GDT: Buffalo at Edmonton 3-20-14 at 9:30 PM EDT

26CornerBlitz

logo.png

GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

107803868_slide.jpg

GAME #70: BUF (19-42-8) at EDM (25-36-9) – THU MAR 20 – 9:30 PM EDT – MSG-B, TSNWGR-550

BUFFALO SABRES BuffaloSabresSmiley-1.png

Final Lineup

82 Marcus Foligno – 63 Tyler Ennis – 21 Drew Stafford ("A")

88 Cory Conacher – 19 Cody Hodgson – 17 Torrey Mitchell

44 Nicolas Deslauriers – 65 Brian Flynn – 27 Matt D’Agostini

32 John Scott – 24 Zenon Konopka – 37 Matt Ellis

X: 28 Zemgus Girgensons (LBI), 80 Chris Stewart (ankle), 23 Ville Leino (healthy)

10 Christian Ehrhoff ("A") – 55 Rasmus Ristolainen

20 Henrik Tallinder ("A") – 5 Chad Ruhwedel

6 Mike Weber – 4 Jamie McBain

X: 52 Alexander Sulzer (LBI), 57 Tyler Myers (elbow)

31 Matt Hackett

50 Nathan Lieuwen

X: 1 Jhonas Enroth (LBI), 34 Michal Neuvirth (LBI)

Lineup News & Notes

F Zemgus Girgensons (LBI), F Chris Stewart (ankle), F Zenon Konopka (healthy), D Alex Sulzer (LBI), D Tyler Myers (elbow),

and G Michal Neuvirth were scratches in Tuesday's 3-1 loss at Calgary.

Weekly Transactions

03/15: Recalled D Rasmus Ristolainen (emergency basis) from Rochester (AHL).

03/16: Recalled G Nathan Lieuwen (emergency basis) from Rochester (AHL).

03/17: Recalled G Matt Hackett (emergency basis) from Rochester (AHL).

According to the Stats

In the last 10 games, Buffalo has gone 2-8-0.

Drew Stafford has five points (4G/1A) in the past six games.

EDMONTON OILERS SmileyOilers2.png

Final Lineup

4 Taylor Hall – 89 Sam Gagner – 57 David Perron

51 Anton Lander – 93 Ryan Nugent-Hopkins – 68 Tyler Pitlick

23 Matt Hendricks ("A") – 27 Boyd Gordon – 94 Ryan Smyth ("A")

20 Luke Gazdic – 28 Ryan Jones

X: 6 Jesse Joensuu (ankle), 64 Nail Yakupov (ankle), 14 Jordan Eberle (knee), 33 Steve MacIntyre (healthy)

85 Martin Marincin – 2 Jeff Petry

84 Oscar Klefbom – 21 Andrew Ference ("C")

5 Mark Fraser – 19 Justin Schultz

36 Philip Larsen

30 Ben Scrivens

35 Viktor Fasth

Lineup News & Notes

Edmonton scratched F Nail Yaukupov and F Jesse Joensuu in Tuesday's 5-1 win vs. Nashville.

D Anton Belov (oblique) is on IR.

Weekly Transactions

03/19: Recalled F Tyler Pitlick (emergency basis) from Oklahoma City (AHL).

03/19: Recalled F Steve MacIntyre (emergency basis) from Oklahoma City (AHL).

According to the Stats

In the Last 10 games, Edmonton has gone 5-3-2.

Sam Gagner has 10 points in his last 11 games.

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins & Jordan Eberle each had three-points in Tuesday's win over Nashville.

PREGAME LINKS

03/19 – GAME RECAP: Sabres drop seventh straight in Lieuwen's first start (Kevin Snow – Sabres.com)

03/18 – GAME RECAP: Oilers 5, Predators 1 (Chris Wescott – edmontonoilers.com)

03/19 – Hackett making first start for Sabres (Eric Goodman – NHL.com)

03/19 – BEYOND THE BOARDS: CHANGES ON THE WAY AS SABRES PREP FOR EDMONTON (Kevin Snow – Sabres.com)

03/19 – Inside the Oilers (edmontonoilers.com)

03/19 – Jordan Eberle hurt; Edmonton Oilers recall enforcer Steve MacIntyre (Jonathan Willis – edmontonjournal.com)

03/19 – Sabres goalie Matt Hackett to start against Oilers (Bill Hoppe – Olean Times Herald)

03/19 – Game Preview: 3/20/14 at Edmonton Oilers (Ian Ott – Sabres PR)

03/19 – Dallas Eakins shares his thoughts on Yakupov and Hendricks and Pitlick call-up.<8:39>

03/19 – Dan Dunleavy recaps Wednesday's practice at Millennium Place in Edmonton. <1:46>

03/19 – Ted Nolan speaks with the media following Wednesday's practice at Millennium Place in Edmonton. <3:16>

03/19 – Michal Neuvirth speaks with the media following Wednesday's practice at Millennium Place in Edmonton. <1:57>

03/19 – Matt Hackett speaks with the media following Wednesday's practice at Millennium Place in Edmonton. <4:06>

03/19 – Nicholas Deslauriers speaks with the media following Wednesday's practice at Millennium Place in Edmonton. <2:53>

03/19 – The Panel breaks down recent Injury reports and the team's recent success in this week's episode.<5:12>

03/20 – Sabres at Oilers Game Notes PDF (Sabres.com)

03/20 – Press Clips: 3/20/14 at Edmonton Oilers (Ian Ott – Sabres PR)

