Official 2015 NHL Draft Thread

LGR4GM

Part of it is too, that I am less comfortable with our GT situation going forward and extremely comfortable with the depth at forward so I am willing to use a 2nd round pick on a GT.  Usually however Bob has it right, I prefer to wait until really late in the 2nd or the 3rd round to grab a GT because honestly you can find some really great guys there.

I'm not nearly as comfortable as you. :) LW seems OK, and C (assuming McEichel) looks good, but RW seems to have holes. Right now, there are 3 guys on the team listed at RW: Gionta, Kaleta, and D'Amigo. The Sabres are counting on a couple of our overstock Centers and kids can step in. I don't see a first-line shooter in the overstocks, so the Sabres are really counting one of the kids to be a 1st-line talent. Cross your fingers.

Edited by Met'yuPirog

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/juniors/auston-matthews-leads-a-new-wave-of-nhl-stars-to-be/

Not sure where to put this, but it's an article on Austin Matthews, who missed this draft class by 2 days. The takeaway? There's a hockey player named Christian Cakebread. Seriously. I don't care if he's any good, I want us to draft him whenever he's eligible.

Maybe one day I will understand why Crouse is ranked ahead of Marner?  this coming after Marner puts up 6 points and is dominating his play-off series (7G 5A in 3 games).

Again I would say the people ranking Marner below Strome & Crouse probably are the same ones that ranked Patrick Kane below Kyle Turris in their draft year.

IF the Sabres draft 3rd I think its going to be a difficult decision between Hanifin and Marner.

Maybe one day I will understand why Crouse is ranked ahead of Marner?  this coming after Marner puts up 6 points and is dominating his play-off series (7G 5A in 3 games).

Again I would say the people ranking Marner below Strome & Crouse probably are the same ones that ranked Patrick Kane below Kyle Turris in their draft year.

IF the Sabres draft 3rd I think its going to be a difficult decision between Hanifin and Marner.

I completely agree.  Marner just keeps getting better. He is a little streaky at times but he shows up big when needed. 

Marner: 44g, 82a, 126a in 63 games for the regular season.  7g, 5a, 12pts in 3 games so far in the postseason. 

Why do we love tall men

So hockeybuzz, no this ins't an April fool's thing, has just posted a discussion of the HIS rankings for april

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=67594

Here are the rankings:

attachicon.gifESPN_April2015.PNG

1.  What are HIS rankings?

2.  April Fool's day is like opposite day, so it's the one day a year when we can take that site seriously.

1.  What are HIS rankings?

2.  April Fool's day is like opposite day, so it's the one day a year when we can take that site seriously.

I don't know what HIS rankings are.  Something at ESPN I am guessing?  I read the article twice but it didn't seem like April Fool's stuff so apparently some ranking somewhere put Eichel at #3.  

I take Strome over Marner.  A 6'3 C is more valuable than a 5'11 winger.  Not to mention Strome had more points in the regular season.  Having said that, I still think Hannifin goes 3rd.

I take Strome over Marner.  A 6'3 C is more valuable than a 5'11 winger.  Not to mention Strome had more points in the regular season.  Having said that, I still think Hannifin goes 3rd.

I honestly don't know enough about any of these kids to comment with any great insight, but Marner is absolutely tearing up the OHL playoffs with 12 points in the first three games. That's serious kick ass. 

GO SABRES!!!

Do we take Hanifin over Strome?

I would. Puck moving defense is the in thing and with Pysik having issues I would take Hanifin. Worst thing that happens is you can move a d for a right winger.

I hope not, Zadorov is a monster who likes to kill anything that moves, Hanifin won't even look at you the wrong way.

What do you suggest? Take strome or marner over hannifin and just wait for the rebuild to run it's course over the next three years and hope one of them turn out? Draft hannifin and trade him? Trade the pick? Options are there but if hanifin is best available then I want him. What do you do from there?

Do we take Hanifin over Strome?

I don't think we do. Murray said last year he'd have taken Reinhart #1 (which is at least 50/50 total BS, but for the sake of conversation, I'll say he was being honest). If Murray is really into the fancystats (I think he is), then one thing he probably buys into is just how much more important forwards are for possession than defenseman. Couple that with Risto's development and questions about Hanifin's offensive upside, and I think he goes forward.