OT - 2014 NFL Draft

Then presumably you'd be just as upset if they stayed at 9, right? If this is your legitimate attitude, I guess I don't understand why you even remotely care.

Well, that's just wrong. He hasn't single-handedly turned them into the 2000 Ravens, but come on man.

I'm not really upset about the trade -- I just think that given their record of incompetence, it's much more likely to prove out to have been a bad move than a good one.

I care because I'm from Buffalo, I've been a STH for more years than I care to remember and I have given them everything I had to give as a fan, and have in return received stunningly poor performance for the last 15 years -- and, most infuriatingly, that poor performance IMHO has been the result of them not really trying as an organization.

As for Dareus -- come on where? A DT taken at #3 overall is supposed to be an impact player and contribute to the team being stout against the run. Dareus isn't half as good as Pat Williams was or a tenth as good as Ted Washington was -- not to mention the fact that he appears to value getting baked more than coming to practice on time.

Look at their results last year -- they gave up 20+ first downs EIGHT times, and 19 first downs 3 more times. I'm glad they finally put together a pass rush, but really, BFD. They were overmatched against high-end offenses and they couldn't stop the run. Whenever they play the Pats the D seems like it's there to host a track meet. And let's not forget that they let their only playmaker on D walk out the door this summer.

Laughable!

Enjoy your giggles. Do you think their D is going to be better or worse than it was last year?

Do you think any of the teams holding a top-10 pick in the draft last night would've traded that pick straight up for Dareus?

I'm not really upset about the trade -- I just think that given their record of incompetence, it's much more likely to prove out to have been a bad move than a good one.

I care because I'm from Buffalo, I've been a STH for more years than I care to remember and I have given them everything I had to give as a fan, and have in return received stunningly poor performance for the last 15 years -- and, most infuriatingly, that poor performance IMHO has been the result of them not really trying as an organization.

As for Dareus -- come on where? A DT taken at #3 overall is supposed to be an impact player and contribute to the team being stout against the run. Dareus isn't half as good as Pat Williams was or a tenth as good as Ted Washington was -- not to mention the fact that he appears to value getting baked more than coming to practice on time.

Look at their results last year -- they gave up 20+ first downs EIGHT times, and 19 first downs 3 more times. I'm glad they finally put together a pass rush, but really, BFD. They were overmatched against high-end offenses and they couldn't stop the run. Whenever they play the Pats the D seems like it's there to host a track meet. And let's not forget that they let their only playmaker on D walk out the door this summer.

Enjoy your giggles. Do you think their D is going to be better or worse than it was last year?

Do you think any of the teams holding a top-10 pick in the draft last night would've traded that pick straight up for Dareus?

Who knows? But I do know that you're deeply ensconced in a cavern of negative thinking. You desperately need an escape valve. Good luck.

I detect a strong disregard for Watkin's credentials coming out of college. I can't think of one other WR prospect in recent years that matches those credentials coming out. He's a generational talent at the position.

The reaction to this trade reminds me a lot of the reaction to the Bennett trade. Of course 27 years after the fact and with the knowledge of how it all turned out will cause people to deny they were against it at the time, but half the city wanted to run Polian out of town for mortgaging the future of a team coming off a 4-12 season and half-way through a strike-shortened season when he made the deal.

Fortune favors the bold. I am not the least bit worried about giving up a TOTALLY unknown value at this point in time for the best offensive talent in the draft. Just like I loved getting the best defensive talent in the draft in '87.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

<snip>

<snip>

nfreeman, you're probably a cool dude in the real world and we'd probably have a good talk about football, hockey, and Bflo. But I gotta tell you, the bolded part above is not flattering.

Did you enjoy any aspect of any of those games? The tailgates? Hanging with friends? If not, what's the point?

You renew your tix like it's some act of great charity, feel betrayed for whatever reason when they don't win, but repeat the process for 15 years. Whose fault is that?

Seriously dude, it makes me want to buy you a beer and tell you to suck it up and grow some balls.

nfreeman, you're probably a cool dude in the real world and we'd probably have a good talk about football, hockey, and Bflo. But I gotta tell you, the bolded part above is not flattering.

Did you enjoy any aspect of any of those games? The tailgates? Hanging with friends? If not, what's the point?

You renew your tix like it's some act of great charity, feel betrayed for whatever reason when they don't win, but repeat the process for 15 years. Whose fault is that?

Seriously dude, it makes me want to buy you a beer and tell you to suck it up and grow some balls.

Grow some balls how? By giving up my tickets? How would that demonstrate balls?

And to be clear -- it's not the failure to win that makes me feel betrayed -- it's the organization's failure (not that of the individual players or coaches) to try.

I detect a strong disregard for Watkin's credentials coming out of college. I can't think of one other WR prospect in recent years that matches those credentials coming out. He's a generational talent at the position.

