Around the NHL: 2014-2015

LGR4GM

Sounds like the Oilers will be holding a presser tomorrow to introduce Chiarelli as part of their front office.

Also sounds like Sharks GM Wilson will not be fired (which I agree with. They've done such a good job at gathering talent there in San Jose. Get a good coach and get the room back, then win)

Edited by Hoss

Sounds like the Oilers will be holding a presser tomorrow to introduce Chiarelli as part of their front office.

Also sounds like Sharks GM Wilson will not be fired (which I agree with. They've done such a good job at gathering talent there in San Jose. Get a good coach and get the room back, then win)

San Jose needs to do more than McLellan. Marleau or Thornton needs to be moved.

Chiarelli will be pres of hockey ops or something similar

I agree with the first. Disagree with the second. They need to make a big move with one of their top forwards, yes. I can't say that it definitely has to be Marleau/Thornton. They will need to add some talent and you may only get prospects and picks there.

They don't need a full tear down. Pavelski, Couture, Burns and a few others are great pieces to start with. Thornton seems prepared to just sit there and refuse any trades so it's tough to move him.

San Jose is a franhcise that needs more of a reboot than a rebuild. I'd keep the coach and move out Marleau and Thornton as you said. San Jose looks like a situation that can be fixed quickly. 

San Jose is a franhcise that needs more of a reboot than a rebuild. I'd keep the coach and move out Marleau and Thornton as you said. San Jose looks like a situation that can be fixed quickly. 

The joy of those No Movement Clauses. They seem to like living there, and don't seem ready to go anywhere. 

The joy of those No Movement Clauses. They seem to like living there, and don't seem ready to go anywhere. 

I would have to think they do see the writing on the wall. Ownership should make it clear to both that at least one will not be playng for the Sharks in 2015-16 even if it means an outright release.

I forgot about Forsberg.  That's neat.   I saw very little of Stone this year.  What kind of player is he?

He really turned it on in the second half.  As many points as Gaudreau, and more goals. I don't think Ottawa makes the playoffs without him.

Not only did Forsberg not finish in the top 3 -- he wasn't top 4. Finished 5th in voting. Not sure who was 4th, maybe John Klingberg?

To me it's one of the two forwards (I would've had Forsberg in the conversation, too, but he's not a finalist).

What Ekblad did was 19 is awesome, but Klingberg had more points in far less games. Neither made the playoffs and their statlines were so close that you can barely differentiate the two. Stone's success correlates with Ottawa's huge run, so you could say he was the MVP of a playoff team (if you ignore Erik Karlsson's existence). Gaudreau was part of a huge youth group in Calgary that pushed them into the playoffs... Exciting little guy. Has hype on his side.

I think Ekblad wins it, but I would've picked Stone.

Not only did Forsberg not finish in the top 3 -- he wasn't top 4. Finished 5th in voting. Not sure who was 4th, maybe John Klingberg?

To me it's one of the two forwards (I would've had Forsberg in the conversation, too, but he's not a finalist).

What Ekblad did was 19 is awesome, but Klingberg had more points in far less games. Neither made the playoffs and their statlines were so close that you can barely differentiate the two. Stone's success correlates with Ottawa's huge run, so you could say he was the MVP of a playoff team (if you ignore Erik Karlsson the Hamburgler 's existence). Gaudreau was part of a huge youth group in Calgary that pushed them into the playoffs... Exciting little guy. Has hype on his side.

I think Ekblad wins it, but I would've picked Stone.

Fixed it for ya. ;)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.