2014 Unrestricted Free Agency - Sabres Strategy

IKnowPhysics

61 members have voted

1. 1. When considering quality and quantity of UFAs to pursue, the Sabres should:

• abandon the tank. Pursue UFA players that will immediately and significantly improve the team.
    • not necessarily abandon the tank, but partly improve the team long term. Pursue UFA players that may not significantly or immediately improve the team, but may be quality supplemental players to our prospects.
    • go hardcore tank. Do not pursue UFA players above beyond what is necessary to maintain roster/payroll minimums.
    • do some other thing.
  2. 2. When considering what to do with rising prospects and their potential to fill in roster gaps, the Sabres should:

• let the prospects to compete for roster spots on the NHL team.
    • pursue UFAs to fill NHL roster spots and let the prospects develop in the farm system.
    • do some other thing.

We should get a few UFAs to get to the cap floor. UFAs that will help guide our youth and fit in with the coaches system, and possibly as a bonus stick around longer in a support/3rd line role. Puts some rims on the tank, and maybe a better sound system.

SNIP

And so, tank on!

post-4419-0-74651700-1403184294_thumb.jpg

post-4419-0-13379700-1403184267_thumb.jpg

Yep, lots of good UFAs will be banging down the Sabres door to go 20-52-10 next year. Hopefully, they'll all take overpaid short-term contracts so we can dump them when the team gets good.

In reality, the only way the Sabres are going to attract players is overpay them in both money and years. Not many players are going to sign up to "The Sabres should be good in a couple years just when my contract is running out" vs. "The Rangers have a shot next year" or "The Pens are retooling a bit for a few more runs before Crosby/Malkin are too old/broken". Paying extra sounds fine now because we have cap space, but I'll be pretty pissed if we have Hecht or Leino-like albatross contracts hanging around when these promising draft picks are looking for their next contracts.

(I didn't mind Hecht, just not for the money he was getting paid)

I look forward to when Pat Kane re-signs with the Blackhawks. Then all this nonsense about him coming to buffalo can just go away.

#Kane2023

Here are two pictures to make tankalicious happy:

I like it better when it's my girlfriend saying that, but I'll take it.

I agree wholeheartedly with everything you said. If it's not a big bargain or somebody that can truly be a vital piece on a contender then don't waste your time this offseason.

I'm pretty sure TM is on record for saying that you use FA to make a run into the playoffs, not to build the foundation of a team (which is done via the draft). Therefore, I don't expect to them to sign anyone worth a darn and rightfully so. I do see them taking on some salary dumps to get to the salary cap floor, but I wouldn't do so at the expense of winning.

Am I the only one interested in the Sabres picking up Jonas Hiller? I like the ideas of an Enroth/Hiller goalie rotation. I'm not saying break the bank on Hiller, but if the Sabres can sign him for 2-3 years at between $3-4 mil a year, I think there is great value there.

Am I the only one interested in the Sabres picking up Jonas Hiller? I like the ideas of an Enroth/Hiller goalie rotation. I'm not saying break the bank on Hiller, but if the Sabres can sign him for 2-3 years at between $3-4 mil a year, I think there is great value there.

You can be interested in it yes. Unless Neuvirth or Enroth is traded, they are not perusing him.

I get the impression Murray is more interested in larger goalies (like every other position...). I could see trading off Enroth for a Neuvirth/Hiller tandem if he has any interest in Hiller in the first place.

Edited by sizzlemeister

I get the impression Murray is more interested in larger goalies (like every other position...). I could see trading off Enroth for a Neuvirth/Hiller tandEm if he has any interest in Hiller in the first place.

It's no secret. He loves big goalies.

Edited by X. Benedict

I like our goaltending heading into next season

It will simply be two former second-round picks, at the age they should be emerging, battling for a big contract and/or the right to be a number one — here or elsewhere.

It will be interesting and I wish we had similar fights going on elsewhere in the lineup.

The exciting thing is our plethora of draft picks means that will be the case in the future.

Internal competition is awesome, and Ted Nolan is the right guy to use that tool.

Neuvirth/Hiller would be my rotation. Yes I'd dump Enroth to the curb.

I've heard Murray mention big goalies once in my life. He also said yesterday that he likes athletic goalies. That could also be twisted into implying that he likes goaltenders just like Enroth.

I think people over-analyze what is said.

I've heard Murray mention big goalies once in my life. He also said yesterday that he likes athletic goalies. That could also be twisted into implying that he likes goaltenders just like Enroth.

I think people over-analyze what is said.

Pretty sure I read somewhere, or heard on WGR, that he had a hand in drafting Robin Lehner...who is 6-5, 220 lbs, drafted in the 2nd round.

Whatever that is worth, maybe not much...I have no clue, just thought it was worth sharing.

*I found this too...which is pretty interesting, lol.

"With that debut at 19 years, two months and 24 days Lehner became the youngest Swedish goaltender to play in the NHL, breaking Jhonas Enroth's record of 21 years, four months and 13 days."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robin_Lehner

I'll take all 3, Orpik and Shawn Thorton and trade Ehrhoff. That'd be a group of good characters for our many youngsters to learn from.

