Official 2015 NHL Draft Thread

LGR4GM

I've always joked that I'd draft centers with every single pick until our NHL roster has 3 who belong in a contender's top-9. I kind of look at it differently than you do: if you take Hanifin, you better be damn sure you're getting Doughty and not Bouwmeester. NHL teams need one #1 defenseman, and we have ours (I am completely convinced Risto is that guy), and we might have a second in Zadorov. Even if Marner or Strome end up only being as good as Patrick Sharp, I think Sharp helps this roster a *lot* more than Bouwmeester.

I think Marner is going to be a step below Patty Kane with more of a 2-way game. I am interested to see what Marner's weight and height are actually at the combine.  I have heard that some think he is about 6' 175lbs these days but nothing I'd stake my name on.

Wouldn't it have been great if he was born two days earlier?  Who do we end up with Connor, Jack or Matthew?

I wouldn't have cared, and it would have made this a lot easier...as there would be THREE generational forwards to choose from.

Instead of getting stuck with a defenseman at #3. Lol.

What do you suggest? Take strome or marner over hannifin and just wait for the rebuild to run it's course over the next three years and hope one of them turn out? Draft hannifin and trade him? Trade the pick? Options are there but if hanifin is best available then I want him. What do you do from there?

It kind of depends who picks behind us, if it's Edmonton, I offer them Hanifin and drop down a spot, picking up an extra pick and a much needed center/forward. In my mind, finding elite offensive players, is harder than finding quality defensemen. Look at the Islanders, they found two and it didn't cost them a whole lot.

Gorges, Bogosian, Zadorov, Ristolainen, Pysyk, McCabe...I like our defensemen, but I really think we need more offensive firepower.

Then again, if Murray brings in Toffoli and/or O'Reilly, it would completely change everything. It's super hard to make up my mind, when this could go so many different ways now.

I wouldn't have cared, and it would have made this a lot easier...as there would be THREE generational forwards to choose from.

It kind of depends who picks behind us, if it's Edmonton, I offer them Hanifin and drop down a spot, picking up an extra pick and a much needed center/forward. In my mind, finding elite offensive players, is harder than finding quality defensemen. Look at the Islanders, they found two and it didn't cost them a whole lot.

Gorges, Bogosian, Zadorov, Ristolainen, Pysyk, McCabe...I like our defensemen, but I really think we need more offensive firepower.

Then again, if Murray brings in Toffoli and/or O'Reilly, it would completely change everything. It's super hard to make up my mind, when this could go so many different ways now.

I know that we do have a much bigger need at forward but I'd rather still pick BPA.  If Edmonton is in 4th and really wants Hanifin then maybe that move would work.  Or maybe we just take the forward and not mess around with it.

he is excellent on the backcheck and skates circles around Strome. Seems to me that Strome kinda resembles Grigs in a lot of aspects. Its not like Marner is 5'8 as he is 5'11 still only 17 and compares favorably to Patrick Kane. Skill outweighs size to me in this one.

http://ontariohockeyleague.com/video/index/id/bf91b4fd75ca5e66f58bdd82afbe4b9f

While I agree let's not ignore the buck 60 that Mitch is weighing in at

At 18 I weighed 130 pounds. By 20 I was 180 without doing much differently. Similar height as well

Yeah, at 18, I was 5' 11", 155 lbs (and a collegiate athlete).  By 20, I was 6' 2", 190 lbs.

Edited by carpandean

At 18 I weighed 130 pounds. By 20 I was 180 without doing much differently. Similar height as well

Has nobody mentioned fact that Mitch Marner has 12 points in 3 playoff games?  SEVEN goals in 3 games.  Legend growing.   :worthy:  

That is 4 points per game.  That is 2.3 goals per game when it counts most.

Connor McDavid has 6 points in 4 playoff games.  Two goals in 4 games.  Shrinking violet.  Very bad omen.  Remember when he tried to punch and broke own hand.   :w00t:

1st pick isn't the money spot.  Only a fool would pick McDavid, and we prey on fools.

Switch for Mitch!  They give us the farm for McDavid, and we still will get best player, Marner!

If we pick first, and Arizona picks third, I would switch places for OEL and Domi.  I'd consider it a fleecing.  Would you?

