Free Agent Frenzy 2014

Hoss

I find it hard to believe that Murray couldn't, or didn't offer him something better.

He certainly could have, but we aren't exactly trying to be world beaters here. I think the most obvious sign that we are still attempting to "tank" is in our FA signings. We didn't have to stop bringing in players after we hit the floor, but we did. They aren't coming out and saying it, but their spending doesn't exactly shy away from the idea.

Don't think it was a question of getting better, it was just about surrounding our young guys with just enough vets to grow and learn.

Also Ott has to many links from his dallas days in St louis, I actually never expected him to come back.

He certainly could have, but we aren't exactly trying to be world beaters here. I think the most obvious sign that we are still attempting to "tank" is in our FA signings. We didn't have to stop bringing in players after we hit the floor, but we did. They aren't coming out and saying it, but their spending doesn't exactly shy away from the idea.

Would rather have had Ott than Moulson, at least he was entertaining as they lost.

I'm going to admit it: I compared extraskater.com's advanced analytic summaries for Ott and Moulson from last season. The numbers surprised me. (I.e., Moulson's appear significantly better.) I'm not Corsi/Fenwick junkie, mind you. But I do find myself referencing those values as a touchstone.

FWIW, Matt D'Agostini had the best advanced stat values of any remaining UFA as of this week.

I'm going to admit it: I compared extraskater.com's advanced analytic summaries for Ott and Moulson from last season. The numbers surprised me. (I.e., Moulson's appear significantly better.) I'm not Corsi/Fenwick junkie, mind you. But I do find myself referencing those values as a touchstone.

Why did they surprise you? We agree Matt Moulson is a significantly better player than Ott right?

I would have liked to get Ott back. He is fun to watch, and it would have been more evidence that Buffalo is becoming a destination of choice for NHL players. But we didn't. So tank on.

Edit: On the other hand, the captaincy would have been weird. Either you give it back to him and it feels like we're staying with the old regime (when the team was trying to go in a new direction), or you give it to someone else, and the former captain is there which would be awkward. Maybe either scenario would work out fine, but maybe not.

Edited by Neuvirths Glove

Why did they surprise you? We agree Matt Moulson is a significantly better player than Ott right?
That was my thought as well when I read the post.
I didn't realize the two were even comparable.

I understand that they're not neatly comparable players in terms of how they're deployed, the game that the play, and so on.

But those advanced stats are interesting, and often have a way of creating an apple-to-apple comparison of otherwise dissimilar players. I threw that D'Agostini thing in there at the end -- the guy's a bottom-6 player, sure, but his "relative Corsi" (again, I'm still learning what that means) was the highest on the post July 5th UFA market.

And, FWIW, Vanek's Corsi numbers from last year are between Ott's and Moulson's. Just food for thought. That Corsi number is supposed to correlate with the extent to which a player tends to tilt the ice in your favor.

I found it interesting that Moulson did that somewhat more than Vanek, and a lot more than Ott.

Edited by That Aud Smell

I would have liked to get Ott back. He is fun to watch, and it would have been more evidence that Buffalo is becoming a destination of choice for NHL players. But we didn't. So tank on.

Edit: On the other hand, the captaincy would have been weird. Either you give it back to him and it feels like we're staying with the old regime (when the team was trying to go in a new direction), or you give it to someone else, and the former captain is there which would be awkward. Maybe either scenario would work out fine, but maybe not.

Agreed. He would've been fun to have around. I think if we didn't sign Gionta, we probably would've signed Ott immediately. GMTM's July 1 response about, and I'm paraphrasing, "making moves that put pause on other moves unless other moves do or don't happen" seemed like a direct reference to Ott. I think Ott enjoyed his time here, and would consider signing here in the future.

Edited by IKnowPhysics

No one cares. He's not spamming the board.

No one cares... Except the one time I did it and multiple posters told me not to. SDS has also told Brawndo not to do it. So somebody cares. But thanks for being your typical self.

Edited by Tankalicious

No one cares... Except the one time I did it and multiple posters told me not to. SDS has also told Brawndo not to do it. So somebody cares. But thanks for being your typical self.

Seriously, no one cares. To use the parlance of our times, "zero f*cks given."

It's a topic that could fit in either thread. Brawndo probably posted in both to cover his ass so that he didn't get yelled at for posting in the wrong thread. Don't be mad he beat you to the punch. :P

Seriously, no one cares. To use the parlance of our times, "zero f*cks given."

Shrader cares:

And I'm completely with chz on the twitter thing. The place has felt very robotic to me for a while now with the constant cut and pasting of tweets. There's so little thinking going on most of the time, or at least it feels that way to me. Maybe that's why I'm flocking towards the random conversation threads lately. You really can't cut and paste a random story from your day.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.