1 for each offensive line, Ellis captains Rochester and Orpik would bring a vet leader for the D. Get 1 more vet Dman and then fill the roster with whosever left so we can limit the amount of youngsters on this losing franchise. Plus all the forwards would be of use for the next 5 years or so thus helping the transition.

Moulson-Ennis-Stafford

Hodgson-Girgs-Callahan

Ott-Foligno-Stewart

Thorton-Flynn-Kaleta

I can't quite figure out what to do with Stewart or Stafford in the end, we just have so much riffraff that trying to set up a solid group of vets is a tad difficult. The other three players I see future problems with are Hodgson, Foligno, and Kaleta since in the assumption we take Reinhart and "McDavid" I can't fit those 3 + the other two comfortably.

Moulson-McDavid- Girgs?

Ennis-Reinhart-(Stafford/Stewart)

Ott- Hodgson- Callahan

Thorton-Foligno-Flynn

Kaleta

Risto-Zadorov

Myers-Pysyk

McCabe-Weber/Orpik

If they have gone through all of this garbage in the past 1-2 years, for THIS?!?! I give up. And IF this team DID make the playoffs...you're technically giving up a shot at Connor McDavid, for Shawn Thornton, Patrick Kaleta, 8th place and a first round exit.

I'd probably find the closest bridge and jump off of it...but, then again, that would be typical Buffalo, half-ass something just to get it done.

Edited by Bob Malooga

Very interesting, thanks. Seems to be quite an influx of Swedish goaltenders over the last several years.

You're welcome.

And besides Lundqvist...I think one could argue that Enroth has been right at the top as one of the better ones, especially in international play.

(Feel free to correct me if I am wrong on that, somebody? But, didn't he just lead Sweden to gold last summer?)

Pretty sure I read somewhere, or heard on WGR, that he had a hand in drafting Robin Lehner...who is 6-5, 220 lbs, drafted in the 2nd round.

Whatever that is worth, maybe not much...I have no clue, just thought it was worth sharing.

"With that debut at 19 years, two months and 24 days Lehner became the youngest Swedish goaltender to play in the NHL, breaking Jhonas Enroth's record of 21 years, four months and 13 days."

He had a hand in draft three goaltenders that are 6'3" or over in a 4-5 year span. All in the first three rounds. I think he'll draft one this year in either Demko, Minney or McDonald. I honestly don't know much about any of the goalies aside from the top few and a guy a little later in Blake Weyrick.

You're welcome.

And besides Lundqvist...I think one could argue that Enroth has been right at the top as one of the better ones, especially in international play.

(Feel free to correct me if I am wrong on that, somebody? But, didn't he just lead Sweden to gold last summer?)

Yes he did. Jacob Markstrom was his backup.

http://www.examiner.com/article/jhonas-enroth-leads-team-sweden-to-gold-iihf-world-championship

He had a hand in draft three goaltenders that are 6'3" or over in a 4-5 year span. All in the first three rounds. I think he'll draft one this year in either Demko, Minney or McDonald. I honestly don't know much about any of the goalies aside from the top few and a guy a little later in Blake Weyrick.

He also traded for Ben Bishop.

If they have gone through all of this garbage in the past 1-2 years, for THIS?!?! I give up. And IF this team DID make the playoffs...you're technically giving up a shot at Connor McDavid, for Shawn Thornton, Patrick Kaleta, 8th place and a first round exit.

I'd probably find the closest bridge and jump off of it...but, then again, that would be typical Buffalo, half-ass something just to get it done.

I'm not all that sure why you're so terrified of that lineup...... who is going to be the big goal scorer? The first line is just what we had between Nolan's arrival and the Deadline, the second line potentially could do well, and beside Stewart no one in the bottom 6 will hit 15 without substantial PP time. I'm all for losing to get to McDavid, but at very least I want a team that's competitive and entertaining to watch.And if they're doing 10th place pace, just trade Stafford and Stewart. If we want the Girgs and Ristos of the team to get better, we have to at very least give them a tad more competitive of a roster, not enough to go to the playoffs, but one that won't be 10 points from the next nearest team with the fewest goals in NHL history.

Get Ott and Callahan for forward leadership. Bring back Tallinder, and get Orpik to a 1 year deal at 6 mil to help reach the floor. Then if he wishes to play for a playoff team we can always take 50% of his contract and trade him before resigning him.

The only player I'd sign who would likely effect the tank a bit would be Matt Moulson, who alone I don't think will win us to many more games but would give our young forwards someone to work with who's a consistent competitor.

I'd be open to shopping Ehrhoff if we can get a ransom for him since he appears unhappy to be here.

Talinder? No thanks. Too far past the expiration date.

Hopefully he is taken 5 rounds before the Sabres even think about a goalie

He's not the tallest Finn or Swede in the 7th. :)

Seriously, I don't think Demko's a Sabre unless he lasts to #61. Maybe a small chance of Demko at #49 if Sabre don't move.

Personally, I think he'll be a NJ Devil at #41.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.