Official 2015 NHL Draft Thread

LGR4GM

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/how-buffalo-s-connor-mcdavid-tank-killed-my-passion-for-sabres-hockey-145050744.html?soc_src=mediacontentstory&soc_trk=tw

If anybody wants a good laugh read this non-fan's trash. I had trouble reading after the first few paragraphs about his fandom.

I made it to NBA and then I was like and no.  

Nope I read on and this is where I take away the writers credibility

"I had been a very casual hockey fan my entire life.  I wanted a northern team that didn't have much success but still had a great, intelligent, energetic fanbase. Starting around 2008 or so, I started watching Sabres games because I used to use them in old hockey games and took notice of Ryan Miller and Thomas Vanek."

Well after choking that down all I can say (because I assume the writer posts or posted here) is your're entitled to your opinion but seriously, idc.  The long rant about how we tanked for one player and we are going to be losers forever ignores all the 1st round picks we have made up to this point, the trades we have made up to this point, and the willingness to allow young talent to develop in the proper leagues.  All things ignored by this "fan".  I am sorry yahoo but next time find someone who actually remembers skate in the crease, who actually remembers losing in game 7 of the Conference finals, who actually remembers black friday and who actually saw the old core of Pominville, Vanek, Roy etc... for what they were, weak.  

I am so tired of trying to explain what Murray has been doing and this is yet another example of a Sabres fan trying to box above their mental weight class.  

I frequent a very popular Sabres message board. What used to be a fountain of knowledge for me and a way to connect with longtime Sabres fans is now an insufferable cesspool of cultists marching to that single, solitary drumbeat. Openly rooting for the team to lose, berating anyone who expresses even the slightest morsel of happiness at a win, all the while clamoring for growth from the team.

Hmmmm.....

Also:

Ask the Kings from a couple years ago if they would have rather missed the playoffs instead of sneaking in as a No. 8.

Ask those same Kings fans if they're still upset their team finished 3rd-to last in 2006-7.

Hmmmm.....

Also:

Ask those same Kings fans if they're still upset their team finished 3rd-to last in 2006-7.

Ok.  Who joined the board in '08?

And, more seriously, if the writer is talking about this board, he certainly missed a large difference of opinion about the "tank" until February-ish, and a couple of posters who were decidedly "anti-tank" even up until last Friday night.

Ok.  Who joined the board in '08?

And, more seriously, if the writer is talking about this board, he certainly missed a large difference of opinion about the "tank" until February-ish, and a couple of posters who were decidedly "anti-tank" even up until last Friday night.

:thumbsup:

http://m.edmontonsun.com/2014/12/30/nhl-scout-evaluates-mcdavid-eichel-ahead-of-matchup

This is mostly directed at those who think there is a big gap between McDavid and Eichel and/or will only be satisfied by McDavid. Granted it's one person's opinion, but, it's a really detailed analysis.

Interesting read.  Thanks blue.

He's horrified to be called a Sabre fan?  Here's news for you, you're not.  People who bounce around from sport to sport, team to team, flocking towards whatever catches their eye are not fans.  They're whores.

:lol:

After the first round, any sense of what Sabres do in the 2nd?

It's all basically a mystery after the first few picks. BPA is generally how it goes while somewhat considering prospect depth. They might want to add some defense since most defensive prospects have graduated to the pro ranks. Might want to keep adding forwards to make sure they get it right there. Maybe a goalie since there aren't any good prospects in the system (there's some guys with potential, but they're all still long shots).

McDavid, Strome, Hanifin and others will be attending the draft lottery. Eichel couldn't be there for family reasons.

Why on earth do they need players to be present for the lottery?  That has to be about the dumbest development out of this whole thing.

After the first round, any sense of what Sabres do in the 2nd?

It will depend on who slides.  Inevitably someone who is ranked 20-29 will slide to the 2nd round. My money is on Kylington to slide and either Sprong or Boeser or someone like that with solid upside but questions will slide.  It is one of the advantages of picking early in the 2nd.  A lot of good players are still there if you can identify them.  Jake McCabe comes to mind as does JT Compher.  

He's horrified to be called a Sabre fan?  Here's news for you, you're not.  People who bounce around from sport to sport, team to team, flocking towards whatever catches their eye are not fans.  They're whores.

... I kind of love you for saying this.  

