Around the NHL: 2014-2015

LGR4GM

I like Arizona's a lot right now, it's one of my favorite in the league.

The Isle's and Duck's could be interesting, though again I like the Ducks and Colorado's 3rds as they are right now. I imagine the Duck's will throw back to the Mighty era

On Arizona: completely agree. Their logo is top five and their jerseys are nice, too. Disappointed in that news.

Also, I'm not sure what the Ducks plans are. An orange alternate? Continuation of the throwback?

Here is the story.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/andre-deveaux-s-arrest-ordered-after-on-ice-attack-in-sweden-1.3016543

I love how they, even in Sweden, have to say "wanted on suspicion of assault".

Maybe it was someone else in disguise wearing Deveaux's jersey.  The other thing I took away from that story is that somehow he was allowed to play in the game.  What a joke.

I'm seeing rumors that Byfuglien's hearing will be telephonic.  

Looks like it.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/dustin-byfuglien-gets-hearing-for-cross-check-on-j-t-miller-1.3017895

Means a 5 game maximum, right?

I saw the hit.  He should be suspended for the rest of the season and playoffs at a minimum, IMO.  Vicious and I don't mean Sid.

Looks like it.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/dustin-byfuglien-gets-hearing-for-cross-check-on-j-t-miller-1.3017895

Means a 5 game maximum, right?

I saw the hit.  He should be suspended for the rest of the season and playoffs at a minimum, IMO.  Vicious and I don't mean Sid.

Birthday Drugs?

I agree, but because no injury, lighter suspension.

Have never figured that out...why outcome matters so much more than intent.

Crosscheck to the back of the neck?  Whatever, who cares.

Idiots.

Gotta wait until someone is paralyzed first, you know?

Also, I'm sick of all the "keep him down" crosschecking in front of the net to begin with.  If refs start calling those minors as they should be, this hit is less likely to happen.

Gotta wait until someone is paralyzed first, you know?

Also, I'm sick of all the "keep him down" crosschecking in front of the net to begin with. If refs start calling those minors as they should be, this hit is less likely to happen.

Exactly. Some say that they don't want to see every penalty that happens called because it will slow down the game, but over time it will even out. Players will stop committing the penalties if the rules are enforced and scoring will benefit because they have to actually find a way to legally defend.

Exactly. Some say that they don't want to see every penalty that happens called because it will slow down the game, but over time it will even out. Players will stop committing the penalties if the rules are enforced and scoring will benefit because they have to actually find a way to legally defend.

Ah, 2006.  How much I miss those salad days.

It was a good essay.. two small problems.

1. He neglects to call out football as a game that can end in a tie.  It is far more physical than basketball and baseball and they get a week off between games.

2. He chooses to reject the basis of the loser point, which is, the standings remain closer together generating more interest in the final outcome of the season.

Other than that I loved his statistics and ideas.

It was a good essay.. two small problems.

1. He neglects to call out football as a game that can end in a tie.  It is far more physical than basketball and baseball and they get a week off between games.

2. He chooses to reject the basis of the loser point, which is, the standings remain closer together generating more interest in the final outcome of the season.

Other than that I loved his statistics and ideas.

Towards the bottom of the essay he does mention that football occasionally ends in a tie.

Agree that the reason for the LP is to keep the standings bunched, so it isn't going away anytime soon, if ever.  Which is unfortunate.

Towards the bottom of the essay he does mention that football occasionally ends in a tie.

Agree that the reason for the LP is to keep the standings bunched, so it isn't going away anytime soon, if ever.  Which is unfortunate.

Hmm I missed that part.  I know up top it wasn't that the game ends in a tie, I misspoke, it was that the basketball and baseball play indefinitely and until there is a winner.  Thanks for the catch.  I still prefer his approach.  I hate ties and while I don't mind the shootout I hate the loser point.

Agree that the reason for the LP is to keep the standings bunched, so it isn't going away anytime soon, if ever. Which is unfortunate.

As anyone done a study on how standings would be different in a 3-2-1 format?

I understand outcomes may be different if 3 points available for win in regulation , but just curious.

As anyone done a study on how standings would be different in a 3-2-1 format?

I understand outcomes may be different if 3 points available for win in regulation , but just curious.

Ignoring the effect you mention in the second line (which, really, you cannot), the standings wouldn't be much different.  Basically the good teams would end up more ahead, but still at the top, and the bad teams would end up more behind, but still at the bottom.  The ordering of the middle four or five teams in each conference would likely change, but that's about it.  Honestly, any reasonably "fair" system is going to result in about the same standing over an 82 game season.  The teams that would be most affected would also be affected by making it a 72 or 92 game season.

That said, the effect you mention, even if it wouldn't affect the standings much, would likely have an effect on the actual game play at the end of tied games.  Plus, it's wouldn't hurt my sense of logic.

Edited by carpandean

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.