I didn't realize that the Coyotes also have Cristian Dvorak.  Could we get an entire line, best line in OHL, this draft by switching a measly two spots?  

Edited by Anna Akhmatova

If we pick first, and Arizona picks third, I would switch places for OEL and Domi.  I'd consider it a fleecing.  Would you?

I didn't realize that the Coyotes also have Cristian Dvorak.  Could we get an entire line, best line in OHL, this draft by switching a measly two spots?  

No.

giphy.gif

who got stuck with the defeceman last year? and where are they now? There is no way that any team is ever going to say they got stuck with Hanifin.

Yes.

Yeah, at 18, I was 5' 11", 155 lbs (and a collegiate athlete).  By 20, I was 6' 2", 190 lbs.

And at 14, I was 6'2" and 150 lbs; at 18 I was 6'2" and 175, and after that 6'2" and in terrible shape. It's not a given that people grow after 18.

WOW. You would pass up on a generational talent ?

I'd run to the podium and take McDavid and never look back

Draft Profile #7: Ivan Provorov

"Ivan Provorov is a very good stickhandler who protects the puck extremely well.  He has the poise to control the puck at the blue line, and be the powerplay quarterback.  He has good passing skills and vision, as he can make crisp tape-to-tape passes."

Draft Profile #6: Zack Werenski

"a mobile, two-way defender. He has outstanding speed, which gives him the ability to join the rush, or pinch at the blueline and still be able to cover up defensively at the NCAA level. He has outstanding edge work and agility, giving him the ability to walk the line and open up passing and shooting lanes on the powerplay. "

Draft Profile #5: Noah Hanafin

"Noah Hanifin is an excellent two-way player. He is able to quarterback the power play as he possesses a hard and accurate slapshot, one timer, and wrist shot. He understands that he should keep his shots low, in order to get it through traffic and generate rebounds and deflections for his teammates."

Draft Profile #4: Mitch Marner

"Marner may be a little undersized, but that doesn’t stop him from playing a gritty game and getting to the front of the net or battling for pucks in the corners. He is relentless on the forecheck, getting in quickly and causing turnovers. He has developed a much stronger shot this season, and has an excellent release."

Thanks, good Stuff.

Im still hoping that I don't have to worry about Hanifin v Strome v Marner but as a long time fan of Buffalo sports I know its not over till its over!

Something that occurred to me last night is that it wouldn't just be losing McDavid or Eichel and drafting Strome/Hanifin/Marner instead.  It would be 15-20 years of "What if's?"

Every time we play those two, every time they make an all-star team, and, worst of all, if they win the Cup at any point in their careers -- there's going to be a reaction in Buffalo and it won't be good.  People still talk about the Devils missing out on Mario Lemieux but they managed to neutralize that by winning Stanley Cups of their own in the 90s.  Would the Sabres be able to whiff on McDavid and Eichel (after two years of tanking, mind you) and still win the Cup?

What happens in the next 5 days is going to change our team and our fanbase for a generation.

Draft Profile #7: Ivan Provorov

"Ivan Provorov is a very good stickhandler who protects the puck extremely well.  He has the poise to control the puck at the blue line, and be the powerplay quarterback.  He has good passing skills and vision, as he can make crisp tape-to-tape passes."

Draft Profile #6: Zack Werenski

"a mobile, two-way defender. He has outstanding speed, which gives him the ability to join the rush, or pinch at the blueline and still be able to cover up defensively at the NCAA level. He has outstanding edge work and agility, giving him the ability to walk the line and open up passing and shooting lanes on the powerplay. "

Draft Profile #5: Noah Hanafin

"Noah Hanifin is an excellent two-way player. He is able to quarterback the power play as he possesses a hard and accurate slapshot, one timer, and wrist shot. He understands that he should keep his shots low, in order to get it through traffic and generate rebounds and deflections for his teammates."

Draft Profile #4: Mitch Marner

"Marner may be a little undersized, but that doesn’t stop him from playing a gritty game and getting to the front of the net or battling for pucks in the corners. He is relentless on the forecheck, getting in quickly and causing turnovers. He has developed a much stronger shot this season, and has an excellent release."

With our other assets, assuming they are not expended in a trade for a player, what are the chances we can move up and grab Provorov?  What would it cost?   I am thinking slim chance, but that would be a great haul from this draft, assuming a #2 first pick.