2014 Unrestricted Free Agency - Sabres Strategy

IKnowPhysics

61 members have voted

1. 1. When considering quality and quantity of UFAs to pursue, the Sabres should:

• abandon the tank. Pursue UFA players that will immediately and significantly improve the team.
    • not necessarily abandon the tank, but partly improve the team long term. Pursue UFA players that may not significantly or immediately improve the team, but may be quality supplemental players to our prospects.
    • go hardcore tank. Do not pursue UFA players above beyond what is necessary to maintain roster/payroll minimums.
    • do some other thing.
  2. 2. When considering what to do with rising prospects and their potential to fill in roster gaps, the Sabres should:

• let the prospects to compete for roster spots on the NHL team.
    • pursue UFAs to fill NHL roster spots and let the prospects develop in the farm system.
    • do some other thing.

July 1 is about six weeks away.

Here's the ever-changing list of UFAs: http://www.capgeek.com/ufa-finder/

Here's our roster as-is: http://www.capgeek.com/sabres/

What's the best way for the Sabres to proceed?

Go after big UFAs or build for the future or tank the ever loving ###### out of this season? Bring up the kids who can play or let them work in the AHL for a while whilst bringing in UFAs to fill the open spots?

We don't have to immediately start a tire fire about whether or not the Sabres can attract quality UFAs; this is more of a discussion about whether they should try to this year. A poll's included to get the conversation started.

I like to sign Ott and / or Callahan.

I would like to have characters on the team which can show our rookies how to play with heart and soul.

Yes we won't be lowest seed, but we have to invest in this, to form our rookies.

This team could easily add Ott and Callahan and still be the worst in the league. That said, I'm on board for one last epic tank. Sign some filler UFAs to get to the floor, maybe a 3rd line center who can play defense, and let the good times roll.

This is not a provocation but rather a sincere inquiry. Wtf is this obsession with a journeyman like Ott? We have 10 picks in the first two rounds over the next two tears. That kind of talent won't learn anything from Ott or Callahan for that matter. Hossa? Jagr? Iginla? Perhaps. But Ott is a fourth line player on his best day. Is he likeable, sure. But I want to shoot higher than modeling a team around grinders like Ott.

My take:

FAs: If there is a unique talent 30 or under that is not typically available in FA who is willing to entertain offers, you go after them. I'm talking the 1 in 100 FA types who are not available every year. But they must not be 31 years old on July 1. Beyond them, don't sign anything that you could get next summer.

Rooks: I don't buy into the "pushed too hard too early so they failed" bit. Get them all up in the big leagues. If they fall apart, better to know what you have.

Maybe sign a veteran player or two. He doesn't need to be very skilled, necessarily, but a guy with a locker room presence. Someone to teach them work ethic and show them the ropes, pick them up when they are down from mistakes and such. Yes, we we still finish last but make as good as an environment as you can considering we will be finishing last.

As far as the making space for youngsters goes, any player whom the coaches think is ready for the Nhl, bring Em I'm. As long as they're actually ready and we don't burn off the first couple years of their ETC when they're in the nhl

Edited by Naulter8

This is not a provocation but rather a sincere inquiry. Wtf is this obsession with a journeyman like Ott? We have 10 picks in the first two rounds over the next two tears. That kind of talent won't learn anything from Ott or Callahan for that matter. Hossa? Jagr? Iginla? Perhaps. But Ott is a fourth line player on his best day. Is he likeable, sure. But I want to shoot higher than modeling a team around grinders like Ott.

Agreed. I think people just fell in love with his personality. He's nothing to get excited about. He's hardly more impactful than a Derek Roy.

I'm on board the Ott/Callahan/Orpik train because we are bad enough that it won't derail the tank.

The can be dished off at the deadline if they threaten to do that.

I do not want to be as bad as last year, it was tough to watch.

And it's important to establish with the kids that there's a right way of doing things.

We can improve 10 or 15 points and still be in prime contention for Eichel/McDavid.

Edited by dudacek

How about this? Do you want third line NHL talent or first line talent from various other professional leagues/national teams? Which would be more valuable to young players?

It has been said by others in previous off-seasons that it is becoming increasingly difficult to find quality and value in free agency. This years free agent crop is a great example of this opinion. Looking through the UFA listing on Cap Geek there just hasn't been many players that I actually stopped at and gave a second thought. Paul Statsny? Not at $6+ mil a year. Benoit Pouliot could be a possibility, he's had a good playoffs which may price him out of the Sabres reach. Devin Setoguchi, again depending on the price.

