what makes me happy about this: GMTM (GAMETIME) clearly has a plan and is not afraid to go after it. Not the most exciting player but I do want to see whose feathers him and Kaleta could ruffle if they get paired on a line. Solid penalty killing if nothing else.

While I get the appeal of Cody (he was great in the playoffs against Boston), he is one light breeze away from another concussion.

Of the signings, this is my least favorite. Would have preferred Rupp, or (cringe) Thornton.

I'm with you and GoDD on this one. I've always liked Rupp's game. McCormick is a useful guy to have around though.

I like it simply for the fact that we finally played the old St Louis-Tkachuk game buy bringing back a guy we traded at the deadline.... and then we did it a second time. He's mostly filler, but when he does play, he'll be an effort guy who sends the right message to the younger guys. I'd love to see him reclaim his form from his first full season here, but those days are more than likely gone.

I just wonder what made Murray give McCormick 3 years. How quick do you think Cody signed this? I'd be fine if we nursed him along on a year by year basis.

It's my ignorance, but if this is a 2 way deal, is this just a nice way to say that you'll earn more for the 25 games you'll be up w/ the big club each year? If so, I'm fine with this deal. If not, it seems like a foolish signing.

I like it simply for the fact that we finally played the old St Louis-Tkachuk game buy bringing back a guy we traded at the deadline.... and then we did it a second time. He's mostly filler, but when he does play, he'll be an effort guy who sends the right message to the younger guys. I'd love to see him reclaim his form from his first full season here, but those days are more than likely gone.

The Sabres kind of traded Tkachuk for Hawerchuk...

I just wonder what made Murray give McCormick 3 years. How quick do you think Cody signed this? I'd be fine if we nursed him along on a year by year basis.

It's my ignorance, but if this is a 2 way deal, is this just a nice way to say that you'll earn more for the 25 games you'll be up w/ the big club each year? If so, I'm fine with this deal. If not, it seems like a foolish signing.

3 years at that salary makes him pretty much waiver proof. I'd bet good money that was the idea. He can be primarily a good influence in Roc that protects our assets down there and get called up as needed for the rough and tumble teams without fear of getting claimed on the way back down. I think its a great contract. And I am sure Cody loves it.

3 years at that salary makes him pretty much waiver proof. I'd bet good money that was the idea. He can be primarily a good influence in Roc that protects our assets down there and get called up as needed for the rough and tumble teams without fear of getting claimed on the way back down. I think its a great contract. And I am sure Cody loves it.

If that's the road we're giving him....I hope he's making a decent differential on the farm. Makes sense....thanks for the perspective. And I guess I don't view this contract nearly as badly as I did initially.

We'll said, weave.

Huh ?

During the 1990 NHL Entry Draft, Hawerchuk was involved in a blockbuster trade. Along with Winnipeg's 1st round choice (Brad May) in the draft, he was dealt to the Buffalo Sabres in exchange for Phil Housley, Scott Arniel, Jeff Parker and Buffalo's 1st round choice (Keith Tkachuk).

During the 1990 NHL Entry Draft, Hawerchuk was involved in a blockbuster trade. Along with Winnipeg's 1st round choice (Brad May) in the draft, he was dealt to the Buffalo Sabres in exchange for Phil Housley, Scott Arniel, Jeff Parker and Buffalo's 1st round choice (Keith Tkachuk).

For some reason I recall the Hawerchuck - Houlsey trade as a separate deal from the May - Tkachuk draft choice swap. Mebbe I was incorrect?

ETA- The interwebs say I mis-remembered. May pick for Tkachuk pick was swapped.

Edited by weave

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.