Official 2015 NHL Draft Thread

LGR4GM

I don't think we do. Murray said last year he'd have taken Reinhart #1 (which is at least 50/50 total BS, but for the sake of conversation, I'll say he was being honest). If Murray is really into the fancystats (I think he is), then one thing he probably buys into is just how much more important forwards are for possession than defenseman. Couple that with Risto's development and questions about Hanifin's offensive upside, and I think he goes forward.

If he does I really hope it's strome. I think he could have a Monaghan rookie type year.

Last Word on Sports has Strome ranked 3rd in their final rankings

Dylan Strome is outstanding on faceoffs, and is one of the best in the OHL. His defensive game is decent but would be improved if he can work on his first few skating steps. He’s a committed backchecker who supports the defence down low and is willing to do whatever it takes to win games.

Edited by Ligerovich 4GM

Jack Eichel: Last Word on Sports

Once Eichel gets a step on a defender, they are in trouble as he accelerates past them and heads to the front of the net. His agility, and edgework are also extremely good and he can pair them with his stickhandling to elude defenders and create opportunities for a shot or a pass. Eichel has good balance, and is difficult to knock off the puck

If he does I really hope it's strome. I think he could have a Monaghan rookie type year.

I see Strome as a really good #2 Centre - kinda like he is in Erie. Dont forget his production fell off while McDavid was hurt and at the WJC unlike Marner who continued to rip it up while Domi was away from the team.

So I will still contend that the highest skill guy available after McDavid / Eichel is Marner and he should be the one the Sabres target. I could also be talked into Hanifin. This would open the possibility of trading Zadorov or McCabe in a package for another forward.

Just to back up my point.

McDavid missed 20 games and Strome put up 29 points in those games - 1.45PPG  Nothing to sneeze at but in comparison.

Domi missed 9 games and Marner scores 25 points - 2.77PPG.

I

Edited by Crusader1969

I see Strome as a really good #2 Centre - kinda like he is in Erie. Dont forget his production fell off while McDavid was hurt and at the WJC unlike Marner who continued to rip it up while Domi was away from the team.

So I will still contend that the highest skill guy available after McDavid / Eichel is Marner and he should be the one the Sabres target. I could also be talked into Hanifin. This would open the possibility of trading Zadorov or McCabe in a package for another forward.

Just to back up my point.

McDavid missed 20 games and Strome put up 29 points in those games - 1.45PPG  Nothing to sneeze at but in comparison.

Domi missed 9 games and Marner scores 25 points - 2.77PPG.

I

That's a fair point but Marner's games without Domi is a very small sample size.  That 2.77 PPG is actually much better than his 2.0 PPG for the season (with Domi).  It is debatable who should be picked ahead of who but I still go with the big forward.  I have heard Marner is a hard back checker and plays tough despite his size so that's good to hear. 

That's a fair point but Marner's games without Domi is a very small sample size.  That 2.77 PPG is actually much better than his 2.0 PPG for the season (with Domi).  It is debatable who should be picked ahead of who but I still go with the big forward.  I have heard Marner is a hard back checker and plays tough despite his size so that's good to hear. 

he is excellent on the backcheck and skates circles around Strome. Seems to me that Strome kinda resembles Grigs in a lot of aspects. Its not like Marner is 5'8 as he is 5'11 still only 17 and compares favorably to Patrick Kane. Skill outweighs size to me in this one.

http://ontariohockeyleague.com/video/index/id/bf91b4fd75ca5e66f58bdd82afbe4b9f

he is excellent on the backcheck and skates circles around Strome. Seems to me that Strome kinda resembles Grigs in a lot of aspects. Its not like Marner is 5'8 as he is 5'11 still only 17 and compares favorably to Patrick Kane. Skill outweighs size to me in this one.

http://ontariohockeyleague.com/video/index/id/bf91b4fd75ca5e66f58bdd82afbe4b9f

Would you go Hannifin or Marner at 3?

WGR had someone from NHL.com on this morning and he said that having either of McDeichel would be better than having any TWO of anyone else after them in the rankings. Better than having Hanifan and Strome, Strome and Marner, etc. Perhaps the highest praise I've heard yet. 

GO SABRES!!!

WGR had someone from NHL.com on this morning and he said that having either of McDeichel would be better than having any TWO of anyone else after them in the rankings. Better than having Hanifan and Strome, Strome and Marner, etc. Perhaps the highest praise I've heard yet. 

GO SABRES!!!

I think it was Dan Marr from Central Scouting.

