Official 2015 NHL Draft Thread

LGR4GM

Historically, what kind of return (NHL player) can a late #1 and a top of #2 round pick expect?

Last year: Ryan Kessler traded for the 24th (other stuff was involved)

2013: Cory Schneider for the 9th

2012: Jordan Staal for the 8th (and other stuff)

2011: Jeff Carter for the 8th (and other stuff), Kris Versteeg for the 25th and a 3rd, Troy Brouwer for the 26th

late 1st round stuff appears to be a bunch of meh to me.

Edited by Vodka Bottle of Emotion

You have to think that since Murray has been to Erie many times this season, that he's taking a good look at Strome as well as McDavid. Of course, McDavid is no mystery.

I would not be surprised, at all, if the Sabres did not win the lottery, that the third or fourth, or second and third picks would be available to the teams with the fourth or fifth picks (obviously, I'm projecting and trying to cover as much potential ground as possible). I'm not sure Murray is in love with Eichel based on what I've heard/read him say. The evidence suggests he's been scouting Strome heavily.

So, say the Sabres wind up with the second pick, and say Toronto winds up with pick five. I think it's quite possible Murray goes after Kessel and the five pick for his second and maybe a prospect like Grigorenko. Or some such deal where Murray ends up with a solid top-tier player and able to take Strome in the draft.

If he gets the second pick and trades back I'll be livid. It won't happen...

Third or fourth? Maybe.

If he gets the second pick and trades back I'll be livid. It won't happen...

Third or fourth? Maybe.

I haven't seen where he talks highly of Eichel, have you? If I had something contrary to what I have offered as "evidence", I'm willing to listen. But I really think it's possible he skips on Eichel if it lands him a proven top forward and Strome.

Edited by SiZzlEmIsTEr

I haven't seen where he talks highly of Eichel, have you? If I had something contrary to what I have offered as "evidence", I'm willing to listen. But I really think it's possible he skips on Eichel if it lands him a proven top forward and Strome.

I've seen plenty of high thoughts on Eichel from Murray. He isn't stupid. He isn't just randomly the only person in the universe with a negative opinion of Eichel.

Looking at the teams at 3-4-5... I don't know who would have anything worthwhile. If it's Arizona -- nobody. Edmonton -- plenty, but if it's not Taylor Hall or RNH it's a waste of time. Toronto? Maybe Kessel, but we've been down the road of building from the outside with a guy like Kessel. Carolina? Nobody.

Edited by Tank

I've seen plenty of high thoughts on Eichel from Murray. He isn't stupid. He isn't just randomly the only person in the universe with a negative opinion of Eichel.

Dude, please don't exaggerate what I'm saying. I know you hate it when people do that to you. I did not say he had a negative opinion of Eichel, I said he doesn't seem to be in love with him, or talk highly of him. Be cool.

Dude, please don't exaggerate what I'm saying. I know you hate it when people do that to you. I did not say he had a negative opinion of Eichel, I said he doesn't seem to be in love with him, or talk highly of him. Be cool.

He's talked highly of both. You know who he had some negative things to say about? Dylan Strome. I don't think he's trading back to pick him up.

I do try and dismiss the attitude in your posts, but it is challenging sometimes.

Anyway, I've not heard or read him talking down Strome. If you have links, please provide.

I stand by my thought, regardless. The several scouting trips by Murray himself to see Erie is suspicious enough; why go watch McDavid again and again? And if Murray has been talking down Strome, I wonder why a clever GM possibly in a position to draft said player would do that explicitly..?

I do try and dismiss the attitude in your posts, but it is challenging sometimes.

Anyway, I've not heard or read him talking down Strome. If you have links, please provide.

I stand by my thought, regardless. The several scouting trips by Murray himself to see Erie is suspicious enough; why go watch McDavid again and again? And if Murray has been talking down Strome, I wonder why a clever GM possibly in a position to draft said player would do that explicitly..?

Interesting thoughts. I suppose it's possible, but in my opinion I think it's unlikely that Murray would trade down out of 2. I don't doubt that Murray is indeed making the extra trips to Erie for Strome. But I think this is more of a result of Tim being aware of the very real possibility we finish 29th, and then draft 3rd. In this case, he's getting a read on Strome as compared to Hanifin, as opposed to Eichel.

Personally, I'd be pretty upset if he traded down out of the number 2 slot.