Why on earth do they need players to be present for the lottery?  That has to be about the dumbest development out of this whole thing.

I guess that I could see McDavid and Eichel, because they would instantly know which teams they are going to.  However, since there really isn't a consensus #3, the rest of the guys wouldn't know anything except who they're not going to.

Edited by carpandean

Tomorrow the NHL will publish the list of lottery numbers to teams.   

I'm interested to see what team gets the 1001st combination... if any.

No one.  I read something the other day that if that one combination comes up, they do it all over again.

No one.  I read something the other day that if that one combination comes up, they do it all over again.

So Buffalo gets 200 out of 1001 combinations, which is 19.98%..... NOT 20% as the league is advertising.    

If Buffalo loses the lottery we can file a class action lawsuit against the league for defrauding the fans out of a 0.02% chance at McDavid.

So Buffalo gets 200 out of 1001 combinations, which is 19.98%..... NOT 20% as the league is advertising.    

If Buffalo loses the lottery we can file a class action lawsuit against the league for defrauding the fans out of a 0.02% chance at McDavid.

I'm not following. Buffalo gets 200 out of the possible 1,000 usable combinations. 

GO SABRES!!!

I'm not following. Buffalo gets 200 out of the possible 1,000 usable combinations. 

GO SABRES!!!

The fact that the 1001st combination is a possibility, reduces the odds of all teams by 0.02%.   They're not removing the possibility of that number coming up, so it must be factored in.

The fact that the 1001st combination is a possibility, reduces the odds of all teams by 0.02%.   They're not removing the possibility of that number coming up, so it must be factored in.

The only way you'd be right is if Connor McDavid was granted UFA status if that one combination came up.  That combination only results in a redraw, so as K9 said, it is the equivalent of their being only 1000 possible results.

Edited by shrader

...and the pre-draft combine (June 1-6) is in Buffalo?   Did we know that?   I think we did. anyway it will interesting to see how McDavid and Eichel matchup strength and fitness wise.  

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=761694

The only way you'd be right is if Connor McDavid was granted UFA status if that one combination came up.  That combination only results in a redraw, so as K9 said, it is the equivalent of their being only 1000 possible results.

But that combination is still a possibility in the redraw, it's not thrown out.   So each re-draw, the possibility of one of Buffalo's 200 numbers coming up is still 200/1001, or 19.98%.

...and the pre-draft combine (June 1-6) is in Buffalo?   Did we know that?   I think we did. anyway it will interesting to see how McDavid and Eichel matchup strength and fitness wise.  

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=761694

But that combination is still a possibility in the redraw, it's not thrown out.   So each re-draw, the possibility of one of Buffalo's 200 numbers coming up is still 200/1001, or 19.98%.

What you're arguing is that there is a 0.28% chance that no one wins the lottery (0.02*14).  Stop and think for a second what that means.  We can put together some long winded explanation with conditional probability, but what it all comes down to is that since the requirement is that the lottery has to end with one team winning, the chances as outlined by the league are correct.

Edited by shrader

What you're arguing is that there is a 0.28% chance that no one wins the lottery (0.02*14).  Stop and think for a second what that means.  We can put together some long winded explanation with conditional probability, but what it all comes down to is that since the requirement is that the lottery has to end with one team winning, the chances as outlined by the league are correct.

There is a statistical probability that the 1001st combination keeps coming up over and over for eternity, which means nobody ever gets McDavid.    

Again, if they removed that 1001st number from the draw, then it would be right, 200/1000, but they can't do that, so each draw is 200/1001.   Doesn't matter if that 1001st number is a re-draw, it still a "non-win" for Buffalo. 

There is a statistical probability that the 1001st combination keeps coming up over and over for eternity, which means nobody ever gets McDavid.    

Again, if they removed that 1001st number from the draw, then it would be right, 200/1000, but they can't do that, so each draw is 200/1001.   Doesn't matter if that 1001st number is a re-draw, it still a "non-win" for Buffalo. 

You are quibbling. 

But since it reduces EVERY team's chances by the same minute amount, the Sabres' chances, relative to everyone else's remains constant. 

GO SABRES!!!

You are quibbling. 

But since it reduces EVERY team's chances by the same minute amount, the Sabres' chances, relative to everyone else's remains constant. 

GO SABRES!!!

True.  But those chances (all teams) are not as advertised by the league.