I really haven`t seen enough of Hanifin to say one way or the other. Im not against drafting D high - wasnt opposed to Ekblad last year.

If they do draft Hanifin it does open the door to trade one of the other top D prospects for a forward. Its also insurance in case Pysyk can`t make a full recovery which would not only be devastating for him but also the organization.

At the end of the day the Sabres are going to get one hell of a player even if they end up drafting 3rd. Though, I will always have a tough time imagining what could have been with Eichel as your top centre and Reinhart 2nd Line for the next 12 - 15 years.

I take Marner. His skating and tenacity coupled with his shot and the fact he's a rw.  Hanifin is simply lacking something for me.  Also I think you can draft later in the 1st and still get great defenders.  You can't draft late and get great scorers.  The only exception is Martin St. Louis who went undrafted... huh a short guy being counted out, interesting. 

Mathematically speaking, if true, that means a team couldn't trade #3 overall and #4 overall for #2 overall or #1 overall.

Sort of sets up the impossible price of trading up.

Currently not even close but considering we have 50 pages of draft thread, that's impressive.

Hahhaha, nice old find.  I think because of the Carrion thread it took the huge hit.  If I remember correctly, all tank talk was held in the 2014 NHL Draft thread last year.

I saw one outlet that had Strome over Eichel.

Pretty sure that was an April Fools Day post.  It would be bigger news than it was and would be so far from what Central Scouting says.

Mathematically speaking, if true, that means a team couldn't trade #3 overall and #4 overall for #2 overall or #1 overall.

Sort of sets up the impossible price of trading up.

I have no doubt that #3 and #4 wouldn't get you either #1 or #2.  I can't imagine what, if anything, could get it done, but I can all but guarantee that you wouldn't want to pay it.

Pretty sure that was an April Fools Day post.  It would be bigger news than it was and would be so far from what Central Scouting says.

I have no doubt that #3 and #4 wouldn't get you either #1 or #2.  I can't imagine what, if anything, could get it done, but I can all but guarantee that you wouldn't want to pay it.

actually it was ESPN hockey insider and moving Strome from 3 to 2 would hardly be April Fool's worthy.  They basically think that Strome finished stronger than Eichel.  Personally I think Strome has more to work on than Jack.

GO SABRES!!!

Probably the worst thing we could have heard after last night. :(

That said, I guess I'm skeptical.  How many more PPG will Eichel have then Marner or Strome?  I might take the two PPG first-liners versus the single generational guy.  (The Sabres don't have this option so it doesn't matter.)

GO SABRES!!!

You really need to drop that spelling.  You make him sound like an irish lesbian... but then again, it is Boston so there may very well be a few of those running around.

You really need to drop that spelling.  You make him sound like an irish lesbian... but then again, it is Boston so there may very well be a few of those running around.

I can't help it if you insist on projecting your own particular Freudian sexual fantasies into my preferred spelling. 

I prefer "McDeichel" because it adds more of McDavids name (after all, he's not just a mick, he's a mick-"D") while retaining all of Eichels. And it's just more phonetically pleasing as well. Perhaps not as pleasing as an Irish lesbian, but to each his own. 

GO SABRES!!!

If you look at our depth chart, Marner is the best fit.

But you better be sure he is Kane, not Ennis, because Hanifan's floor is Bouwmeester and his ceiling is Lidstrom.

If you think Strome is the best talent, you take him, but you may already have him in Grigorenko.

Edited by dudacek

If you look at our depth chart, Marner is the best fit.

But you better be sure he is Kane, not Ellis, because Hanifan's floor is Bouwmeester and his ceiling is Lidstrom.

If you think Strome is the best talent, you take him, but you may already have him in Grigorenko.

I've always joked that I'd draft centers with every single pick until our NHL roster has 3 who belong in a contender's top-9. I kind of look at it differently than you do: if you take Hanifin, you better be damn sure you're getting Doughty and not Bouwmeester. NHL teams need one #1 defenseman, and we have ours (I am completely convinced Risto is that guy), and we might have a second in Zadorov. Even if Marner or Strome end up only being as good as Patrick Sharp, I think Sharp helps this roster a *lot* more than Bouwmeester.

Hahhaha, nice old find.  I think because of the Carrion thread it took the huge hit.  If I remember correctly, all tank talk was held in the 2014 NHL Draft thread last year.

Yeah if we added the Carrion's whopping 127 pages (seriously guys?) then this thread would have hit 178 pages and counting.