I don't doubt that Murray is indeed making the extra trips to Erie for Strome. But I think this is more of a result of Tim being aware of the very real possibility we finish 29th, and then draft 3rd. In this case, he's getting a read on Strome as compared to Hanifin, as opposed to Eichel.

Every time he sees Erie there are visiting players he may want to see. Baptiste's development is also another factor there.

These.  There likely isn't much doubt that McDavid will and should be #1 and, likewise, Eichel will and should be #2.  At this point, with only a three point lead, a game-in-hand and two head-to-heads, finishing 29th is quite possible (28th is still not ruled out either), which would give them a 66.5% chance of having to pick someone else.  He would be smart to scout the remaining choices (as well as players in their system) and the most convenient place to do it is in Erie.

I will be pissed if they manage to hold get the #2 pick, only to trade down.

Edited by carpandean

You have to think that since Murray has been to Erie many times this season, that he's taking a good look at Strome as well as McDavid. Of course, McDavid is no mystery.

I would not be surprised, at all, if the Sabres did not win the lottery, that the third or fourth, or second and third picks would be available to the teams with the fourth or fifth picks (obviously, I'm projecting and trying to cover as much potential ground as possible). I'm not sure Murray is in love with Eichel based on what I've heard/read him say. The evidence suggests he's been scouting Strome heavily.

So, say the Sabres wind up with the second pick, and say Toronto winds up with pick five. I think it's quite possible Murray goes after Kessel and the five pick for his second and maybe a prospect like Grigorenko. Or some such deal where Murray ends up with a solid top-tier player and able to take Strome in the draft.

I'd be calling for Murray's dismissal immediately if he even entertained that for more than a few seconds. Although Strome is a fine player, the separation between him and Eichel, from what I have seen, is substantial in terms of how quickly they could impact the team.

not trying to be a wet blanket here, but what happens if a draft pick chooses to not sign with the team that drafts him

You end up with a megatrade. He can choose not to sign, but he can't sign with anyone else. Unless its the KHL.

He was on hhotline at the beginning of the month and said McEichel. I would infer he shares the feeling of others who lump the 2 togethor as 1 and 1a. He also was critical of Strome's skating ability and speed processing the game. Not dismissive. Couldnbe setting a smokescreen as well.

not trying to be a wet blanket here, but what happens if a draft pick chooses to not sign with the team that drafts him

Not going to happen.  Especially with either of the top 2 not wanting to sign with Buffalo.  Not worth a second thought.

I just said Eichel. If the Sabres win the lotto, there's no question we take McDavid.

Still silly. :) Essentially, you're saying, "I didn't get Crosby? Well, screw it, I don't want Stamkos*, I'll trade that pick for Kessel and nuVanek."

* I don't know that Stamkos is the right guy for the comparison, but that's the caliber of player at worst.

We better win the lottery this year, Eichel isn't even the best college player in New England...

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/729460

Eh, he's two years older and has 49 less points (though 7 more goals). I'm not too worried. :) What I am worried about is there's apparently a "State of New England" that I had no knowledge of.

I misspoke, I mean trading out of a chance at grabbing Eichel. 

If BUF ends up drafting #2 they're taking Eichel, no question.  

If they draft #3, they may trade back a spot and take Strome.    If they do end up with Strome, they'll be in the mix (IMHO) for #1 next season (Matthews).    I know it sounds ridiculous to start looking at the 2016 draft, but the reality is if they don't get McEichel (and ARI does), they'll be right back in the mix for the top pick next season as well.  

Auston Matthews is bigger than Eichel and is putting up slightly better numbers than he did in the USNTDP as a 17 year old.     He's the real deal.   He's an Arizona kid, so I can imagine ARI doing everything they can to nab him next season.   Imagine the fanfare if an ARI kid turns into a superstar in the desert.  

So that means if ARI ends up picking #2 OA  and BUF  #3 OA this year, there's a very real chance for BUF to trade up into ARI's spot (Eichel) if they put together a package that includes next years #1 pick.   ARI will be bad next year with or without McEichel, so if they can grab Hanifin and BUF's number #1 next season to improve their chances at Matthews, then the deal makes sense and is a win/win for both teams. 

