wjag

Most people have stuck to a list, but I've thrown out random facts here and there in separate posts. Maybe I'll try to string together a few now.

1. In the three years since I met my wife, she has had at least 7 people in her extended family die, including her father after a battle with cancer that pretty much started right when we met. She also had a niece born with a heart defect. Sometimes I wonder if I've somehow brought some bad luck upon her (it must be the Buffalonian "we're cursed" mentality). I don't put much stock in it though since it is a pretty crazy idea. That and her extended family is much larger than mine. There's also been more babies born in that time than people who died. Circle of life and whatnot. Oh, and the niece is a perfectly normal baby now.

2. An extension of #1, ever since I met her, there has been at least one pregnant woman in our families every single day we've known each other. I'm not looking forward to the moment the next baby pops out and then people ask if we're next. I have no problem with having kids, we're just not ready. We rent in a fairly urban area and neither of us wants to raise a kid in that atmosphere. We are both products of very rural areas, Boston, NY for me and mountains in NH for her. We both agree that we want to own a house before going down that route.

3. I'm about to lose the last major string that would draw me back to the Buffalo area for a few visits a year. I'm pretty sure that this July will be my last trip there for a long time. Two potential employment issues may wind up blocking that trip though. I still do not consider this Boston, MA area my home even after spending the majority of the last 14 years here, so this is going to be a strange change for me.

That's it. 3 is all you get. I don't like lists but I did the best I could.

I'm pretty sure he wasn't talking about the player.

The last sentence of item #8 really hammers home that point.

Hmm. Not sure if I'm correctly grasping the concept of the thread, but here goes:

1. I am an only child. My father stopped being a father when I became a teen, and my mother died from cancer 7 years ago.

2. I have always been surrounded by "friends" my entire life, but have never felt truly connected to any of them, or like I've had a real friend. This has spanned thru a variety of different circles.

3. I believe that I could've played in the NHL, if I hadn't tore up my meniscus and suffered a concussion during a freak accident on a breakaway in a roller hockey game at Genesee Valley Rink when I was 13.

4. I was kicked out of high school, and never graduated. Yet, I was accepted into college after scoring 98th percentile on the entrance exam.

5. I have a teaching degree that I have never used. After college, I started working at a concert venue, which led me to being a booker, promoter, talent buyer, and touring around with bands. Sounds fun to some, but I'm glad that I've moved on.

6. I have met a lot of "famous" people - athletes, musicians, actors - and I don't care. It's no big deal to me.

7. I almost never smile. This leads to people assuming that I am angry, a murderer, or miserable, even when I'm happy. It gets annoying being asked what's wrong, even tho I am content with life.

8. I will likely never have kids, and I am okay with that.

9. I own, and have owned, a variety of pets. Dog, cat, cockatoo, cockatiel, lovebirds, quaker parrot, iguana, scorpion, chameleon, rabbit, and more - I love animals.

10. I feel like I post often on this board, but despite that, I don't feel like I am a part of your community.

You grasped it. Best one yet. Thanks for sharing. As for 10., knock it off. You're in. And once you're in, you never leave. Never.

Andrew,

I think your 10 is related to your 2, which is probably related to your 1.

You belong here. You do, the whole board would notice if your input vanished, and most of us would buy you a beer if we ran into you at a bar.

The guy WAS a really good player for us. I hope he enjoys his recent retirement.

Very nice.

You grasped it. Best one yet. Thanks for sharing. As for 10., knock it off. You're in. And once you're in, you never leave. Never.

Andrew,

You belong here. You do, the whole board would notice if your input vanished, and most of us would buy you a beer if we ran into you at a bar.

Definitely.

On tattoos: Like others, I think 99.9% of the time they're awful, and on a girl they a huge turnoff for me. Same goes with piercings... I guess I'm pretty conservative on that kind of stuff. 'Sall good if you have one though; I'm just instinctively not attracted you :P

The only time I'd ever consider getting a tattoo: If my college ultimate team had qualified for the national championships when I was playing.

