SIGNING: Sabres bring back Cody McCormick

Hoss

During the 1990 NHL Entry Draft, Hawerchuk was involved in a blockbuster trade. Along with Winnipeg's 1st round choice (Brad May) in the draft, he was dealt to the Buffalo Sabres in exchange for Phil Housley, Scott Arniel, Jeff Parker and Buffalo's 1st round choice (Keith Tkachuk).

True but the Sabres ended up w/ the earlier pick so THEY PASSED ON TKACHUK AND TOOK MAY instead. :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: (Note: the :wallbash: es were for the Sabres, not you.)

Hard to consider that a case of the Jets getting Tkachuk as part of the deal. They were pretty much getting him regardless.

Interesting aside: Arniel & Ducks were best man in each other's wedding and Arniel sold him on coming to Buffalo. They thought they'd both be in Buffalo together. :doh:

Edited by Taro T

3 years at that salary makes him pretty much waiver proof. I'd bet good money that was the idea. He can be primarily a good influence in Roc that protects our assets down there and get called up as needed for the rough and tumble teams without fear of getting claimed on the way back down. I think its a great contract. And I am sure Cody loves it.

Good call.

Cody is happy to be home.

http://www.buffaloho...ffalo-its-home/

From the article: "Even after the Sabres’ 30th-place finish last season, McCormick believes 'the playoffs are something we can go after.'” This right here is why I'm glad he's back. Granted, I don't think we'll make the playoffs this year, but this is the attitude I want around the young guys.

Another guy who wants to be in Buffalo.

Should we be giving the Pegulas some credit for at least doing good work in this area?

Credit for meddling with the players heads? Probably using some combination of Jedi mind trick and blackmail? I don't think so

(For Tank's benefit - i'm being sarcastic :P)

Okay guys as much as I like Cody let's keep in mind that he's basically a temp worker in the NHL. Of course he loves Buffalo.

He was traded for assets 4 months ago.

He has NHL value. The contract may be intentionally rich to protect waivers, but he has NHL value.

And he indicated that he had offers elsewhere too. IMO he is a cruiser weight version of Thornton. I'm glad he's back in the fold. If he makes the opening day roster I'm changing my avatar back.

Should we be giving the Pegulas some credit for at least doing good work in this area?

Absolutely. Now if the tank is an abject failure in four years and the Cody McCormick types are the only players who will come here, then all bets are off.

I got in an argument with some guy about this...he wanted Ott instead, "because he scores more goals and is a better fighter."

I proceeded to show how McCormick had a better shooting percentage last year, and is 2-3 inches taller and 20-30 pounds heavier.

He then went on explaining how the Sabres should send down Girgensons, so we don't rush his development.

At that point I realized I had nowhere to run with that debate, so I gave up.

(I wish I could find that and copy/paste it here...it would REALLY add a little comedy to your day.)

Did you seriously use shooting percentage as a positive for a guy who scored 2 goals?

Not to mention, using a single season shooting percentage is how David Clarkson contracts happen.

McCormick only had 26 shots on goal total last year... Ott had 127.

You came within spitting distance of using Corsi. BURN HIM!

One of the best guys in the world.

While that might be laudable in every day life, that characteristic is pretty low on the totem pole of player evaluation for me.

I couldn't care if he bullied and slapped around every taxi driver in Buffalo, and gave the middle finger to disabled kids looking for his autograph, as long as he can deliver on the ice consistently for us.

I'd like to, but...

Okay guys as much as I like Cody let's keep in mind that he's basically a temp worker in the NHL. Of course he loves Buffalo.

Beat me to it.

He was traded for assets 4 months ago.

He has NHL value. The contract may be intentionally rich to protect waivers, but he has NHL value.

That is a highly Clintonian description of that trade.

And he indicated that he had offers elsewhere too. IMO he is a cruiser weight version of Thornton. I'm glad he's back in the fold. If he makes the opening day roster I'm changing my avatar back.

Perhaps, but I doubt he had any other multi-year, one-way offers.

That is a highly Clintonian description of that trade.

You think he was "taken off our hands"?

He played all 13 playoff games for the Wild and even scored a goal.

They WANTED him. I understand he's a limited 4th line player, but he added some measurable (to the wild) value to that trade.

Also interestingly, he took only 1 minor penalty in the playoffs despite being 3rd on the team in hits. (behind stoner and neideriter (sp?))

That's strength and grit combined with discipline.

You think he was "taken off our hands"?

He played all 13 playoff games for the Wild and even scored a goal.

They WANTED him. I understand he's a limited 4th line player, but he added some measurable (to the wild) value to that trade.

Also interestingly, he took only 1 minor penalty in the playoffs despite being 3rd on the team in hits. (behind stoner and neideriter (sp?))

That's strength and grit combined with discipline.

I don't disagree with any of this, but I think he is fairly characterized as a throw-in in the Moulson trade. Your description made it sound like the Sabres received identifiable assets for him, which simply isn't the case.

I don't disagree with any of this, but I think he is fairly characterized as a throw-in in the Moulson trade. Your description made it sound like the Sabres received identifiable assets for him, which simply isn't the case.

Ah, My intention was to say that he has NHL value and we are not the only team that agrees with that assessment.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.