With the changes to the lottery system and additions/promotions of Kane, Pysyk, possibly McCabe and Reinhart, a healthy Bogo and Girgs and any other offseason additions, I don't see us at the bottom next year.  We won't be a playoff team but you can see how hard it is to finish DFL even when trying.  I would think we will probably be around 8th worst.  Even if we were dead last, what are the odds we win the lottery?  I can't do another tank year, I just can't.

If they draft #3, they may trade back a spot and take Strome.    If they do end up with Strome, they'll be in the mix (IMHO) for #1 next season (Matthews).    I know it sounds ridiculous to start looking at the 2016 draft, but the reality is if they don't get McEichel (and ARI does), they'll be right back in the mix for the top pick next season as well.  

Auston Matthews is bigger than Eichel and is putting up slightly better numbers than he did in the USNTDP as a 17 year old.     He's the real deal.   He's an Arizona kid, so I can imagine ARI doing everything they can to nab him next season.   Imagine the fanfare if an ARI kid turns into a superstar in the desert.  

So that means if ARI ends up picking #2 OA  and BUF  #3 OA this year, there's a very real chance for BUF to trade up into ARI's spot (Eichel) if they put together a package that includes next years #1 pick.   ARI will be bad next year with or without McEichel, so if they can grab Hanifin and BUF's number #1 next season to improve their chances at Matthews, then the deal makes sense and is a win/win for both teams. 

I think you're dreaming, really. I don't see anyone trading out of 1/2. Ever. Especially if you're talking about the 2016 draft that even if you go 0-82, you still have a 40% chance of picking 4th.

Edited by Met'yuPirog

With the changes to the lottery system and additions/promotions of Kane, Pysyk, possibly McCabe and Reinhart, a healthy Bogo and Girgs and any other offseason additions, I don't see us at the bottom next year.  We won't be a playoff team but you can see how hard it is to finish DFL even when trying.  I would think we will probably be around 8th worst.  Even if we were dead last, what are the odds we win the lottery?  I can't do another tank year, I just can't.

This team is going nowhere next season.   Think of how bad Buffalo has been since the deadline... 2-7-1... and one of those 2 wins they were severely outplayed (BOS). 

Without McEichel this team is easily a bottom 2 team next season.   Talent wise, BUF is still far and away bottom of the barrel even with Kane in the lineup.    

It'll be a at least one more season before BUF starts their climb out of the basement. 

Will they tank next year?  No.  How can they get any worse?  They can't.   This is the bottom of the rebuild, and they'll improve, but even with some improvement they're still a bottom 2 team.    

Consider their CorsiFor % is 6.5 percentage points worse than the next worse team (37% vs 43.5%).   That next worse team is 11 percentage points worse than the top team in the league.  Bear with me here... so even if Buffalo improves their CF% by 50% of the 17 percentage point difference between them and the top team, that number improves to 37+8.5=45.5%, which would give them the 3rd worst CF% in the entire league.   And with a huge question mark in net (no Enroth or Neuvirth to ride) they should be a bottom 2 team again.

No way they are bottom 2 next year.  The way Murray has spoken many a changes will likely take place this offseason.  There's already ROR rumors which could involve our 1st round pick plus.  Not to mention he's hinted at potentially trading for a young goaltender.  Even if we draft 3rd/4th and that pick doesn't play on this team next year they still won't be a bottom 2 team.  I wouldn't say an automatic no to say 5th last but I highly doubt bottom 2.

If they draft #3, they may trade back a spot and take Strome. If they do end up with Strome, they'll be in the mix (IMHO) for #1 next season (Matthews). I know it sounds ridiculous to start looking at the 2016 draft, but the reality is if they don't get McEichel (and ARI does), they'll be right back in the mix for the top pick next season as well.

Auston Matthews is bigger than Eichel and is putting up slightly better numbers than he did in the USNTDP as a 17 year old. He's the real deal. He's an Arizona kid, so I can imagine ARI doing everything they can to nab him next season. Imagine the fanfare if an ARI kid turns into a superstar in the desert.

So that means if ARI ends up picking #2 OA and BUF #3 OA this year, there's a very real chance for BUF to trade up into ARI's spot (Eichel) if they put together a package that includes next years #1 pick. ARI will be bad next year with or without McEichel, so if they can grab Hanifin and BUF's number #1 next season to improve their chances at Matthews, then the deal makes sense and is a win/win for both teams.

By the time Matthews makes it to the NHL, it'll be for Las Vegas.