Edited by deluca67

The interesting thing about this question is whether TM might have a different take on rebuilding than the folks who hired him (and, yes, I use folks in the same way W. used it to describe the terrorists on 9/11). TM has said something like he wants to build the right way, but it doesn't have to take years. Maybe he wants to cash in some of the precious picks in the short term for NHL talent. What would the Pittsburgh contingent say about that? Murray will have to remember the advice given to him by some other GMs when he took the job — that you have to listen to your owner.

It has been said by others in previous off-seasons that it is becoming increasingly difficult to find quality and value in free agency. This years free agent crop is a great example of this opinion. Looking through the UFA listing on Cap Geek there just hasn't been many players that I actually stopped at and gave a second thought. Paul Statsny? Not at $6+ mil a year. Benoit Pouliot could be a possibility, he's had a good playoffs which may price him out of the Sabres reach. Devin Setoguchi, again depending on the price.

Pretty much thought the same way.

Not a very interesting UFA year.

Edited by Kristian

I think Pouliot would be a terrific addition. I expect the Rangers will re-sign him, however.

I like Stasny at 6 million. It's not like Buffalo has a cap problem. If he comes on at 5, 6, or 7 million it doesn't much matter. Center is a position to overpay for.

Make that move and Nolan can make some lines. The lines he has to throw out there now are a joke. Everyone is playing a line/ or a league above their level.

I don't think the Sabres will be very active in FA this off-season.

Nor, do I think they should be.

IMO, it is to early to spend in FA, which I view as a tool to be used once the building blocks are in place. A way to add bits and pieces once we start to see the young players develop.

At best I see them adding some role-players (3rd line types) and we have plenty of those on the roster already.

Any free agent worth a damn won't want anything to do with the Sabres next season.

Agreed. The thought of overpaying to get them here bugs the shite out of me. Watching Leino produce and contribute the last few years was like a chinese water torture. Thats not to say that anyone we sign would mirror Leino but there's a time to go after quality free agents. I think they'll go after 2nd tier types to fill holes.

Get Ott and Callahan for forward leadership. Bring back Tallinder, and get Orpik to a 1 year deal at 6 mil to help reach the floor. Then if he wishes to play for a playoff team we can always take 50% of his contract and trade him before resigning him.

The only player I'd sign who would likely effect the tank a bit would be Matt Moulson, who alone I don't think will win us to many more games but would give our young forwards someone to work with who's a consistent competitor.

I'd be open to shopping Ehrhoff if we can get a ransom for him since he appears unhappy to be here.

Get Ott and Callahan for forward leadership. Bring back Tallinder, and get Orpik to a 1 year deal at 6 mil to help reach the floor. Then if he wishes to play for a playoff team we can always take 50% of his contract and trade him before resigning him.

The only player I'd sign who would likely effect the tank a bit would be Matt Moulson, who alone I don't think will win us to many more games but would give our young forwards someone to work with who's a consistent competitor.

I'd be open to shopping Ehrhoff if we can get a ransom for him since he appears unhappy to be here.

I don't think Orpik is going to a last place team. If you want to pay Callahan over 5 million a season which I don't think he's worth considering all the injuries he has already had. I could see bring back Ott for a leadership role but I see guys getting signed for cheap. Why try to improve that much when this is the key draft year.

Any free agent worth a damn won't want anything to do with the Sabres next season.

I agree that's why I hope Murray stands pat this year. After the 2015 draft then we can sign some key free agents.

Oh I'd love for them to sign Callahan , Ott and moulson. The later two loved their time in buffalo and are already rumoured to want to come back.

But all 3 also know Buffalo will overpay for them to reach cap floor alone. That being said i'd love to see what hodgson does on a line centering moulson and callahan.

With these 3 we'll loose less but don't think we'll get out of the two last spots. but I consider them to lay the foundation of a great 2015-2016 season.

Where our two 2015 top picks will make an immediate impact on the roster and we also sign Patrick Kane and nick foligno. :D

If that happens im going on a week of partying and boozing :D

It's not a question of what Ott can teach them from a talent perspective.

But he can teach and preach volumes on "hockey character" and what it means to be a pro on and off the ice. This facet of veteran leadership on a young team cannot be overstated.

GO BILLS!!!

I know we've addressed it time and time again but apparently not everyone has been inundated with the subject like the rest of us. The Sabres will not need to sign any big $$$ UFA to reach the cap floor. They are currently $14 mill under the cap with a multitude of RFA's to sign. Those contracts will easily amount to $10-12 mill, leaving only 2-4 million to reach the floor. It's not going to be an issue.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.