Around the NHL: 2014-2015

LGR4GM

Well there was Richard Gere but I think that was a movie. My first thought was Ivan Boesky

Boesky ratted Milken out. Boesky was just scummy, where Milken had a valid theory and sharp eye. He just got greedy. Milken and the boys at KKR who were Pegula's partners on his deal, had a little game of Liability Hot Potato going on.

It's funny that Weave used Darcy as an example. In business, it is just the opposite. A guy like Milken would identify a guy like Darcy at the helm, then come in and swoop the whole thing up because he is such a puss that mismanages assets and is only worried about his own outlook. That's the main reason I called Darcy a weasel from day 1. You see enough weasels, you know their favorite hiding spots.

What a game going on between the Pens and Flyers right now. Just like the old days. Fights, dirty hits etc. Farnham just got punched hard in the chin and knocked down, but he ended up on top of Bellemare with no linesman to break them up. He could have destroyed Bellemare while he was down, but he skated away. I don't know how Farnham wasn't initially knocked out cold. I also don't know how Del Zotto wasn't tossed from the game from a dirty charging penalty. Leaves his feet and leads with an elbow to the head. Only gets a two minute minor.

Edited by Claude Balls

"Hey"

"What's up?"

"We're currently on one of the worst stretches in franchise history and really need to make a move. What should our first move be?"

"Let's extend a consistently disappointing player who doesn't appear prepared to contribute to the solution."

"Good idea, Future Unemployed Guy 1."

"I thought so too, Future Unemployed Guy 2."

@RealKyper: #Leafs start cont' negotiations with Kadri on potential long term deal. Leafs in ballpark of 5 yrs 22.5M. May not be enough to buy #UFA yrs

Sounding like next season's outdoor games will be:

Montreal in Boston.

Chicago in Minnesota.

Detroit in Colorado.

Seriously? It's the same teams. Minnesota and Colorado are new, but their opponents are more of the same. Why not Dallas in Minnesota? St. Louis?

During the Leafs/Canes Debacle (Well Debacle if you follow the Leafs) they said that Sekera is easily a top 4 defencemen on good NHL teams

And I agree with it. I think Sekera has turned into a very solid second-pairing dman. He wasn't that consistently here, but he's been that in Carolina. He's become a more willing defender there.

And I agree with it. I think Sekera has turned into a very solid second-pairing dman. He wasn't that consistently here, but he's been that in Carolina. He's become a more willing defender there.

It's too much for him. $5 mil/y, maybe, depending on how bad you need a defender. But as soon as you start getting near $6 m/y you're hitting Duncan Keith, Karlsson status, or legit number 1 pairing d-man. Sekera cannot do that on a good team. I agree he can be a number 4 guy, but I don't think he's anywhere near worth $6 mil/y

Edited by WildCard

It's too much for him. $5 mil/y, maybe, depending on how bad you need a defender. But as soon as you start getting near $6 m/y you're hitting Duncan Keith, Karlsson status, or legit number 1 pairing d-man. Sekera cannot do that on a good team. I agree he can be a number 4 guy, but I don't think he's anywhere near worth $6 mil/y

Keith signed a 13-year deal in 2010. His deal isn't even legal in the new CBA so it's hard to throw it out there. If Crosby took $5M a year then is it fair to say that Malkin can't be paid more than $4.5M? Karlsson is at $6.5M which is still well below what he would get on the market. $5.5M a year is a fine number as long as it's the right team.

How many 1st pairing defencemen are there?

We're soon to be a 32-team league, but we still slot players like it's 1978.

Same with 1st line centres

Which is why the NHL should be contracting rather than expanding. There is not enough talent to go around as it is. The Sabres have ten or more players that have no business being on any NHL team, and every team has one or two of them.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.