Around the NHL: 2014-2015

LGR4GM

Interesting thoughts from Pierre LeBrun:

http://espn.go.com/b...o-player-safety

Suggests changing the names of trophies from former owners to legendary players. His ideas:

Hart (MVP) --> Gretzky

Art Ross (points leader) --> Howe

Norris (d-man) --> Orr

Calder (rookie) --> Lemieux

Lady Byng (sportsmanship) --> Beliveau

Selke (d forward) --> Gainey

Jack Adams (coach) --> Scott Bowman

I know traditionalists will hate this idea. I also understand that these are named after some of the "builders" of the game. But I like the idea of renaming some, like the Norris for Orr. Gretzky on the MVP makes sense. Calder should go to Selanne instead, but it's too early for that.

It's sorta like when I go back to my college and see that some of the buildings and performance halls are now named after the teachers I had.

I like it.

Suggests changing the names of trophies from former owners to legendary players. His ideas:

Hart (MVP) --> Gretzky

Norris (d-man) --> Orr

I know traditionalists will hate this idea. I also understand that these are named after some of the "builders" of the game. But I like the idea of renaming some, like the Norris for Orr. Gretzky on the MVP makes sense. Calder should go to Selanne instead, but it's too early for that.

Why? If someone could actually come up with a good reason why other than because I would be impressed.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/33126/rumblings-time-to-update-names-of-major-awards-additions-to-player-safety

Hart (MVP) --> Gretzky

Norris (d-man) --> Orr

I'm assuming there would not be retroactive? Would be odd saying something like "Wayne Gretzky, winner of four Gretzkys..."

Hart (MVP) --> Gretzky

Norris (d-man) --> Orr

Call me a traditionalist because I don't like it at all. I'm not over the Wales and Campbell conference names being changed much less Adams, Smythe, Patrick, and Norris division names.

There is something cool about learning what the men attached to those names did in their hockey careers. After all, the league didn't start when the Oilers drafted Gretzky.

Call me a traditionalist because I don't like it at all. I'm not over the Wales and Campbell conference names being changed much less Adams, Smythe, Patrick, and Norris division names.

There is something cool about learning what the men attached to those names did in their hockey careers. After all, the league didn't start when the Oilers drafted Gretzky.

I agree.

Here, here. Adams forever, Atlantic never.

:huh:

When did the Eulers draft Gretzky? :unsure:

Hart (MVP) --> Gretzky

Norris (d-man) --> Orr

Oh hell no.

Right on, except...

:huh:

When did the Eulers draft Gretzky? :unsure:

Indy drafted Gretzky.

I agree. I also believe we have nothing to worry about. This idea will never get enough support.

Sorry no Linky, but there's a nice personal interest piece on Miller on ESPN.com. He and his wife are having a (Canadian) baby, evidently. Also, he's won 10 games already.

How?

Does Ryan Miller play better when pregnant? My story at 11.

Leave me out of this.

Edited by Eleven

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.