2014 Unrestricted Free Agency - Sabres Strategy

IKnowPhysics

61 members have voted

1. 1. When considering quality and quantity of UFAs to pursue, the Sabres should:

• abandon the tank. Pursue UFA players that will immediately and significantly improve the team.
    • not necessarily abandon the tank, but partly improve the team long term. Pursue UFA players that may not significantly or immediately improve the team, but may be quality supplemental players to our prospects.
    • go hardcore tank. Do not pursue UFA players above beyond what is necessary to maintain roster/payroll minimums.
    • do some other thing.
  2. 2. When considering what to do with rising prospects and their potential to fill in roster gaps, the Sabres should:

• let the prospects to compete for roster spots on the NHL team.
    • pursue UFAs to fill NHL roster spots and let the prospects develop in the farm system.
    • do some other thing.

Thought it was hip, but yea. Wonder if teams have anything on that front. They obviously checked him out.

You were correct it was hip

Kris Baker @SabresProspects

I'm concerned about Demko's possible hip issues. I should have more info later today, but it seems it could scare some teams.

Hopefully he is taken 5 rounds before the Sabres even think about a goalie

Yes. I am starting to see a trend where Goalies are more interchangeable then they once were. I think you can get good GT and win the cup but it doesn't guarantee anything.

Yes. I am starting to see a trend where Goalies are more interchangeable then they once were. I think you can get good GT and win the cup but it doesn't guarantee anything.

Tell that to the Blues, Miller certainly seemed to throw them off (by no fault of anyone other than the management).

You were correct it was hip

Kris Baker @SabresProspects

I'm concerned about Demko's possible hip issues. I should have more info later today, but it seems it could scare some teams.

Goalies/NHL = Running backs/NFL Interchangeable.

Goalies/NHL = Running backs/NFL Interchangeable.

I wouldn't say, they're interchangeable. Quick certainly assisted in boosting the Kings over the Hawks, as did Lunquist over all but LAK. However, I think its a far finer line; as in there are elite goalies, great goalies, and pretty much everyone else. Really only the elite goalies are truly special (the Adrian Petersons of the NHL)but they are still dependent on the rest of their team's skill. An elite goalie and even a great goalie gives a team a safety net of sorts when they have an off night or sustain injuries.

So in essence.....

Great team, elite goalie = A+

Great team, great goalie = A

Great team, average goalie = B

Average/Bad team, elite goalie = B-

Average/Bad team, great goalie = C

Average/Bad team, average goalie = D

I wouldn't say, they're interchangeable. Quick certainly assisted in boosting the Kings over the Hawks, as did Lunquist over all but LAK. However, I think its a far finer line; as in there are elite goalies, great goalies, and pretty much everyone else. Really only the elite goalies are truly special (the Adrian Petersons of the NHL)but they are still dependent on the rest of their team's skill. An elite goalie and even a great goalie gives a team a safety net of sorts when they have an off night or sustain injuries.

So in essence.....

Great team, elite goalie = A+

Great team, great goalie = A

Great team, average goalie = B

Average/Bad team, elite goalie = B-

Average/Bad team, great goalie = C

Average/Bad team, average goalie = D

Put Lundquist on the Pens. There. That explains it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.