wjag

1. I have a small tattoo on my lower back (sorry, Campy).

2. I'm very "type A" and have definite OCD tendencies. My ex jokingly referred to me as Rainman on occasion (with good reason).

3. I hate/fear failure, which makes me very risk-averse like weave and swamp. So much so that I've had to fight the urge to pull out of my current relationship for fear that it might not work out long-term.

4. I've always been oddly uncomfortable around money/wealth. I wouldn't say I grew up poor (we never went without food or anything like that), but my parents struggled when I was young and I seem to have taken that on as a strong part of my identity. As a result, I feel awkward and incredibly out-of-place around people and things that are high-end, as if I don't belong and everone knows it.

5. As happy as I am for them, I wish my friends hadn't all gone off and gotten married and had kids. I don't really like children, and I miss having things in common with and chances to see my friends.

6. I'm a terrible liar.

7. I love most types of music, with the exception of country and weird new age stuff. Bobby McFerrin and Weird Al Yankovic make me smile.

8. I am a homebody who would rather spend a night by myself (or with one other person) at home than go out.

9. I'm with Drane on people vs animals.

Bio, your #4 described me exactly. Right up until I tried high end bourbon. That fixed that right there.

Lol yes I make an exception for good food and drink; it's more situations surrounded by wealth, like a fancy restaurant or upscale store.

Lol yes I make an exception for good food and drink; it's more situations surrounded by wealth, like a fancy restaurant or upscale store.

I hear ya. I can handle myself in a nice restaurant within reason, but I grew up being reminded constantly that I wasn't part of the upper crust/country club crowd. I walked into a Burberry store with my mum in Somerset Mall once when I was all of 14 and the clerk said, "Ah, must be nice to have a rare chance to admire the finer things in life. We have no clearance rack, by the way". Scarred me for life.

Ok, I already babble too much about myself and am easily searched on the internet anyways but...

1. I also have a couple small tattoos, hidden pretty well. Several of my closest friends are tattoo artists. I always swore I'd never get inked, but for these guys, I make exceptions.

2. Played piano for 15 years, was very competitive. Was a competitive writer, on a martial arts "show team" until a nasty accident, and traveled Europe playing alto sax in a wind ensemble. Competitive shows up a lot- however, I have some of the lowest damn self esteem you'll come across. Always a nickel short of a dollar, honey. Can't see the forest for the trees.

3. Sports is a rather new thing for me. It was demonized in my family growing up- something only "meathead jocks" were into. Wellp, sign me up for some jerky brains then, because I'm pretty darn addicted. The history is my favorite part. I don't say much hockey related stuff here, but you better believe I lurk and learn.

4. Shooting an AK-47 is a lot of fun.

5. I flew a small plane once. I didn't die.

6. Fear of failure is my main motivation. I feel that my family is still pretty dismayed that I chose art instead of engineering or genetics or forensic anthropology or something "smart". Always gotta prove something. I have some massive chips on my shoulders. If I had money, I'd go back to school.

7. I'm tightly wound. d4rk is less tightly wound. We balance each other out. It's worked for 3 years so far!

8. I hope to run an animal rescue someday. I volunteer at a horse rescue now- it's by far the most rewarding thing I do every week.

9. Sometimes, there's just nothing better in the world than a huge greasy cheeseburger, salty fries, and a tall, cold beer. ok, most times.

10. I'm 24 and I don't know what I don't know.

Edited by Josie914

I hear ya. I can handle myself in a nice restaurant within reason, but I grew up being reminded constantly that I wasn't part of the upper crust/country club crowd. I walked into a Burberry store with my mum in Somerset Mall once when I was all of 14 and the clerk said, "Ah, must be nice to have a rare chance to admire the finer things in life. We have no clearance rack, by the way". Scarred me for life.

Ok, I already babble too much about myself and am easily searched on the internet anyways but...

1. I also have a couple small tattoos, hidden pretty well. Several of my closest friends are tattoo artists. I always swore I'd never get inked, but for these guys, I make exceptions.

2. Played piano for 15 years, was very competitive. Was a competitive writer, on a martial arts "show team" until a nasty accident, and traveled Europe playing alto sax in a wind ensemble. Competitive shows up a lot- however, I have some of the lowest damn self esteem you'll come across. Always a nickel short of a dollar, honey. Can't see the forest for the trees.

3. Sports is a rather new thing for me. It was demonized in my family growing up- something only "meathead jocks" were into. Wellp, sign me up for some jerky brains then, because I'm pretty darn addicted. The history is my favorite part. I don't say much hockey related stuff here, but you better believe I lurk and learn.

