Around the NHL: 2014-2015

LGR4GM

Not sure if it has been discussed yet, so I apologize if it has been.

The Norris Trophy nominees have been announced by the NHL.  Again, the NHL has gone with 3 offensive Dmen, although Doughty is pretty well rounded.

Anyway, it is time for me to restart my campaign to have a new award / trophy for the NHL's best defensive Dman.  The Rod Langway Trophy.

John Buccigross is doing a bit of a Q&A on Twitter right now... I don't believe he really has that much inside info and he can get a bit annoying with his hockey terms and whatnot, but some interesting stuff:

-Says Jack Eichel will have 51 points next year, McDavid 70

-Leafs will end up with Hanifin at 4 and he will return to BC

-Patrick Kane will be a Sabre in 3-5 years

-Jack Capuano will get canned if John Tavares wants him to be

-The Rangers will try to trade Talbot this offseason

-The Red Wings will try to trade Howard

-60% chance Babcock leaves Detroit

Again, Buccigross doesn't seem to have a whole lot of connections. This might all be opinion. He's shown he knows the college hockey game well, though.

John Buccigross is doing a bit of a Q&A on Twitter right now... I don't believe he really has that much inside info and he can get a bit annoying with his hockey terms and whatnot, but some interesting stuff:

-Patrick Kane will be a Sabre in 3-5 years

KaneWTF.gif?resize=616%2C356

Nothing against you Hoss, but Bucci is full of if he thinks that's happening.

As for the rest of it, I think Eichel and McDavid have better seasons than that, the percentage on Babcock leaving Detroit seems a bit high, but I can believe the Howard-Talbot trades and Hanifin returning. I don't know enough about the Isles to comment on Capuano's future

KaneWTF.gif?resize=616%2C356

Nothing against you Hoss, but Bucci is full of ###### if he thinks that's happening.

As for the rest of it, I think Eichel and McDavid have better seasons than that, the percentage on Babcock leaving Detroit seems a bit high, but I can believe the Howard-Talbot trades and Hanifin returning. I don't know enough about the Isles to comment on Capuano's future

I do not think Chicago can sustain the Kane/Toews contracts long term if the cap doesn't shoot up like they expect. But I also don't think it must be Buffalo if he's moved. There are 28 other teams that would love him.

On Babcock: it's clear he wants to see what's out there... Will be interesting to see if he takes it.

On Hanifin: he's not the only one saying he's going back to college. It seems like most in the know with college hockey expect it.

On Howard: I think it's a definite that they try to trade him. Mrazek is their guy going forward, I think.

On Talbot: I think they put it out there that he can be had for a high price. If somebody gets a little silly on a trade then he's theirs. Lundqvist is still among the best in the game and there's no reason to hold on to an asset that likely plays 20 games a year when you can find somebody else to do that while picking up solid assets to fit in elsewhere.

I do not think Chicago can sustain the Kane/Toews contracts long term if the cap doesn't shoot up like they expect. But I also don't think it must be Buffalo if he's moved. There are 28 other teams that would love him.

On Babcock: it's clear he wants to see what's out there... Will be interesting to see if he takes it.

On Hanifin: he's not the only one saying he's going back to college. It seems like most in the know with college hockey expect it.

On Howard: I think it's a definite that they try to trade him. Mrazek is their guy going forward, I think.

On Talbot: I think they put it out there that he can be had for a high price. If somebody gets a little silly on a trade then he's theirs. Lundqvist is still among the best in the game and there's no reason to hold on to an asset that likely plays 20 games a year when you can find somebody else to do that while picking up solid assets to fit in elsewhere.

It's not that I couldn't see Kane moving out of Chicago, though I'm not sure it's above 50%, it's more so how we would afford him. Seems in 3-5 years all of our young guns will be seeking some solid contracts, no? 

It's not that I couldn't see Kane moving out of Chicago, though I'm not sure it's above 50%, it's more so how we would afford him. Seems in 3-5 years all of our young guns will be seeking some solid contracts, no?

They'll likely want to turn Kane into multiple assets if they end up moving him that soon. So two or three guys equalling his number could get it done. But it's not really worth discussing since I think it's pretty farfetched and far off.

I'll chime in on Hanifin.  BCs top guys do tend to stick around for a few years.  They've had a lot of highly regarded 1st round guys, granted none as high as Hanifiin will go, and they tend to stick around for a few years.  Combine that with the more steep learning curve for a defenseman and it does seem like a good chance that he'll stay at BC.

Are there 28 other teams he'd waive his NMC for? (I assume he has one)

I thought we had a thread for this but I couldn't find it... So on NBC Sports the US Sled Hockey team is taking on Italy (it's a replay) but it is at Harbor Center and I gotta say this is really entertaining to watch.

I caught a little of the game against Germany and was pleasantly surprised. The skill set they have to master is quite fascinating.

I thought we had a thread for this but I couldn't find it... So on NBC Sports the US Sled Hockey team is taking on Italy (it's a replay) but it is at Harbor Center and I gotta say this is really entertaining to watch.  

Anyone who has a chance to watch sled hockey live--please go for it!  It's really, really neat.  Same rules as regular hockey, plus one penalty for "teeing," which is exactly what it sounds like.  (Can't make a T with your sled into an opponent's sled.)  The players are fierce and it's a great game.

Vrbata is rumoured to be available , canucks want to get younger,need draft picks and have cap issues.  

Seeing our glaring need at RW i wonder what it would take.

Edit: doubt the canucks would trade to only player that can keep up with the sedins though.

Edited by Heimdall

Vrbata is rumoured to be available , canucks want to get younger,need draft picks and have cap issues.

Edit: doubt the canucks would trade to only player that can keep up with the sedins though.

NFW

I loved him here in PHX.  

Not his touch as much as his ammo. 

The Kovalchuk deal cost him a draft picks, players,  and his teams cap structure which left Parise vulnerable to offers.

Oh and Marty B got old. 

I don't know about that lost draft picks part.  The league really F'ed that one up.  All they lost was a 3rd round pick.  As for Parise, I don't think they ever had much of a chance there anyway.  He was in that same boat as Vanek where everyone knew that eventually he'd wind up exactly where he is now.

Your last point is the big one to me.  Their star player got old and they were never able to find new stars (longterm anyway, ie. Kovalchuk).  People will argue with this one, but star power is what drives this league right now.  Without a few, a team isn't going anywhere.

I don't know about that lost draft picks part.  The league really F'ed that one up.  All they lost was a 3rd round pick.  As for Parise, I don't think they ever had much of a chance there anyway.  He was in that same boat as Vanek where everyone knew that eventually he'd wind up exactly where he is now.

Your last point is the big one to me.  Their star player got old and they were never able to find new stars (longterm anyway, ie. Kovalchuk).  People will argue with this one, but star power is what drives this league right now.  Without a few, a team isn't going anywhere.

The Blues come to mind.  Incredibly solid team top to bottom, but Pietrangelo and Tarasenko are the closest thing they have to stars.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.