Free Agent Frenzy 2014

Hoss

I wish I was as optimistic. But 10 points better is about all I can hope for. That Oct-Nov schedule is not a practice friendly slate that a young team needs.

I don't see them winning more than 7 games.

Nolan has his work cut out for him.

We'll see what Timmy does over the summer, but I picked 14 points for more important reasons.

This year, it was the difference between 29 and 30.

Edited by dudacek

IMO I don't see any way how you can spin what's in store for this season as entertaining on the whole. Losing is never fun or entertaining to me, but it can be acceptable with an eye towards a brighter future. One more ###### sandwich to force down.

The issue is that they don't have to do what the fans want just like the fans don't have to buy tickets. Of course that's a ###### way to do business that doesn't work well for either side, but it's likely the route taken this season.

Well, in reality, many fans want the team to suck.

Not trying the season as a whole must be entertaining, but the games individually need to be entertaining. I'm not willing to watch another game that plays like it was under Rolston's tenure. Nolan helps a ton, but we'd still need an Ott/Callahan to give us more than the youngsters to watch.

So, whatever happened to pride? So, Sabre fans (those with and without season tix) are going to be asked to watch their team play another atrocious season of hockey for a 1 in 4 chance they will get the first overall pick (providing another team doesn't tank more than they do)? Let's take a quick look at your 2013-2014 Stanley Cup champs, the LA Kings. On their roster, they have 10 first round picks - five of their own choosing and five that came in as trades/FAs. The five players they picked themselves were selected 2nd, 11th, 13th, 17th and 30th overall. The players who were picked by other teams were selected 3rd, 11th, 19th, 24th and 28th overall. So, a two-time Cup championship team has two players, that's just TWO that were picked higher than 11th overall. Is it really worth watching this team embarrass themselves AND the City of Buffalo for another season just for a 25% chance they may get the first overall pick?

Ben Franklin said "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

Draft smart.

Makes trades.

Sign quality free agents.

Demand a honorable effort from your players every game.

That's how you start a rebuild.

So, whatever happened to pride? So, Sabre fans (those with and without season tix) are going to be asked to watch their team play another atrocious season of hockey for a 1 in 4 chance they will get the first overall pick (providing another team doesn't tank more than they do)? Let's take a quick look at your 2013-2014 Stanley Cup champs, the LA Kings. On their roster, they have 10 first round picks - five of their own choosing and five that came in as trades/FAs. The five players they picked themselves were selected 2nd, 11th, 13th, 17th and 30th overall. The players who were picked by other teams were selected 3rd, 11th, 19th, 24th and 28th overall. So, a two-time Cup championship team has two players, that's just TWO that were picked higher than 11th overall. Is it really worth watching this team embarrass themselves AND the City of Buffalo for another season just for a 25% chance they may get the first overall pick?

Ben Franklin said "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

Draft smart.

Makes trades.

Sign quality free agents.

Demand a honorable effort from your players every game.

That's how you start a rebuild.

Spare me the pride argument. Just because you disagree with the approach some of us favor doesn't mean you're somehow morally superior.

The Kings also used a #3 overall (Jack Johnson) and #5 overall (Brayden Schenn) to bring in two huge components to their championship teams--Carter and Richards. Your chances of getting NHL players are astronomically higher at the top of the draft. Keep 'em, trade 'em, whatever; but that's where you get the talent.

So, whatever happened to pride? So, Sabre fans (those with and without season tix) are going to be asked to watch their team play another atrocious season of hockey for a 1 in 4 chance they will get the first overall pick (providing another team doesn't tank more than they do)?

Yes, and just because the team might ask you to watch and support them during this tank/rebuild, you are more than free not to. I think the Sabres have been as clear as they can without outright saying it, that this season will another tank. And for the millionth time, while the #1 pick would of course be ideal next year... IT'S NOT THE BE ALL, END ALL OF THE TANKING PHILOSOPHY.

You're going to see trades in an effort to acquire more NHL ready young talent, possibly as soon as next week. When the time comes I think they will once again pursue marquee FA's. But now is still the time for tanking. We have a refreshingly blunt GM now who has told the fans time and again that this is the plan.

Yes, and just because the team might ask you to watch and support them during this tank/rebuild, you are more than free not to. I think the Sabres have been as clear as they can without outright saying it, that this season will another tank. And for the millionth time, while the #1 pick would of course be ideal next year... IT'S NOT THE BE ALL, END ALL OF THE TANKING PHILOSOPHY.

You're going to see trades in an effort to acquire more NHL ready young talent, possibly as soon as next week. When the time comes I think they will once again pursue marquee FA's. But now is still the time for tanking. We have a refreshingly blunt GM now who has told the fans time and again that this is the plan.

Frustrating if you have season tickets and don't want to go to the back of the line.

Eleven, you are clearly invested. Look at it this way, since you are a season ticket holder, you have free reign to say whatever you want about the team with zero consequence... Small consolation, I know but hey! It doesn't hurt to look on the bright side, eh? And when the team gets good again, and all the fair weather fans line up to get season tix, they can $uck it cuz they will only be able to get season tix in the nosebleed section

Spare me the pride argument. Just because you disagree with the approach some of us favor doesn't mean you're somehow morally superior.