4. Shooting an AK-47 is a lot of fun.

5. I flew a small plane once. I didn't die.

6. Fear of failure is my main motivation. I feel that my family is still pretty dismayed that I chose art instead of engineering or genetics or forensic anthropology or something "smart". Always gotta prove something. I have some massive chips on my shoulders. If I had money, I'd go back to school.

7. I'm tightly wound. d4rk is less tightly wound. We balance each other out. It's worked for 3 years so far!

8. I hope to run an animal rescue someday. I volunteer at a horse rescue now- it's by far the most rewarding thing I do every week.

9. Sometimes, there's just nothing better in the world than a huge greasy cheeseburger, salty fries, and a tall, cold beer. ok, most times.

10. I'm 24 and I don't know what I don't know.

#3 applies to me as well. My parents (mostly my dad) were not at all into sports, so I didn't start watching until 1998 and didn't do anything remotely athletic myself until the last 5-6 years. And absolutely on the animal rescue! If I won the lottery I'd set up a place like Dogtown or something similar (not limited to dogs).

I thought of one I forgot earlier (my #10): When I was in 4th grade, my family moved from Bath, NY to central PA. In NY I had lots of friends and was very well-liked (even voted class president the year before), but when we moved the kids here were very unwelcoming of outsiders. Being smart and getting glasses the following year cemented my status as a bit of a nerdy outcast. Sometimes I wonder how I would've turned out as a person if we'd stayed in NY.

1) I have a wife, a daughter, and another one coming in a month(fingers crossed that it's a boy please gentlemen. Already have 5 sisters don't need another woman in my life haha)

2) I live in Canada, but I've always liked the US of A more. With the exception being in hockey of course. There's a flag hanging on my wall and I have a couple USA jerseys, which I mostly use to piss my buddy's off.

3) I've had 2 near death experiences. 1st was a psycho path attempted to kill with a 12 gauge from 10 feet away, nice try bud still kicking!! Good thing our awesome justice system gave him 2 years house arrest, it's quite peaceful that he lives within 10 mins of me. 2nd was 2 months ago, woke up at 3:30 am to my 2 storey home on fire, narrowly got myself and family out. I was released from hospital 12 hours later with some 2nd degree burns and my girls got out a month later.

4) I feel like I've been given a new lease on life, but since I've continually made the same mistakes! Funny how that works

5) My wife knows I'm one of the most loyal people in the world, your wives or friends should know the same of you! Seriously, takes some loyalty to cheer for this team right now

7) I also think 99.9% of tattoos are ridiculous(sorry if you have some). What is it going to look like when your old and wrinkly?

8) 70% of people didn't realize there was nothing number 6. Now that you've double checked, I feel I should tell you 80% of all statistics are bull ######.

9) to everyone debating if you should write what you really want to write, just go for it! I'm confident most of us don't know each other anyway so go ahead let's hear it. Maybe 1 or 2 people might have some helpful insight

10) Seems like a good time to say this, to anyone who thinks I don't like them, due to rude comments or anything else. That is not the case. I am bipolar so I have a tendency to fly off the handle every so often but bear with me! The point I'm trying to make is accurate anyway:p haha jk

Edited by Naulter8

This one is all too familiar. Oh how I love the wife's daily rants about her school day. She goes on for about 30 minutes without even stopping to breathe. Then when she asks how my day went... "same as yesterday". I like efficiency and that message says it all the vast majority of the time.

3) I've had 2 near death experiences. 1st was a psycho path attempted to kill with a 12 gauge from 10 feet away, nice try bud still kicking!! Good thing our awesome justice system gave him 2 years house arrest, it's quite peaceful that he lives within 10 mins of me. 2nd was 2 months ago, woke up at 3:30 am to my 2 storey home on fire, narrowly got myself and family out. I was released from hospital 12 hours later with some 2nd degree burns and my girls got out a month later.

Glad you are okay and so is your family.

1) When I was in HS I was a soccer player and got picked on so bad by the football players I hated football for years after. Now that I live in the middle of the SEC, I am really into college football.

2) My grandmother and grandfather grew up on a hill about a mile away from my house. I spent more time with them then any of the other grand kids and I will always be grateful for that. I credit my grandma with really helping me be who I am.

3) I am absolutely terrified to introduce myself to strangers in social situations unless someone else introduces me first then I am fine.

4) I have torn up the left side of my face 3 times but only have a small almost unnoticeable scar to show for it.

5) I have never owned a dog but I love dogs.

6) Even though I miss home sometimes I am glad I am where I am. My family would drive me up a wall and suck me into the drama that occurs on a regular basis. I like living my own life.

7) I call my parents at least 2-3 times a week to let them know I am okay.

