Free Agent Frenzy 2014

Hoss

Can Grigo take faceoffs? I have to admit, that was probably the last part of his game I paid attention to while he was here.

He was 53 out of 103 last season in the NHL. Which is much better than I thought he did.

Edited by Neuvirths Glove

He was 53 out of 103 last season in the NHL. Which is much better than I thought he did.

Interestingly his zone starts for his 18 NHL Games last year are almost the inverse of the year prior. 26.9%OZ - 36.5%DZ so he was being started more on defense. He was also facing slightly better competition but also was playing with slightly better forwards. His Corsi was worse last year and definitely correlates to his DZ %. He really isn't bad for a 20yr old kid and again I still hold out hope for him.

Apparently Steve Ott was on XM Radio and said that Buffalo made it clear early on in the process that a return here was not an option.

Interesting.

I think TM decided that he had enough bottom-6 guys and wanted to spend his cap room on top-6 guys -- hence, Gionta and Moulson.

My favorite people are the people who don't like Matt Moulson. How does that even happen.

They assume he is responsible for the beer?

I don't have his numbers in front of me but I want to say he was in the 55-60% range. I know it is something he has worked on.

lol me too

Moulson said the Sabres were number 1 on his list because of the Pegulas (Kim really made his wife happy and feel apart of things) and because he liked the way the organization.

Stupid meddling owners..

I guess the Leafs did not call Ott back either

https://twitter.com/...604122510970880

Otter on Fan 590

http://www.sportsnet...ay-in-st-louis/

Ott sez:

Nolan is a motivator.

Hitchcock an X and O's guy.

Leafs didn't call back.

Ryan Miller will be unbelievable in Vancouver.

Ott tries to be a complete player and be consistent. (I'm) a valuable asset up and down the lineup. Bring it every night.

fini

Edited by X. Benedict

Based on that, I hope SOMEONE on the Sabres staff is an Xs and Os guy. Highly motivated players without a system will never be successful

I think it was chz that first postulated Nolan was gonna be the coach to develop the young players and be a place holder until our version of Bylsma is hired.

GO BILLS!!!

I think it was chz that first postulated Nolan was gonna be the coach to develop the young players and be a place holder until our version of Bylsma is hired.

GO BILLS!!!

Yeah, yeah, I remember that, but how are you going to develop the talent if your on-ice system isn't developed to an acceptable standard? How are the youngins gonna know what the right positioning is for different situations if the Xs and Os aren't worked out?

(It's probably a false dichotomy - just because he's a motivator doesn't mean he's totally incompetent at designing and enforcing an effective system.) I've been watching dysfunctional hockey for so long I just really want to see it come together.

Ruff is a pretty good X's and O's coach, and we all know that turned out in the end.

I'd rather have the kids learn how to bust their butts, and learn the X's an O's afterwards, than have them learn all about systems and position, and then just float around out there.

My point being, we've had a good X's and O's take over from Nolan before, and they turned out pretty well, until the value of hard work somehow got lost in the process.

That said, I don't think the Latvian national team looked as though they weren't playing a system, it might just not have been the most advanced system.

And again, we all know what advanced systems can do to certain players....

Moulson said the Sabres were number 1 on his list because of the Pegulas (Kim really made his wife happy and feel apart of things)

Awwwwwww Yeahhhhhh.......

Ruff is a pretty good X's and O's coach, and we all know that turned out in the end.

I'd rather have the kids learn how to bust their butts, and learn the X's an O's afterwards, than have them learn all about systems and position, and then just float around out there.

My point being, we've had a good X's and O's take over from Nolan before, and they turned out pretty well, until the value of hard work somehow got lost in the process.

That said, I don't think the Latvian national team looked as though they weren't playing a system, it might just not have been the most advanced system.

And again, we all know what advanced systems can do to certain players....

Latvia had a beautiful system for their talent. They clogged and gave up shots but sludged the front so no good rebounds were available. Then on transition they just pushed with numbers all the way and had a drop pass in effect while trying to get traffic in front. It was simple but perfect considering the odds. They were certainly not a team running around like chickens with their heads cut off.

Latvia had a beautiful system for their talent. They clogged and gave up shots but sludged the front so no good rebounds were available. Then on transition they just pushed with numbers all the way and had a drop pass in effect while trying to get traffic in front. It was simple but perfect considering the odds. They were certainly not a team running around like chickens with their heads cut off.

Kinda sounds like the Hardest working team in hockey.

Now if we can only find a Hasek...

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.