OT - 2014 NFL Draft

I normally agree with you, but not here. He loves everyone!!!!!!! Its a tad annoying.

I'm with Ink on this one. Gruden knows his stuff. He doesn't fluff up certain players like Pierre Maguire does with lame, run of the mill adjectives, he's analytical.

I don't watch college football, but the video on Watkins is amazing.

And the consensus is the guy is a playmaker, and a stud, maybe the best skill player in the draft.

He was the number one player on their board and given their needs, it seems to me he should have been.

They should still be able to fix the hole at tackle at 41.

Shouldn't we be a bit more excited?

I'm excited. I like seeing big offensive players come in.

Once again I'll emphasizes I'm not jumping for joy about losing next year's 1st, but I also don't understand the consternation either. The Bills have missed the playoffs for 15 straight years, what does it even matter at this point? If EJ busts we're looking at 2 years minimum before the playoffs again, so at worst now we're looking at 3. So the F what? Risking being mediocre a little longer should be the least of our concerns.

Bills Roundup: Sammy Watkins First Round Pick <4:53>

Chris Brown and John Murphy recap the Bills first round of the NFL Draft and their selection of Clemson wide receiver Sammy Watkins.

Russ Brandon: "We made a bold move" <8:30>

President & CEO Russ Brandon & General Manager Doug Whaley

Dabo Swinney: Watkins a low-maintenance superstar <8:33>

Clemson Tigers head coach Dabo Swinney talks with John Murphy about Sammy Watkins 'wow' factor and more.
Edited by 26CornerBlitz

I'm enjoying the stuff with the Browns today. The whole thing reminds me of the year where they did some wheeling and dealing and walked away with Brady Quinn.

And on to Watkins. If nothing else, it's good to see us actually being one of the big stories of the draft day for once. In two quick years, we've turned a ridiculously thin core of WRs into what looks to be a very strong group. If they can patch up the line a bit in the 2nd, this offense stands to be very interesting. And let's face it, with the passing league this has turned out to be, we are moving in the right direction here. Now we just have to hope for the best with EJ...

4th round they should be looking at Murray or McCarron to provide a plausible backup for Manuel. The trade up is fine. Seems slightly steep but not outrageous. It means they are going all in on Manuel so yup guess we shall see what happens.

I love the pick. It means Graham is gone...no need for Hogan to play offense again, and we actually have a good problem trying to get all these play makers on the field. I doubt you see Stevie move for much value, unless it's a player-player trade. Doubt you see any valuable pick come in for him. Honestly I'd rather not see Stevie leave.

I'm hoping we get an o-lineman tonight (2nd or 3rd), and some more defensive depth beyond that. Probably should pick up a RB at some point.

Once again I'll emphasizes I'm not jumping for joy about losing next year's 1st, but I also don't understand the consternation either. The Bills have missed the playoffs for 15 straight years, what does it even matter at this point? If EJ busts we're looking at 2 years minimum before the playoffs again, so at worst now we're looking at 3. So the F what? Risking being mediocre a little longer should be the least of our concerns.

Right on. So we miss the playoffs once AGAIN if this doesn't work out? To steal a line from Madame Hillary...

post-61-0-37901400-1399640405_thumb.jpg

I'm with Ink on this one. Gruden knows his stuff. He doesn't fluff up certain players like Pierre Maguire does with lame, run of the mill adjectives, he's analytical.

Chucky doesn't use run of the mill adjectives? His vocabulary is limited to run of the mill adjectives.

Yes. Dear god yes.

Sammy Watkins is on WGR550 right now for those interested.

I heard him with Murph about an hour after the pick. Said he was excited to be a Bill, followed the Bills as a kid because he liked the colors, knows who Perry Tuttle is, liked Bledsoe and Moulds, and is looking forward to getting to work.

Did he say anything of note this morning?

I can tell that you're not that familiar with Watkins based on your reaction.

You are correct that I'm not very familiar with Watkins, but my reaction would be the same if I were. It's an awful lot to give up for any wide receiver.

Edited by Eleven

Well, here's where i'm at. Love the player we got. Sammy Watkins is a #1 WR on any team and the Bills last year had a bunch of #2s out there. The offense died when we lost Stevie and every team could focus on Woods. I would compare Watkins to Julio Jones, which if that turns out to be true, instantly gives us a matchup problem with opposing defenses. That's the whole point.

In terms of the trade up cost, this is a gamble on making the playoffs this year. If the Bills make the playoffs, then the 1st rounder next year is in the 20+ range. Well worth it. If you fail this year and miss the playoffs, you could end up like the Redskins and losing the #2 overall (to the Rams) this year. That's a tough pill to swallow. Whaley is gambling on this year being the year to take a major step forward out of the mediocrity carousel.

If it fails, then its because EJ isn't the answer at QB and we start the cycle all over again with a new QB in 3 years.

In the morning light, I hate this even more. Two first-round picks for a wide receiver. Ugh.

How do those thistles taste, Eeyore?

And it's not 2 firsts for a WR. It's a swap of 1st round picks and next year's 1st for a WR, who happens to be a consensus elite play maker prospect.

If this plan doesn't work, at least they took a big hard swing at it. They can hit re-set on EJ in 2016 if need be.

I don't watch college football, but the video on Watkins is amazing.

And the consensus is the guy is a playmaker, and a stud, maybe the best skill player in the draft.

He was the number one player on their board and given their needs, it seems to me he should have been.

They should still be able to fix the hole at tackle at 41.

Shouldn't we be a bit more excited?

In the abstract, yes. In the real world of relentless mediocrity that is the Buffalo Bills -- no.

I'm at the point where I'm inclined to believe that everything they do is wrong.

They have no reason not to gamble. Playing it safe is how you go 31 years without drafting a franchise QB.

They haven't played it safe. They've played it stupidly and cheapskatedly.

It matters because the most likely scenario is that:

- The Bills are sold at some point in the next 6 months;

- The new owner hires a new team president and GM;

- The Bills are lousy again this coming season; and

- The new GM now has no #1 pick (which probably would've been in the 8th to 12th overall range) to work with.

Brandon and Whaley have an inherent conflict of interest. I'm sure they want to win, but they have a pressing need to make the case to the new owners that they are worth keeping. Addressing that need is not necessarily consistent with doing what is best for the franchise.

In the morning light, I hate this even more. Two first-round picks for a wide receiver. Ugh.

Not just 2 picks. The #9 overall pick and next year's...#8? #10? Maybe #5 or #6 if EJ is a washout and the defense regresses under the new DC?

Does anyone here really think this is going to put them into the playoffs?

Edited by nfreeman

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.