8) I have been to Mexico and I really don't understand the draw. Its kind of a ###### hole. Also went to Maui and while more expensive, it was one of the greatest trips in my life.

9) Since I moved south I have developed a good taste for beer and it is one of the things I enjoy most. There are several bartenders that know me and on home game days it is awesome being 6 ppl back from the bar and just having to catch their eye. I tip them well too because I remember working the service industry and it sucks.

Edited by LGR4GM

2. I'm very "type A" and have definite OCD tendencies. My ex jokingly referred to me as Rainman on occasion (with good reason).

4. I've always been oddly uncomfortable around money/wealth. I wouldn't say I grew up poor (we never went without food or anything like that), but my parents struggled when I was young and I seem to have taken that on as a strong part of my identity. As a result, I feel awkward and incredibly out-of-place around people and things that are high-end, as if I don't belong and everone knows it..

I have the same issues as #2 and #4. People come into my office at work and will move 1 little thing out of place, be it slightly turning a post it note or a pen, or so far as moving my stapler a few inches. I always notice and they get a kick out of it. I used to get pissed but have now started to get over it. Since I've lived with my girlfriend, she's kind of become my controlled chaos necessary for an OCD person to live a normal life lol.

as for #4 - my ex was more high society type, and 6 months into our year long relationship, I realized I DEFINITELY did not belong.

5) My wife knows I'm one of the most loyal people in the world, your wives or friends should know the same of you! Seriously, takes some loyalty to cheer for this team right now

Respect and loyalty are two major characteristics I look for in people. I'm loyal to a fault, and I give respect where respect is due, and only ask for it in return.

3) I am absolutely terrified to introduce myself to strangers in social situations unless someone else introduces me first then I am fine.

I'm the complete opposite. I love introducing myself to new people. I used to be the shyest person in the world, would never introduce myself to anyone, and would shy away from big social occasions...that all changed my senior year of high school when my grandfather took me to one of his BBQs with about 20 ex military (mostly ex-Green Beret's). an hour with those guys, and they'll make anyone outgoing. I'm probably one of the most outgoing people you'll ever meet now lol

1. I have a small tattoo on my lower back (sorry, Campy).

No need to apologize, I'm sure it's awesome. ;)

My girlfriend also has a "don't-call-it-a-tramp-stamp" tat of a butterfly. Of course, now it looks more like a bumblebee.

My girlfriend also has a "don't-call-it-a-tramp-stamp" tat of a butterfly. Of course, now it looks more like a bumblebee.

To be fair, you did leave that 0.1% of tattoos that don't look awful. Bio still has a chance.

Well if you wait long enough that bumblebee will metamorphosis into a caterpillar Benjamin Button style.

I was thinking that maybe the best way to proceed with your issue would be to tell your lady that you think you are getting big and out of shape and then slowly introduce the idea of you both working out together, like running and stuff. Say you want to try eating healthier for some random reason too. Make it sound like you are the self conscious one, maybe that will work.

I have the same issues as #2 and #4. People come into my office at work and will move 1 little thing out of place, be it slightly turning a post it note or a pen, or so far as moving my stapler a few inches. I always notice and they get a kick out of it. I used to get pissed but have now started to get over it. Since I've lived with my girlfriend, she's kind of become my controlled chaos necessary for an OCD person to live a normal life lol.

Haha on the desk... I am the same! I always know when someone has used my stuff because I always put things back a certain way. When I worked in an office years ago it would drive me bonkers when people took my (one) pen, when my cube-mate was a pen klepto with an entire cup of them on her desk. I don't want a new pen; I want MY pen back so I can continue using it!

Lol mine is a butterfly (2, actually) as well. And I have no illusions about it being awesome... it's just something I wanted to do, and I did and I don't regret it.

As for your girlfriend, I'll echo others and suggest you try a team approach to fitness and healthier eating. Chances are she's well-aware of her weight gain, so if you can jointly make healthier changes perhaps you can address the problem without having to come out and say it.

Well if you wait long enough that bumblebee will metamorphosis into a caterpillar Benjamin Button style.

I was thinking that maybe the best way to proceed with your issue would be to tell your lady that you think you are getting big and out of shape and then slowly introduce the idea of you both working out together, like running and stuff. Say you want to try eating healthier for some random reason too. Make it sound like you are the self conscious one, maybe that will work.

I actually mentioned that last night and she seemed receptive to helping me out.

And as an aside, I'd hate to have you guys think I'm a total pig. She was something of a bigger girl when we started dating but now her entire body composition and shape has changed...

<snip>

Lol mine is a butterfly (2, actually) as well. And I have no illusions about it being awesome... it's just something I wanted to do, and I did and I don't regret it.

<snip>

I should probably admit that I was exaggerating some in my original post.

