Around the NHL: 2014-2015

LGR4GM

I'm of the opinion that this whole season was for naught as Toronto will end up with McDavid and Yotes will end up with Eichel.   The league NEEDS McDavid in Toronto and they NEED Eichel in Zona to save the flagship franchise and the leaky boat franchise.

The league can (theoretically) fix the lottery (i.e., who gets McDavid), but not who gets the second pick.  If you assume a fix is in, then whoever finishes 30th gets Eichel.  There's a chance that's Arizona (sure looked like it at the trade deadline), but they have two teams to pass and Edmonton is making it hard enough for the Sabres to stay below, much less for the 'Yotes to pass them.

Edited by carpandean

The league can (theoretically) fix the lottery (i.e., who gets McDavid), but not who gets the second pick.  If you assume a fix is in, then whoever finishes 30th gets Eichel.  There's a chance that's Arizona (sure looked like it at the trade deadline), but they have two teams to pass and Edmonton is making it hard enough for the Sabres to stay below, much less for the 'Yotes to pass them.

My money is on the Yotes to finish lower than the Sabres and the Leafs win the lottery

I guess it never dawned on me the low total of the league leader in points. This will be the first time since 2003 the leader will have less than 100 points. And unless somebody can top St.Louis's 94 points in 2003-04 it will be the lowest total in the modern era. 

http://www.bov.ch/hockey/fscorers.html

I guess it never dawned on me the low total of the league leader in points. This will be the first time since 2003 the leader will have less than 100 points. And unless somebody can top St.Louis's 94 points in 2003-04 it will be the lowest total in the modern era. 

Interesting.  Current NHL Stats leaders.... tight race with Tavares in the lead with 72P: http://www.nhl.com/stats/leaders?navid=nav-sts-league#

It's because there are so many great tenders like Lindback, Hackett, and Johnson.

Joe Thornton, has always been a quiet unassuming future hall of famer.  But, his General Manager really has been a gigantic douche to him.  Joe Thornton is not the greatest playoff performer, but several aren't.  He's done nothing but play hard his entire career.  So good for you Mr. Thornton.  

Simple question for everyone, is the East finally better than the West? Sure the Central is loaded with St.Louis, Chicago, Nashville, Minnesota, and WPG, but the Pacific is far from a great division, with Calgary being an emerging team, the Ducks a great regular season team with playoff woes, and the Kings the exact opposite of the Ducks.

The East holds the two best teams points wise and, perhaps more importantly, defensively as well in the Canadians and Rangers. The East also holds the two best offensive squads, with the Isles and Lightening.

There are five teams with 88+ points in the East, all of which have a realistic shot at finishing with 100+ points, whereas there are only 3 in the West. 

With the exception of Pekke Rinne, the best goalies are hands-down in the East.

Nashville is crashing, and is not a team built for the playoffs. The Kings, Blackhawks (provided Kane returns), and St.Louis, IMO, the only real threats in the West. I'll believe the Ducks when I see it.

The East otoh has the Rags, Bruins, Canadiens, and Caps as legitimate contenders. The Rags are easily the best overall team of that group, and will only get better when Lundqvist comes back. The Bruins are on fire right now, and as a big team with great goaltending, they are a threat in the playoffs. The Kreji injury puts a serious damper in their hopes, but I wouldn't count them out. The Lightening are still unproven and a little speed-drive/soft for my liking. Caps play a very physical game, and Ovechkin seems to have found an ability to play some defense; my concern their is they rely heavily on the pp, something that isn't really a factor in May-June. The Canadiens' major flaw is, of course, their lack of scoring. Teams in the west figured out all we have to do is smother Pacioretty and go with a hard forecheck on Subban and we can neutralize their two best players. The Pens...well again, I'll believe MAF when I see it. They get frustrated easily, and will get murdered by a team like the Rags if they meet in the playoffs. 

So tl;dr, is the East better than the West?

No. The west is still better because it still has the best teams.

The cup-winner will come from the west.

It is changing though as the Sharks, Canucks and (probably) Kings lose ground and only the Preds emerge.

Montreal, Tampa and NYI are emerging in the east, with only Boston on the decline.

It is changing though as the Sharks, Canucks and (probably) Kings lose ground and only the Preds emerge.

Montreal, Tampa and NYI are emerging in the east, with only Boston on the decline.

I disagree. I think the Rangers win the cup this year, beating St.Louis or Chicago in 7.

The Penguins just might be the most easily rattled team I have ever watched. You'd think after 5 years of the opposition getting under their skin and then sitting back to watch them self-destruct, that the Pens might figure it out after a while. 

The Penguins just might be the most easily rattled team I have ever watched. You'd think after 5 years of the opposition getting under their skin and then sitting back to watch them self-destruct, that the Pens might figure it out after a while. 

They sure got spanked today.

It's almost like Marc-Andre Fluery sucks too.  

It's almost like Marc-Andre Fluery sucks too.

It's a good thing he does. Imagine how stacked Shittsburgh would be if they had selected Eric Staal instead of Fleury. They probably never would have traded Jordan Staal either so they could've possibly had a center lineup of Crosby, Malkin, Staal, and Staal or traded one of those guys for a plethora of good players to fill out the rest of their roster.

Edited by Drunkard

I think Montreal can do this thing.

Yeah, Guy LaFleur sucked.

Gerry Desjardins wasn't anything either.

Nice references!

Can't believe was rooting Hurricanes over BJs but at least they won making Sabres closer to shart trophy.

Never root against BJs.... I mean, unless you're not into that sort of thing.   ;)

Preds - Kings last night was like a playoff game.  Two heavyweights going at it.  Very physical game.  Preds - Ducks is about to start.  Top two teams in the West going at it.  Preds need this one with St. Louis right on their heels in the Central.

Tons of momentum towards adding a 3-3 portion of OT to NHL games in 2015-2016

I get the sense in talking to a number of the [general managers] there is a real desire to have more games end without the shootout," said a Western Conference GM. "Now, we've got basically a year of data in the American league that shows the 3-on-3 has helped do that. Everyone will give a personal opinion of if they like it visually, but you can't argue that more games are ending in overtime."

Nope, that argument is dead. In data provided by the AHL, just 5.6 percent of games this season (through March 3) in the league have ended in the shootout, which is down dramatically from 15.6 percent last season. Of the games that remain tied after regulation, 18.6 percent are decided in overtime, compared to just 8.5 percent last season.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/12489968/nhl-gms-meetings-discuss-adding-3-3-ot-enhanced-instant-replay

Edited by WildComrade

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.