I like tattoos as long as they aren't on the face. I can even find neck inkwork attractive on women.

Piercings however, not much of a fan. Ears are fine. Don't like facial piercings. Belly button piercings are meh at best for me.

Figured this was a good as a thread as any to break out of lurker mode

1. Been lurkering unregistered for about a year, recently registered to lurk more and this is my first post.

2. I'm certified in 7-12 English and Special Ed. - I co-taught a 9th grade English class with the same teacher I had in High School. One of the most rewarding experiences of my life.

3. I've always had the number 13 in sports except one season in college hockey that I was 27 because a senior already had the number.

4. I like (bordering on obsessive need) to research any purchase over $100, often spending weeks comparing products or reading reviews on the Internet. Doubly so when it's an electronic purchase; PC parts are the worst. Golf purchases are probably second, either way it annoys my wife to no end.

5. My current position has me traveling the same amount of time that I actually work.

6. Writing on a vertical surface impairs my spelling to comical levels. This includes chalk boards, whiteboards, and the worst: SMARTboards.

7. I play left handed in every sport, except throwing a baseball/football. I write right handed. I hold my utensils like I'm left handed when eating.

8. I had at least five more when I hit reply that I've promptly forgotten.

9. I'm drinking the last of my home brew Hefeweizen while watching the game tonight. Would love suggestions on what to make to make next. I'm growing some cascade hops to use later this year.

9. I'm drinking the last of my home brew Hefeweizen while watching the game tonight. Would love suggestions on what to make to make next. I'm growing some cascade hops to use later this year.

Whatever you enjoy drinking. Having said that, the weather is warming. I like beers that are lighter on the palate in warmer weather. Lighter pales and bitters work well. So do 60 shilling Scotch ales. Pilsners if you have the ability to ferment at lager temps are a given. Or, if you can ferment on the cool side a cream ale is glorious on the deck in Summer.

Or, brew up one of my favs, a saison, and invite me over for a beer. :P

Andrew,

You may be right, and I've thought about that plenty of times. Yet, I feel connected and like I belong anytime I have been on a sports team, and also at a few of my jobs.

I appreciate the positive responses from you all, it wasnt easy to open up about some of those things. Pretty cool exercise, I'm enjoying everyone's posts. I find similarities with items from every person.

7. I play left handed in every sport, except throwing a baseball/football. I write right handed. I hold my utensils like I'm left handed when eating.

Welcome!

Here's a good one. I do everything right-handed except I am lefty at beer pong. I had surgery on my (right) throwing should immediately after college graduation. I guess I played a bit of beer pong that summer and just continued it going lefty. I've was never that great at it anyway (lefty or righty). I was more of a flip-cup stud :D

Welcome, Otto!

Not exactly the same as handedness, but I ride regular stance for snowboarding 95% of the time (anytime I'm using an edge) and prefer goofy stance when I'm riding flat / head-on.

Edited by biodork

Whatever you enjoy drinking. Having said that, the weather is warming. I like beers that are lighter on the palate in warmer weather. Lighter pales and bitters work well. So do 60 shilling Scotch ales. Pilsners if you have the ability to ferment at lager temps are a given. Or, if you can ferment on the cool side a cream ale is glorious on the deck in Summer.

Or, brew up one of my favs, a saison, and invite me over for a beer. :P

I wish I had the capabilities to lager a beer, making a doppel bock would be awesome

Most of my brewing has been from recipe kits, I found a saison du mont recipe but I'd be ordering the ingredients loose...might have to try it

Welcome!

Here's a good one. I do everything right-handed except I am lefty at beer pong. I had surgery on my (right) throwing should immediately after college graduation. I guess I played a bit of beer pong that summer and just continued it going lefty. I've was never that great at it anyway (lefty or righty). I was more of a flip-cup stud :D

Everyone is all about beer pong might have to get back to some flip cup...left or right handed :)

Welcome, Otto!