I think a lot of the tats I see were bad ideas that actually happened* and I do lie to people in that white lie kind of way when they proudly show me their ink, but the truth is, I'm more of a live and let live guy. If a person likes their tat, that's all that matters because Lord knows he didn't get it to impress knuckleheads like me.

*True story: While hanging out and drinking beers and swimming with a few people I saw a dude with a tat on his lower back spells out his last name. His last name is "Tarbox." For his sake I hope he never ends up in jail.

I actually mentioned that last night and she seemed receptive to helping me out.

And as an aside, I'd hate to have you guys think I'm a total pig. She was something of a bigger girl when we started dating but now her entire body composition and shape has changed...

Look you are not a pig because you would like your significant other to look a little better. Adding a lot of weight isn't a good thing not just because it looks bad but because it is unhealthy. I couldn't date someone I wasn't physically attracted too and who didn't want to eat right and take care of themselves. At the same time a smoking hot girl who is an idiot (and I know a bunch of them) I have no desire to date either. You aren't being a pig you are admitting that she has changed and it bothers you.

<snip>

*True story: While hanging out and drinking beers and swimming with a few people I saw a dude with a tat on his lower back spells out his last name. His last name is "Tarbox." For his sake I hope he never ends up in jail.

LOL I saw a greeting card once that had two images on the cover:

top: a woman's lower back with a small bear tattoo in the middle

bottom: a heavier woman's lower back with a bear trying desperately to escape being squeezed between two enormous butt cheeks

$100 says Jo completes the butterfly trifecta....

Bad bet.

I have pilot's wings on my hipbone and ... an armadillo on my ribs.

The armadillo is a pretty silly one, I admit, but hey, they're my favorite little animal and how can I get too serious with that permanently on my body?

I would love to have my friend in Arizona do a full sleeve on me someday, but I'd have to wait for my parents to pass. They're apoplectic as it is about the two tiny easily hidden by a swimsuit ones I have.

I've got some friends with some pretty horrible tattoos. The kid I know who got his last name tattooed in HUGE letters from top of shoulders to lower back.... "BEAN". He's the nerdiest little dude... it just... it's better than "Tarbox" for sure but it's still hilarious.

Edited by Josie914

9) Since I moved south I have developed a good taste for beer and it is one of the things I enjoy most. There are several bartenders that know me and on home game days it is awesome being 6 ppl back from the bar and just having to catch their eye. I tip them well too because I remember working the service industry and it sucks.

I avoid any establishment that has a herd of patrons 6 deep at the bar. Too old and grumpy for that ######. I'd rather walk into a bar where it's me and bartender...period.

I'm hoping that nerdy also got "BEAN" because of Ender's Shadow. I've been wanting to get a tattoo since I turned 18, but nothing seems right so far. I've given honest thought to a Hylian shield on my ribs.

hylian_shield_vector_by_reptiletc-d49y46o.png

Well the consensus so far is that you'll be an undesirable looking freak if you get one so there's that.

I avoid any establishment that has a herd of patrons 6 deep at the bar. Too old and grumpy for that ######. I'd rather walk into a bar where it's me and bartender...period.

I hate crowded bars. Or crowded anything for that matter. I love hitting the local pub for lunch on a Sunday. Me, the bartender, and just a couple of the regular crowd.

I'm hoping that nerdy also got "BEAN" because of Ender's Shadow. I've been wanting to get a tattoo since I turned 18, but nothing seems right so far. I've given honest thought to a Hylian shield on my ribs.

Nope- his last name is Bean. I can only think of Rowan Atkinson when I see him.

video game/nerd culture tats- most of my coworkers have those. Triforce, Metal Gear Solid, various pokemon things, code, basic life UI, etc.

I realized the other day that if I were to get married, all of my bridesmaids save my sister would be covered in tats. They've got some beautiful work. My mum was like, what kind of dress would you choose for them so to cover that up? I told her I would let them pick anything they wanted, to show off their artwork. She wasn't too pleased.

Diffr'nt stroke for diffr'nt folks.

video game/nerd culture tats- most of my coworkers have those. Triforce, Metal Gear Solid, various pokemon things, code, basic life UI, etc.

My wife wants us to get matching ones. She would get: { } and I would get < />

In web development land, style/design code goes in the braces (css), and functional code goes in the angle brackets (html/php/javascript).

I am afraid of tattoos.

Right now I'm thinking about getting a small 42 somewheres. I also have been thinking about a game of thrones-y coat of arms. Whenever it's after 10 pm in our house and anybody makes even the slightest noise, they will be met with my mom whisper yelling "GRAMMA IS SLEEPING!!" My sister's boyfriend pointed out that those would be our house words.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.