03/20 – Oilers head coach Dallas Eakins looks ahead to tonight's game against Buffalo.<4:47>

03/20 – THE OTHER SIDE | Sabres Pre-Game Chris Wescott gets a one-on-one with Sabres right-winger Drew Stafford.<3:22>

03/20 – Ted Nolan speaks with the media following Thursday's morning skate at Rexall Place.<3:34>

03/20 – Dan Dunleavy previews Thursday night's game against the Oilers at Rexall Place. <2:05>

03/20 – Drew Stafford speaks with the media following Thursday's morning skate at Rexall Place. <2:38>

03/20 – Tyler Ennis speaks with the media following Thursday's morning skate at Rexall Place. <1:56>

03/20 – THE MORNING SKATE: "HACK" IS BACK TO FACE THE OILERS (Kevin Snow – Sabres.com)

03/20 – GAME PREVIEW: Oilers vs. Sabres (Chris Wescott – edmontonoilers.com)

03/20 – Tom Gazzola has the pre-game story as injuries will force the Oilers to tweak the lineup against Buffalo.<2:28>

03/20 – Joe Sacco speaks with Brian Duff prior to Thursday night's game against the Oilers at Rexall Place. <1:27>

POSTGAME LINKS

03/21 – GAME RECAP: CONACHER SPARKS BUFFALO WIN OVER EDMONTON (Kevin Snow – Sabres.com)

03/20 – Brian Duff and Dan Dunleavy recap the Sabres 3-1 win against the Oilers. <4:26>

03/20 – Ted Nolan speaks with the media following the Sabres 3-1 win against the Oilers. <2:18>

03/20 – Matt Hackett speaks with Brian Duff and Brad May following the Sabres 3-1 win against the Oilers. <2:05>

03/20 – Drew Stafford speaks with the media following the Sabres 3-1 win against the Oilers. <1:54>

03/20 – Cory Conacher speaks with Brian Duff following the Sabres 3-1 win against the Oilers. <3:16>

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

I was just gonna make one but I had faith in 26, you never fail us :worthy:

Evidently a "must-lose" for tank nation. I don't think I'll be able to catch this one (buddy's are coming back so we're heading into town) but hopefully they'll have it on the tv's there. I'll be lurking in these threads so for those that still post in the GDT, gracias :thumbsup:

Hackett Starting.

"Hackett, acquired from Minnesota in the Jason Pominville trade at last year’s deadline, is 13-17-2 in 33 games with the Rochester Americans this season, with a 3.07 GAA and .898 save%"

Should be a real doozie of a game. Just how will anybody be able to get through this day and wait until that 9 p.m. puck drop? The anticipation is killing me.

Ristolainen in the lineup always makes me happy. He looked a lot better since his time in Rochester. Something about him seems calming and he isn't afraid to let a quick shot go. Glad he is back up and I fully expect him to be up full time next season.

I always want us to win but also #ThinkTank

The Oilers are really facing the injury bug with Eberle and Yakupov both out. Hendricks might also be out.

03/19 – The Panel breaks down recent Injury reports and the team's recent success in this week's episode.<5:12>

03/20 – Sabres at Oilers Game Notes PDF (Sabres.com)

03/20 – Press Clips: 3/20/14 at Edmonton Oilers (Ian Ott – Sabres PR)

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

I was just gonna make one but I had faith in 26, you never fail us :worthy:

Evidently a "must-lose" for tank nation. I don't think I'll be able to catch this one (buddy's are coming back so we're heading into town) but hopefully they'll have it on the tv's there. I'll be lurking in these threads so for those that still post in the GDT, gracias :thumbsup:

Thanks 26CB.

I will miss these GDT when the season mercifully ends.

A 10:30 PM (ADT) start time ... NS will be a healthy scratch for this one. That's way past my bedies time.

MUST LOSE!!

As always,

GO SABRES!!

Thanks Gents!

Evidently per Andrew Peters the Oil have called up a tough guy on an emergency call up. So there will be that kind of entertainment at least in the game.

Turned off SHH because the prospect of a Scott-MacIntyre fight is all dumb dumb and Shillvester have been talking about...ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

At any rate, according to Jonathan Willis of the Edmonton Journal, the "tough guy" recall has nothing to do with squaring off against Scott.

The Oilers have been beset by injuries up front. Eberle joins Nail Yakupov, Matt Hendricks and Jesse Joensuu as banged up forwards, leaving Edmonton suddenly a little shy on wingers. MacIntyre isn’t the kind of player who can step in for any of those injured forwards, but a) the Oilers’ final position in the standings is of little importance and b) this allows a Barons team already deprived of a number of top players to keep fighting for a playoff spot, something that the team sees as valuable for the development of its young players.

The Oilers have been beset by injuries up front. Eberle joins Nail Yakupov, Matt Hendricks and Jesse Joensuu as banged up forwards, leaving Edmonton suddenly a little shy on wingers. MacIntyre isn’t the kind of player who can step in for any of those injured forwards, but a) the Oilers’ final position in the standings is of little importance and b) this allows a Barons team already deprived of a number of top players to keep fighting for a playoff spot, something that the team sees as valuable for the development of its young players.

ZOMG! I hope the NHL is going to do something about this blatant tanking!

So when is the last time the Sabres started five different guys in goal over one season? Has it ever happened?

In 88-89, six goalies saw action. Puppa-Cloutier-Barrasso-Malarchuk-Wakaluk-Eliot. I don't know if all of them started a game. Eliot played in two games and logged 67 minutes — he could have replaced the starter in those games. Five goalies also played in 95-96.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.