The Kings also used a #3 overall (Jack Johnson) and #5 overall (Brayden Schenn) to bring in two huge components to their championship teams--Carter and Richards. Your chances of getting NHL players are astronomically higher at the top of the draft. Keep 'em, trade 'em, whatever; but that's where you get the talent.

Well said on all counts.

Actually they have to be entertaining, seeing as this is a sport which you must pay to see. It is the company's responsibility to entertain us. Additionally the team needs vet leaders at very least, whom work their butts off.

I will concede with your second point

IMO I don't see any way how you can spin what's in store for this season as entertaining on the whole. Losing is never fun or entertaining to me, but it can be acceptable with an eye towards a brighter future. One more ###### sandwich to force down.

The issue is that they don't have to do what the fans want just like the fans don't have to buy tickets. Of course that's a ###### way to do business that doesn't work well for either side, but it's likely the route taken this season.

Well, in reality, many fans want the team to suck.

2011-12 the Panthers were supposed to tank as well. It's a lot easier to tank the year you trade away the entire team. It's not so easy to tank the year you have to sign UFA's and/or trade for players to get to the cap floor. The Panthers won the division that year (albeit a weak division) and came within an overtime of moving on to the 2nd round. Even management said they were surprised. There's going to be a handful of players on this roster this year that have some kind of talent, more than the Sabres had last year. Don't be surprised if they don't finish dead last like you're all hoping.

2011-12 the Panthers were supposed to tank as well. It's a lot easier to tank the year you trade away the entire team. It's not so easy to tank the year you have to sign UFA's and/or trade for players to get to the cap floor. The Panthers won the division that year (albeit a weak division) and came within an overtime of moving on to the 2nd round. Even management said they were surprised. There's going to be a handful of players on this roster this year that have some kind of talent, more than the Sabres had last year. Don't be surprised if they don't finish dead last like you're all hoping.

That Panthers team wasn't supposed to tank. They went on a spending spree that offseason. Overpaid quite a few really mediocre players. Look where they're at now. Do we want to be Florida in a few years?

Edited by Tankalicious

That Panthers team wasn't supposed to tank. They went on a spending spree that offseason. Overpaid quite a few really mediocre players. Look where they're at now. Do we want to be Florida in a few years?

Actually, they were. They had just drafted Bjugstad, Huberdeau, Trochek, Gudbranson, Howden and Petrovic over two drafts. They weren't ready and Tallon wasn't going to bring them up too early. Why do you think they overpaid for mediocre players? As much as they overpaid they were still in the bottom half of the league in payroll. The Sabres' future and the Panthers' present are irrelevant to my point.

Actually, they were. They had just drafted Bjugstad, Huberdeau, Trochek, Gudbranson, Howden and Petrovic over two drafts. They weren't ready and Tallon wasn't going to bring them up too early. Why do you think they overpaid for mediocre players? As much as they overpaid they were still in the bottom half of the league in payroll. The Sabres' future and the Panthers' present are irrelevant to my point.

They went out and got Brian Campbell, Jose Theodore, Sean Bergenheim (who had just had a crazy postseason), Jovo Cop and more to tank?

They went out and got Brian Campbell, Jose Theodore, Sean Bergenheim (who had just had a crazy postseason), Jovo Cop and more to tank?

Tallon picked up Campbell to help the Hawks with cap trouble, Campbell was in decline the Hawks were playing him less and less. Bergenheim up to that point was a mediocre 3rd liner. Theodore was an aging one-hit wonder. You can look withi hindsight all you want, at the time that is the way it was viewed. Jovanovski, I shouldn't need to explain that one.

I'm not claiming he got the Monstars, but he also didn't get Bill Murray pre-Jordan juice. He spent a lot of money that offseason.

They weren't expected to do well, but they weren't actively trying to be bad.

Of course not, that couldn't try to be bad. During that offseason the roster was cut big time. The turnaround from 2010-11 to 2011-12 was insane. During the offseason Tallon was in almost the exact same situation as the Sabres are now, a payroll well below the cap floor which meant he had to spend money. You can't try to be bad when you're forced to spend money which puts you in the position to not be the worst team in the league, just because you had to spend money. Which circles back around to my point, it's easier to tank the year you tear your team apart. It's not so easy the following year when you have to spend money. This year for the Sabres will be the Panthers division winning year. They wanted to do bad, but they had to spend money.

Of course not, that couldn't try to be bad. During that offseason the roster was cut big time. The turnaround from 2010-11 to 2011-12 was insane. During the offseason Tallon was in almost the exact same situation as the Sabres are now, a payroll well below the cap floor which meant he had to spend money. You can't try to be bad when you're forced to spend money which puts you in the position to not be the worst team in the league, just because you had to spend money. Which circles back around to my point, it's easier to tank the year you tear your team apart. It's not so easy the following year when you have to spend money. This year for the Sabres will be the Panthers division winning year. They wanted to do bad, but they had to spend money.

We don't have to have to spend money. Not as much as some seem to think. Nowhere even in the same stratosphere as the 11 players Florida had to sign.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.