Not exactly the same as handedness, but I ride regular stance for snowboarding 95% of the time (anytime I'm using an edge) and prefer goofy stance when I'm riding flat / head-on.

I'm all goofy when in comes to snowboarding both in stance and form...I'm better with skis, playing hockey translates over

I think that I can speak for All Buffalonians, when I say that Amerk, and Drunkard, and Campy have graduated from whatever NYC purgatory they may have been languishing in and can now flourish as true Buffalonians.

There are many current posters that I haven't granted such privileges, and that is because I am not some sort of grand poopah that goes about granting privileges about Buffalo. If it were my job, though, I'd be wondering what job Ed Kilgore is actually doing right now. That would be my 9-5. Ed Kilgore moved up to what job for East Management Resources in Pittsburgh? Ed Killmore? I'd revoke Ed Killmore's posting privilege if it were my job, but you'd all be safe.

Ed's cutting fuel lines....

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20140602_Lewis_Katz__co-owner_of_The_Inquirer__dies_in_plane_crash.html

Edited by Ghost of Dwight Drane

No tattoos, no piercings, no jewelry, no brand logos, etc. for me. It is difficult/impossible to avoid acts of symbolic self-completion (see symbolic self-completion theory), but this is what I strive for.

I like tattoos as long as they aren't on the face. I can even find neck inkwork attractive on women.

Piercings however, not much of a fan. Ears are fine. Don't like facial piercings. Belly button piercings are meh at best for me.

Not a huge fan of tattoos on a girl, but it all depends on how many/where they are really. No face, no neck, and no lower back, just my opinion though.

Ironically enough though, I love a girl with piercings, or at least the right ones. Ears, the Monroe, breasts, belly button and nose ring especially...I don't know what it is, I just find them really attractive. As long as there aren't 40 or so of them, I'm all for it.

Amen. I've always hated crowds, but that hatred rose exponentially since I've had to deal with a blind left side. If I ever get caught in a situation where I have no choice but to enter crowded area, my wife instinctively gets on my left and doesn't leave my side.

I've never minded crowds, I do get annoyed when it takes forever to get a drink cause the bar is packed.

I especially like crowds when there is music playing live and everyone is enjoying it, or the vibe of a packed sporting event. Both have similar group "hive mind" energy going on. Went to a Wolfsburg vs BVB game when in Germany and it was packed and awesome, I was like two rows up from the locals drum pit.

Not a huge fan of tattoos on a girl, but it all depends on how many/where they are really. No face, no neck, and no lower back, just my opinion though.

Ironically enough though, I love a girl with piercings, or at least the right ones. Ears, the Monroe, breasts, belly button and nose ring especially...I don't know what it is, I just find them really attractive. As long as there aren't 40 or so of them, I'm all for it.

Some tattoos I find add to a woman's attractiveness, my wife has thin vine going from her foot to ankle and I think it is very tasteful and looks awesome.

My best man at my wedding has a rib tattoo that looks like someone pealed back the skin revealing the muscles, veins, and such and it looks amazing it really fits his personality. It will no doubt look awkward when he gets old.

Most tattoos that would prevent a person from a job as a bank teller I dislike; face, hands, neck included. Any tattoo of a face looks like crap, I don't care who has it or who it's of.

I feel the same way about piercings, if it wouldn't prevent you from getting a job I probably find it attractive. I do have a fondness for nipple piercings, the simple bar type most of all.

That said I have nether and have no plans to get one. Would probably get a "13" tattoed if I did though.

That said I have nether and have no plans to get one. Would probably get a "13" tattoed if I did though.

That'd be pretty fly. Just make sure they don't draw a 31.

I have no ink. My mother and I are the only ones in the family without tattoos. Both brothers and my dad have something on both shoulders and 2 out of 3 of them regret it. I remember wanting one so bad when I was 16 and by the time I was 18 I remember loving beer money more, so I never did it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.