The reaction to this trade reminds me a lot of the reaction to the Bennett trade. Of course 27 years after the fact and with the knowledge of how it all turned out will cause people to deny they were against it at the time, but half the city wanted to run Polian out of town for mortgaging the future of a team coming off a 4-12 season and half-way through a strike-shortened season when he made the deal.

Fortune favors the bold. I am not the least bit worried about giving up a TOTALLY unknown value at this point in time for the best offensive talent in the draft. Just like I loved getting the best defensive talent in the draft in '87.

GO BILLS!!!

Not sure if you're referring to me, but I have made no judgment on the basis of Watkins's credentials. Only on the price paid relative to his position.

I didn't have much of an opinion on the Bennett trade; the Bills were barely on my radar at that point in my life.

Grow some balls how? By giving up my tickets? How would that demonstrate balls?

It could be that I read it differently than you wrote it, but here's what I saw: You paid, you went, you received nothing out of it, and the team is to blame for that. "Woe is me" and "how could they do this to me after all I've done!" The "grow a pair" means stop allowing yourself to be a victim. If that means dumping your tix, then so be it, but just stop with the "I've given all I have to give" routine.

And to be clear -- it's not the failure to win that makes me feel betrayed -- it's the organization's failure (not that of the individual players or coaches) to try.

I think you are mistaking ambivalence for incompetence.

It could be that I read it differently than you wrote it, but here's what I saw: You paid, you went, you received nothing out of it, and the team is to blame for that. "Woe is me" and "how could they do this to me after all I've done!" The "grow a pair" means stop allowing yourself to be a victim. If that means dumping your tix, then so be it, but just stop with the "I've given all I have to give" routine.

I was asked why I care. I responded by saying that I care because they are my hometown team and I've been a fan my whole life -- and what really bothers me is that I seem to care more than they do.

Perhaps that does make me a victim, but I haven't really thought of it that way. I'm just PO'd that they keep trotting out one loser after another to run the team, with predictable, and consistent, results.

I think you are mistaking ambivalence for incompetence.

I think you are misusing the word "ambivalence."

I have hacked nfreeman's account and substituted "Bills" for "Sabres" from 2006-2014.........

I know I need to lighten up. I don't want to rain on everyone's parade. Watkins seems like a good kid, and it's reasonably possible that EJ turns out to be a good QB, that Watkins turns out to be a gamebreaker and that the 2 of them develop good chemistry and have great careers here. I sure would love to see it.

But Sabres under TP are nothing whatsoever like the Bills have been for the last decade. The Sabres are trying. The Bills haven't been.

<snip>

I think you are misusing the word "ambivalence."

Haha! I sure did, good catch!

I meant "apathy." And I don't see them as having been apathetic, just various degrees of incompetent.

I remember being absolutely giddy about getting Biscuit. And then Paup...

Once upon a time free agents and draft picks wanted to come to Buffalo... Once upon a time, a long time ago. Now kids say all the right things on draft day. And the second they get a chance to bolt, they leave this team faster that a South Korean ferry crew on a capsizing ship full of kids...

Edited by wjag

I'm confused. I thought we were trying to make the playoffs. Now we go and make ourselves worse? I was wrong, I guess they are counting on Mike Williams to contribute. Yeesh.

I don't see what the problem is. I liked Stevie but the guy was missing that last piece of focus to make the big plays.

I don't see what the problem is. I liked Stevie but the guy was missing that last piece of focus to make the big plays.

HHe was our best receiver. And I think he still would have been with Watkins as a rookie. You don't get better trading your best at a position for a mid round pick a year off.

HHe was our best receiver. And I think he still would have been with Watkins as a rookie. You don't get better trading your best at a position for a mid round pick a year off.

I'd trade Chandler for that :P

The 49'rs paid a steep price for them considering Stevie will be Kaepernick's 4th option behind Crabtree, Davis, and Boldin. He's basically there because when they play Seattle, Davis and Crabtree are essentially taken off the field. Stevie will be the second option in divisional games (4th overall, but 2nd realistically.)

Edited by WildCard

Lmao you're hilarious. Everybody else is stupid for trading/falling for the "flash" but when the Saints do it it's brilliant.

Are you seriously trying to say the situation teams like the Bills, Lions and Browns are in is the same as a team like the Saints? I will assume you are kidding and you know the difference between building and fine tuning. Otherwise would be way too sad.

You are correct that I'm not very familiar with Watkins, but my reaction would be the same if I were. It's an awful lot to give up for any wide receiver.

Likely two top 10 picks and a fourth is what the Bills will end up paying. For a price tag that high, there will be a ton of pressure for Watkins to come out of the gate flying and producing from down number one.

Edited by deluca67

List of guys I would take at 41 based on what's available:

1. Cyrus Kouandjio, OT, Bama

2. Morgan Moses, OT, Virginia

3. Kony Ealy, DE, Missouri

4. Scott Crichton, DE, Oregon State

5. Austin Seferian-Jenkins, TE, Washington

Wouldn't hate Kyle Van Noy either, but I would prefer they to OT/DE for the next two rounds.

Edited by Tankalicious

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.